Old March 13, 2001, 23:08   #31
Seneca
King

Local Time: 10:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Why oh why oh why can't Autosave be the default setting? - I keep forgetting to turn it on

Anyway, before the game crapped out (in 1590) , I had a string of Scottish trading posts from coast to coast in America, and a load of colonies around New England and California, and was happily whupping some Iroquois ass.
I think the trick with Scotland is always have either a royal marriage or military alliance with England, as no-one else is likely to seriously bother you (unless you're in a war with England, but then you've got the English navy to look after you).
Having said that I better keep Spain sweet, as I now have a continent-wide border with her...
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2001, 04:47   #32
Snog
Warlord

I played the tutorial and man was I clueless!

I started off doing everything I was told, but then when it came time to declare war on the malamukes I guess I was too busy colonizing. Upon dishonoring my military alliance with catalunya, I was never able to get it back, and eventually their war with the malamukes fizzled and their diplomacy rating with them started to go positive. By this time, I couldn't find any point to colonizing more.. I had colonized the entire eastern hemisphere except for australia (if it exists.. i never checked) and japan. My income was skyrocketing.. there was no way I could spend that much.. not a chance.. even with tax rate at 0 and buying everything in sight, i couldn't make a slight dent in it. Well, I then decided to amass huge armies and try to declare some war.. even after getting both diplomacy ratings down to -200, and making trade embargos it wouldn't let me.. So then I went on to do the missions.. building shipyards or retaining my capital. They were boring and I didnt seem to get any victory points after they were completed. grrrr!... By this point my money was up to $1,000,000!! ... and the only thing I could do was colonize more.. I didn't see the point of it, so after all this I was forced to surrender with a 0% victory rating on the tutorial.. what a loser!

Another shocking thing to me was how in the latter stages of the game I was marching around a small handful of artillery (maybe 8) with invincible moral, and shooting down settlement after settlement of natives with them without any cavalry support whatever!!

I guess the moral is.. the tutorial is nothing like the real game (i hope.)

--Snog

Snog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2001, 20:36   #33
Allemand
Warlord

Play the GC as Russia, Snog. Plenty of countries to beat up on, and they get colonists.
Allemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2001, 22:32   #34
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 12:05
Yes, Russia in GC is real fun, since you can cut the crap with diplomacy and eat the world On Normal level that is.

Here is what I did this evening:

I wanted to be peaceful for a time (after a bloody 8 year war in Europe ended), so I left my European and Middle East neighbours alone for a while ... I decided to go for China. Now that is a big thing to annex ... but Russia is big time player too
I had all siberia up to north Chinese border and I had todays Vietnam (Da Nang and another province). Now I had many troops in European part of Russia, but none in east Asia. I didnt even have troop building capacities in Siberia ... all small cities which could recruit 1000 men each. I had no navy whatsoever (who needs that?). So what I did was - march two 40K infantry armier through siberia and start troop building in my puny capacities north and south of China. I started the Big March in march but the troops that landed near Chinas north provinces were decimated ... winter attrition took its share. I built troops non-stop. Five years after I decided I wanted China, I had two 50K infantry armies south of it and north of it I had 7 to 8 30K armies (all infantry). China had much troop building potential, but relatively small standing army. I hoped to claim most provinces before they build up. I declared the war in february 1750. I was a very surprised to see Chinese having armies with Invincible morale - same I had. No other european nation had such morale. But I continued to march my men into death, eager to get as much as I can before winter. After pretty much blood (I assaulted chinese forts with infantry only) I was down to 100K men from more then 300K I started with ... but I was happy. Chinese forts were level one ... and they all fell. I held a very rich country in my hand. In Europe my lovely neigbours rampaged wildly, but I had a standing army of 20K in all my border provinces ... so they all had to back off. I procedeed to annex China ... but couldnt!!!
Imagine my annoyance! I have not seen Hanui (or similar), a small island just off coast south China. It was their only province, and it was still standing. Wars prolonged another (unplanned, and extremely tough) decade. When I got a big fleet loaded with men from Baltic to China (through battles with spanish blocking the way) it was well past 1760. Tell me about beaing angry!

So Snog, you will be irritated by more things then tutorial. But in end I think it pays off. This is good game
VetLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2001, 01:51   #35
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 06:05
It really isn't Snog... play the GC as an easy nation!
Imran Siddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2001, 21:13   #36
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 05:05
Warmongering and building huge empires is what makes the game fun!

Playing the Mamelukes, have annexed all the Muslim countries in North Africa, Jordan, and all the Turkish provinces in Anatolia- mid 1700's, in a big war with Persia.

Shi Huangdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2001, 22:56   #37
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 05:05
Annexed Persia, also have Macedonia and Hellas- badboy rating 54
Shi Huangdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2001, 09:42   #38
OneFootInTheGrave
King

quote:

Originally posted by Par4 on 03-05-2001 02:57 AM
Ok is very easy screwed up, because I suck! I'm getting wasted all the time

I've only tried the grand campaign on easiest these last couple days but man do I suck

1.Russia, Moscow and 2 other big provinces got captured by the teunotic order or whatever so I was only building troops at a rate of about 5000 a year so I got wasted by a country with 3 provinces. Oye

2.Off to Spain they should be easy
WRONG! I made the mistake of attacking that country near where Andorra is today, which was allied with France. So France makes peace with england and sends litterally 250 guys at me. 4 freaking armies of about 60 each came down and wasted me

3.Spain again. This time I try attacking Portugual wiht about 150 guys, about 90k infantry 50k cavalry and 20 cannons. Big freaking mistake, while I succeeded in capturing portugual the freaking portugese navy came down and killed columbus so I had no WATER EXPLORER!! By the time I managed to get across the ocean most of America was already taken over by France and England!!!! EXPLORES ARE WAYYY TOO IMPORTANT!!!! I kept playing but France wasted me again with some big ass armies landed on the north side of the iberian peninsula.

4.England!! Yay this should be easy! Not really! I saved up about 100 guys and attacked Scotland but since I don't know how to make captured provinces useful, ie I can build stuff in em, it was a big waste and cost alot. France again screws me over, I send cabot and about 20 warships over to explore america, big mistake. Right after hes in delaware, bam out of the blue, even though I'm at +50 and royal marriage, with france FRANCE WIPES ME OUT!! 3 fleets of 10 warships easily beat my 20 warships, and by the time cabot gets back FRANCE HAS CAPTURED LONDON AND 5 other provinces with about 80 guys. Well I can't produce enough to stop em so I quit.

5.Portugual! Spain attacked whatever that little vassal nation was and I said ok I'll help you, wrong! I was toast quick

6.ENGLAND!! Well this went pretty good, no wars, peace with Spain and France, I captured all of the eastern colonies in America and Canada, took azores from Portugual, I started for Aztec and Incan empires but France again, out of the freaking blue comes over and since I had been neglecting sea defenses, Got beat at about a 2:1 ratio in the english channel. They landed took over all of southern england and I was forced to resign. I could have gone on since I had over 40 provinces in America up to city but I was screwed.

7:TOMORROW I BEGIN AS FRANCE!!!!!

Best damn review I ever read!!! Par4 you rock

this is one of the moments of enlightenment... I am buying this game today!!!

[This message has been edited by OneFootInTheGrave (edited March 16, 2001).]
OneFootInTheGrave is offline   Reply With Quote