Old May 23, 2001, 20:41   #1
Hoplite
Settler

Local Time: 05:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Different Armor Types?
In the back of the manual and in the alpha.txt file there is a list of different armor types and what they defend against for instance synthmetal armor defends against projectile weapons but energy weapons would get a bonus against it. The two types listed are energy and projectile and certain armors only defend against one or the other or both. Is this rule actually used in the game? The in game help system makes no mention of it and the combat modfiers display doens't show anything. If this rule is used in the game what is the actaul bonus? I tried to set up a test scenario with a bunch of units lined up against each other with different weapons and armor. But the results didn't tell me much other than there is a huge random factor in combat. I suppose I could set it up with more units if I feel like it but not right now.
Old May 23, 2001, 21:17   #2
Ned
King

Local Time: 02:17
Very Interesting question. I think the answer is that it makes no difference. I have seen combat modifiers for pulse and resonance armor, but for no other type of armor that I can recall.

BTW, does pulse armor increase defense against ships?

Ned
Old May 23, 2001, 22:09   #3
WhiteElephants
King

I've heard it was a feature that Firaxis's intended to implement, but after the manual was printed they changed their minds.
Old May 25, 2001, 12:13   #4
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteElephants
I've heard it was a feature that Firaxis's intended to implement, but after the manual was printed they changed their minds.
If that's the case, I'm glad they decided to leave it out. Although it would be an interesting element of realism in combat, it would make assigning base defenders toooooo complicated.