Old May 12, 2001, 08:27   #1
M_DoubleU
Settler

Local Time: 10:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Activating Frenzy AI auto-upgrade for player units
Greetings all!

OK, I'm stumped. Could someone please explain how to activate the Frenzy AI auto-upgrade feature for player units? I found the code dealing with the AI's units in the 'scenario.slc' file but can't figure out how to adapt it to auto-upgrade my own units.

I realize that a February posting deals with the issue, unfortunately I'm unable to backtrack because the link to the original explanation seems broken.

As a newbie to CtP2 and Civ games in general, I also have a question concerning AI unit control: I initiated a number of exclusive AI games (chatbox: /detach 1, /rnd 500 with World Explored and disabled Fog of War via cheat mode) to get a feel for the game.

As I cycled the ages, I noticed that most units seem to wander aimlessly from city to city or tile to tile without any obvious intent or purpose. Shouldn't the AI concentrate on developing a viable strategy instead of wasting valuable movement points on arbitrary and seemingly pointless tile movements? Maybe I'm missing out on something, but if there actually is some kind of higher strategy involved it's beyond my comprehension.

Last question: I've tweaked the game with a number of mods: Diplomod, Frenzy AI, Public Works and Famous People of History. Are there any known conflicts? I'm asking because I haven't played enough scenarios to distinguish between a bug and a feature yet.

Last not least, a big *thanks* to all the mod programmers out there. I appreciate the hard work and many hours you invested to make my gaming experience so much more fun.

[This message has been edited by M_DoubleU (edited May 12, 2001).]
Old May 12, 2001, 11:35   #2
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 09:59
I used to have the auto-upgrade code on my PC, but I wiped it a long time ago.

Bad news, though--it doesn't really work properly. You have to reload the slic to get the units to update. I would just suggest updating them manually, it's more realistic (although I used to like the idea of auto-upgrade, it comes from my days of playing Civ2 and building Leonardo's Workshop, what a kick-ass wonder ).

As for bugs, yes there are lots of those. They are all over the place in CTP2. Everywhere.
Old May 13, 2001, 00:58   #3
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 10:59
quote:

Originally posted by M_DoubleU on 05-12-2001 08:27 AM
I noticed that most units seem to wander aimlessly from city to city or tile to tile without any obvious intent or purpose. Shouldn't the AI concentrate on developing a viable strategy instead of wasting valuable movement points on arbitrary and seemingly pointless tile movements?

Yes it should, but Activision couldn't get it to work in time
As you were playing without the fog of war, you probably could not see the exploration that was going on by each ai player, however, the ai places a lot of emphasis on exploring, and holding choke points on the map. The ai are also not very aggressive, so without a human player, it is unlikely there will be any major wars going on. If there was, there is a (slim) chance that the ai would be more determined.

quote:

Last question: I've tweaked the game with a number of mods: Diplomod, Frenzy AI, Public Works and Famous People of History. Are there any known conflicts? I'm asking because I haven't played enough scenarios to distinguish between a bug and a feature yet.

There should never be error messages. If there are, its a bug. The only conflict I think there will be in the above setup is that some of the SLIC may not load unless you properly reference it (are you modding the default files or inside the scenario structure?) and that I think both the PW mod and Diplomod or Frenzymod (cant remember which) overwrite the same files, so you will need to copy+paste the changed bits from both, into one.

Ben