Old March 30, 2001, 08:05   #1
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 04:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hey Wes!!
Wes,
I read in another thread that you don't do any SLIC coding. I thought that was the basis of modmaking. What all do you do, and if you don't use SLIC encoding then why would it be needed at all? Thanks!
Old March 30, 2001, 08:10   #2
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

One other question I had, and this will show my ignorance, what folder structure do the files that get unzipped for your mod need to have? I have been unzipping all the files straight into the C:\Program Files\Activision\Call to Power 2\ folder. Is that correct? Or should I be adding other folders for the individual files (one for the pictures.zip, one for the sprites, and one for the texts?) Thanks.

------------------
DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
Old March 30, 2001, 08:49   #3
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:57
'cause Wes has people doing the SLIC for him. It's not absolutely necessary to have SLIC in your mods, but it is the most powerful tool that is have available, so the really advanced stuff will have to be done in SLIC. Adding units and changing the pace of technological advancement can easily be done without SLIC though.

To answer your other question: that depends on the mod. Most mod-makers (including Wes) make their zip-files in such a fashion that you can indeed unzip in your main CtP2 folder, but sometimes it's different. That's what readme' are for...
Old March 30, 2001, 08:53   #4
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Thanks! Quick question, do you know anything about error messages in SLIC? I tried to install Medmod, and it gives me a SLIC error, something about Index 0 being out of bounds. Any ideas? THanks!

------------------
Old March 30, 2001, 09:19   #5
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

You'd better ask if there's anyting I don't know about SLIC Set DebugSLIC to No in userprofile.txt (ctp_program\ctp folder), that should do the trick.
Old March 30, 2001, 09:37   #6
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Thanks! One more question, and I will really be showing my ignorance here!! Won't setting DebugSLIC to no just make so that the error message doesn't appear? Will the error still be happening and it just doesn't tell me? I mean there is a reason the error is coming up, right? The error is

C:\Program Fles\Activision\Call To Power 2 ctp2_data\default\gamedata\MM2_scenario2.slc:135:A rray index 0 out of bounds.

If I just disable DebugSLIC, will that make so the mod isn't working right? Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to learn more about SLIC and making mods and I guess asking questions is one way to do it! Thanks for your help!

------------------
Old March 30, 2001, 15:10   #7
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Here is one piece of information Rhuarc:

C:\Program Fles\Activision\Call To Power 2 ctp2_data\default\gamedata\MM2_scenario2.slc:135:A rray index 0 means that there is an error in line 135 of MM2_scenario2.slc. There is nothing more about that error I know.

-Martin
Old March 30, 2001, 16:45   #8
alley_cat
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:57
I don't really know what debugslic do. All i know is that it makes a lot of problems to all of us. i'm pretty sure that if you will disable it (by typing "no") than your problem will be solved.
Try and see...