Old April 12, 2000, 08:31   #1
Ecowiz
Settler

Local Time: 23:33
Local Date: October 30, 2010
One can bombard the shore; but can we bombard from the shore?
As I could see from previous posts, although not tried myself yet, it is possible for some naval units to bombard coast cities and units on the shore. Question is, is it possible to reply the atack? I mean, in many countries with a coastal border we find coastal fortresses, not always inside cities as it is possible in the game, but some actually near them on on high ground near the sea to repel possible naval atacks. I tried to repel some Persian ships using artillery but it was no good, they actually didn't atack those units because they were on the sea. Is it a problem with the unit I used?
Old April 12, 2000, 08:50   #2
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:33
Nah... no regular land unit can attack a ship. You can use missiles or planes, but that's it.
Old April 12, 2000, 09:42   #3
The Mad Monk
Emperor

If you're looking for the logic of this,I'd say that it lies in the assumed size of the squares; the ships move in close to attack, but otherwise remain 'out of range' of your suggested 'coastal fortresses'.

BTW, do fortresses apply their bonus against all forms of attack, or just ground assault? I've always assumed the former, but would like confirmation.
Old April 12, 2000, 11:57   #4
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Local Time: 00:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
No, in a normal game it's impossible. However, if you care to do some work on the rules you can make a unit that can only attack ships from either a city or airbase.
You need a airunit with a move of 1 and a range of 1 so it cannot leave its position.
Then you must give it the submarine ability(and also the ability to sea subs I think but I'not sure about this).

Now it can only attack ships, nothing else...

It's not really what you wanted to know but who knows...perhaps it helps...

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page http://members.xoom.com/thalys/index.html
[This message has been edited by Hendrik the Great (edited April 12, 2000).]
Old April 13, 2000, 00:30   #5
George Garrett
Warlord

Local Time: 15:33
For what it's worth my two bitsworth on the above topics. For me, playing at Chieftain against A.I. ( Artificial Intelligence) - that is playing as an S.P. ( Single Player) against the computer - I have found Coastal Fortresses very desirable things to build - I particularly remember one game where they stood up to everything the A.I.sent at me by land, sea, and air.

Ecowicz, don't confuse what I say about Coastal Fortresses which cost a comparatively high number of shields, with the little fortresses that SETTLERS can build, outside of cities, often situated on a coast they are very quick, and easy to build, and very strong, especially if manned by fortified units, BUT...they cant protect one's city from a direct naval bombardment...that city has to have its own Coastal Fortress

The first time I ever sank a submarine was by sending out a land-based ordinary fighter
plane out 3 squares to it(I believe its max range is 12, 6 squares out, 6 back)...I didn't have to tinker with it for it to see the sub, which was in plain view to everyone after having attacked my vessels.

Don't rely merely on what I say, fellas - my civ game experiences tend to be different from those of other players in this forum -read their posts too - but whether I'm right or wrong, I think they'll agree that Coastal fortresses and planes are jolly good things to build.
You might find it handy, as I did, to look thro the "search" menu by hitting the "civilopedia" button just to the right of centre, at the top of your Civ screen, to see what Coastal Fortresses and planes can do for you.
Happy Hunting
[This message has been edited by George Garrett (edited April 12, 2000).]
Old April 13, 2000, 10:20   #6
Campo
Warlord

I think the regular fighter has 10 squares movement.
Old April 13, 2000, 11:01   #7
AkwaticDudeCity
Warlord

Garrett,
a coastal fortress will double the defense strength of city-defenders against naval units only, nothing more nothing less.
And another thing, don't play Chieftain . The already stupid AI gets crippled and you get boosted. Play at least on King level, both the human and the AI players have the same rules.
In Emperor and Deity the AI cheats, but that's ok, it compensates for its stupidity.

------------------
ugh crud, why won't they fall prey to my Machiavellian schemes?
Old April 13, 2000, 11:21   #8
George Garrett
Warlord

Local Time: 15:33
A.D.C. you have just quoted an excellent reason for me to play at Chieftain - I NEED the boost after my current humiliations at Diety level!

I accept what you say about Coastal Fortresses, but I shall still strive after them because most of my recent drubbings, result from enemy naval bombardment.

Thank you for for the interesting tip about playing at King level...I'll try that.
Old April 13, 2000, 23:15   #9
Kestrel
Warlord

Here is one way that I have built "Naval Artillery" that can attack enemy shipping.

Naval Artillery,nil,3, 1.,0, 12a,1d, 2h,2f, 8,0, 0, Stl, 000000000100000 ; - new Land/Sea Unit

Being Domain 3 (Land/Sea) rather than Domain 1 (air) it can also be attacked and destroyed by enemy shipping and by ground troops.

I haven't tried setting the Unit to "Submarine capabilities" as suggested above, but that is not a bad idea.

However the AI does seem to ignore the "Ship must stay near land (trireme)" limitations that I have imposed and does seem to want to put the Artillery on to a barge and ship it across the ocean one move at a time.

I thought of setting the unit to a defensive unit (1) rather than an offensive unit to try to counter this, but was afraid that this would mean that, because it had less defensive strength than a musketeer it could never be built.

See also the Apolyton tip on "Domain 3" units.
Old April 14, 2000, 22:47   #10
SandMonkey
Prince

Local Time: 17:33
quote:

Originally posted by Kestrel on 04-13-2000 11:15 PM
However the AI does seem to ignore the "Ship must stay near land (trireme)" limitations that I have imposed and does seem to want to put the Artillery on to a barge and ship it across the ocean one move at a time.

The reason for that is that the AI actually does ignore that perameter. Thye designers made the AI to ignore that flag so that contact could be made earlier in the game. That's why you never see an AI trireme sink.

------------------
SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
-Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
"It's just a flesh wound!"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail