Old January 18, 2000, 21:17   #1
Cam
King

Local Time: 08:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What Railroad Tycooner's think of Civ2
I wasn't sure which forum was more appropriate, but it might be of interest to consider what devotees of Railroad Tycoon II think about Civ2 et al; 209.35.123.231/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000287.html

Curses! Apostrophe error in thread title - apols!
[This message has been edited by Cam (edited January 18, 2000).]
Old January 18, 2000, 22:15   #2
poppawoppa
Warlord

Local Time: 14:33
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I just got RTII at Christmas, and have played the tutorial and only a couple of the scenarios..which seem fairly easy so far, I guess they get more difficult as you make progress. I really like Civ II and play it often. In my opinion RTII has better land scenery and I like the 3-D effect of the trains going around the corners, but so far the strategy and wide variation in Civ II have me hooked.
Old January 19, 2000, 01:55   #3
Cam
King

Local Time: 08:03
I think RRT2's economic model absolutely kills any other gaming one I've seen to date (bold claim, but I can't think of any better), and 'yes' the graphics are outstanding. I loved it for a while, but it didn't capture my imagination to the same extent as Civ2, nor has it urged me to try and customise it in the manner of scenario development. Regardless, both are in my top four or five games.
Old January 19, 2000, 06:48   #4
Fiji
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:33
There are 3 games on my pc that never get deleted (others do get deleted when I need the diskspace)
CIV2 (OBVIOUSLY)
Transport Tycoon
Magic the Gathering

yes, I do love these railroad sim games (I even love the railroad advancement in Civ2 )
Old January 19, 2000, 07:34   #5
Kuma no Tsume
Prince

MtG indeed is a great game; I think more Civ-players will feel the same about that.
Old January 20, 2000, 15:40   #6
mindseye
King

Local Time: 06:33
Civ2 is still my all-time favorite PC game, it engages my mind and emotions. I also love RR Tycoon II, but it's more like the equivalent of opium. Not much brain amperage required, just pure pleasure for a steam buff like me.
Old January 22, 2000, 09:55   #7
Alexander's Horse

RR Tycoon lacks one thing : war. When I played it I always wanted to attack the other railroads, with tanks.

------------------
Founder of the People's Republic of Off Topic (PROT)

Old January 22, 2000, 17:42   #8
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

I'm surpirsed no one has said this. Railroad Tycoon II does not have the gates. In RRT1 you had signal gates so you could really control rail traffic (or if you where not careful cause a crash). They are completely gone in RRT2. I played the demo and because of this never got the full game. It turned the game into just a nice graphics package - there's really nothing to it now. It's like taking the AI out of CIV. Not that the AI is great but CIV would be pretty boring if it was just you on the map and no one else.
Old January 22, 2000, 17:59   #9
mindseye
King

Local Time: 06:33
WHAT???!!! In RR Tycoon I you could have ... CRASHES? You could prevent them - or CAUSE them? Were the crash graphics more fun than RRT2's "smoking engine" graphic? Please don't tell me the freights cars pile up and derail, or I'll have to DOWNgrade!

Wow - by any chance did RRT1 also feature tiny school buses that could become trapped at a hiway crossing? ;->
Old January 23, 2000, 14:52   #10
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Yes. In RRT1 you had signal gates to set up blocks. I played where the game controled them but you could always override them. this way you could let more trains in a given block if you knew they would not crash. but, with so many trains going at the same time sometimes you mess up. yes, crashes with graphics. RRT2 is not even a game. what on earth they where thinking is beyond me.