View Poll Results: What will you do with your copy of CTP2 now?
Hmm... well, I needed a doorstop 3 13.04%
I'm gonna throw the CD at the neighbour's cat 1 4.35%
I'll give it to someone I hate 1 4.35%
I'll cut it up into tiny pieces and mail it to Activision 3 13.04%
Use it to hit myself in the head! GO AWAY VOICES! 7 30.43%
WHAT! HOW DARE YOU! CTP2 IS A MASTERPIECE! BLAH, BLAH, BLAH! 8 34.78%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 24, 2001, 05:06   #1
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 10:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What will you do with your CTP2 game now?
Hmmm..... choices, choices.
Old May 24, 2001, 06:16   #2
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 12:18
Vote for CTP2
I try to make the best out of CTP2. It is hard but I think this game has much potential. Of course there are a lot of bugs, but it is better than Civ2. Hundrets of settlers just to improve the terrain. A waiste of time just for moving these units for every move a sound that also need its time. A waste of time for the city governmet. If one building is finish you have to change it by hand. Do this with more than 200 cities. Civ2 sucks more than CTP2. Of course it was bug freeer. But there are limitations for example f or gold at 30000. Ok there is something on this page that solve this, but the city limitation isn't really solved. To many cities that was the end of of my Civ2 playing. And if you need one and a half hour for an turn on a 486er or 20 minutes on a K6 you will give it up by then.

-Martin
Old May 24, 2001, 07:32   #3
Skeeve
Prince

Local Time: 06:18
I am hoping that CTP2 is but a shadow of what is to come in CIV3.
Old May 24, 2001, 07:55   #4
Sean
Prince

I'm with Skeeve on the civ 111 point. Mind you, everyone probably agrees on that point!!

I'll keep playing succession games, as the allivate some of the annoying features of the game, but otherwise its collecting dust.
Old May 24, 2001, 08:12   #5
jadlakha
Warlord

Im sorry but this game is to damn boring to keep. Med Mod II cannot even save this boring game for me. All Med Mod II did was correct some of the errors in the game. However the game is just as boring as ever.
Old May 24, 2001, 11:27   #6
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 11:18
Its interestng that half the people who voted, voted for the GO AWAY VOICES option. I don't know why each person did, but I did because it is the only middle-of-the-road answer. Sure, CTP2 isn't "A masterpiece", but there is no point utterly wasting your $60 or whatever by cutting it into pieces, or using it as a doorstop. Might as well keep it. To state the obvious, this poll is clearly biased, and there really is no sensible answer.

I would like to vote:
"Mod it to death before getting a better game",
"Play Succession games, scenarios, or mods, until CivIII",
"Make the best of it, at least the graphics are better than CivII", or
"Leave it on the shelf to play when I'm bored"
Old May 24, 2001, 14:14   #7
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Its interestng that half the people who voted, voted for the GO AWAY VOICES option. I don't know why each person did, but I did because it is the only middle-of-the-road answer. Sure, CTP2 isn't "A masterpiece", but there is no point utterly wasting your $60 or whatever by cutting it into pieces, or using it as a doorstop. Might as well keep it. To state the obvious, this poll is clearly biased, and there really is no sensible answer.

I would like to vote:
"Mod it to death before getting a better game",
"Play Succession games, scenarios, or mods, until CivIII",
"Make the best of it, at least the graphics are better than CivII", or
"Leave it on the shelf to play when I'm bored"

OMG! I CANNOT BELIEVE ANYONE SAW THIS POLL AS ANYTHING BUT A JOKE

Oh, and the other person to vote 'Go away, voices' was me, the creator of the poll. So there
Old May 24, 2001, 16:07   #8
Skeeve
Prince

Local Time: 06:18
In defense of Wombat, Author of the "Wombat Maneuver" in the first succession game;

I would say that I think he knew it was a joke, but regardless, he still felt the need to vote as if it were serious. I myself, found the "Use it to hit my head" answer the funniest - and also the truest!
Old May 24, 2001, 16:54   #9
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Hmm, sorry if I was a little harsh earlier. I did understand that this was just a little more humour, but the sudden expolsion of polls (OT) is getting a little irritating. This one was quite amusing though, I must admit , but I still vote "make the best of it"

Old May 24, 2001, 17:28   #10
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 12:18
:D
Of course the options here aren't serious, but I have my opinion about CTP2. Of course CTP2 ins't a master piece but Civ2 isn't either. But I found the BLAH BLAH BLAH part of this options the most funniest part of all these options. Actually also the last part of this poll means that CTP2 isn't a master piece, because of BLAH BLH BLAH that turns the last statement in its opposite.

I still agree to Immortal Wombat: Make the best out of CTP2

-Martin
Old May 25, 2001, 00:02   #11
me_irate
Warlord

Local Time: 05:18
the only games i have played recently have been succesion, i have stoped modding files, and havent played online in weeks. i hope to m-play again but right now i just dont have the time nor the desire. but it was fun for the short time it lasted and if it wasn't for me playing civ2 to death, i would have really enjoyed this game.
Old May 25, 2001, 02:50   #12
TheBirdMan
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power Democracy Game
Emperor

Location: A real Master of CTP-PBEM - together with all the others.....
Jump to the forum alternative civs/other games, Europa Universalis. There you can see, how a serious company is treating a game, somewhat buggy from the start.

I have been following some of the threads there. The company is making the nessesary patches to make it better. Not only 1 or two and then off to something different - they do what they have to do.

Actually I am going to buy that game this week. Have to try it.

If only Activision would have done the same, then nobody would say CTP II sucks (except those for whom althing sucks).
Old May 25, 2001, 05:37   #13
red_jon
NationStates
King

I can't seem to find Europa Universalis in any high street shops.

Oh, and there is ONE thing in CTP2's defence- the intro movie is quite good
Old May 25, 2001, 06:46   #14
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Oh, and there is ONE thing in CTP2's defence- the intro movie is quite good
Not as good as CTP1's intro movie though
Old May 25, 2001, 17:28   #15
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

Not as good as CTP1's intro movie though

Nah, that was set in FRANCE. I MEAN!
Old May 25, 2001, 18:54   #16
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I'd never realised that before. I always assumed from the Roman arrival by boat that is was Britain, and the "German" troops were just a possible future. Now you suggest it, France would make more sense, but they become world-conquerors, so that couldn't be right Its more realistic than CTP2 movie anyway, all those silly catoon people building the sphinx
Old May 26, 2001, 11:21   #17
red_jon
NationStates
King

The thing that really suggested to me that the CTP1 movie is set in France is the fact that it has the Notre Dame (sp?) cathedral in it

I like the music in the CTP2 intro movie and the bit with the blitz ... but the end ruins it.
Old May 26, 2001, 11:40   #18
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 13:18
The intro movie & music is great. Setup music is great too. Both made me thought CtP 2 is great, while it isn't so great ...
Old May 27, 2001, 19:10   #19
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

I actually have a good game going now. I might even keep playing past the future age. (never actually done that before) I've got it on full ocean and full islands. So I cant just go on a rampage and kill everyone. I'm rushing to build sea engineers though. All the land was taken up by about 1500 AD. and by 1750 I've got the entire world mapped.
Old May 28, 2001, 13:55   #20
Adalbertus
Prince

Just voted for giving it to someone I hate. Unfortunately there is no such person I had hundreds of crashes (playing each turn about twice), and tried to install fixmod. It crashed several times, and said to remove all temporary files. Somehow the installer decided that *all* files on the partition were temporary.
Just to tell you what I mean -- OK, the latter is not necessarily a bug by Activision, but the hundreds of semireproducible hangups are. And IMHO this is much worse than a weak but moddable AI.
Old May 29, 2001, 16:35   #21
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 18:18
they aren't that many choices. i'd put play it when i have nothing better to do, like posting in ctp2 forums complaining about ctp, as though activision cares.... so sad... great engine, buggy and not fixed.....
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old May 30, 2001, 16:13   #22
The Evans
Settler

Either my PC is completly pure of bugs, or your PC's aren't very compatable. I have found 1 or 2 bugs in the patched version. And I'm still enjoying the game. Civ 2's settlers units used to improv terrain really pi$$ed me off, 2 food to support?! jesus that sucked. Howver CTP2 is better than Average, but not a masterpeice. Also, wtf is the intro about? Hi, we're futuristic people. We wear the stupidist clothes in the world (Exept the 70's ) I don't have CTP1, but I might get (In MVC it was more expensive than CTP2 ) What do you think? I agree that hopefully Civ 3 will be a huge improvement over the previous games. (Like Fusion Tank over Pikemen )

:0
Old May 30, 2001, 21:15   #23
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

I haven't encountered any bug (outside of modding) with the game. Except for graphics glitches which I can live with. Hell I'm still playing Airport inc. and that's got more glitches then graphics.