Old May 26, 2001, 14:03   #1
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 11:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sg-4
Much as I think the 21-player game will be a very good laugh, I would like to play a bit more often, and get some feel for the game a bit more. Therefore, I am going to start another Succession Game, with less players, 4 or 5

The next three people to reply, expressing a wish to join are welcome to, the fourth will have to beg and plead

Seriously though, if you wanna play a smaller succession game from monday, post here!

Ben

Immortal Wombat - weaver1@tinyworld.co.uk
Old May 26, 2001, 21:55   #2
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 10:23
You're lucky hell you're all lucky. I don't have time bloody exams coming up.
Old May 27, 2001, 09:28   #3
rooboy
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:23
I'll have a go.

What options? Map size, difficulty etc.
Old May 27, 2001, 12:35   #4
Pilfur
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:23
I'm in. Actually, if somebody else wants the spot I can just start yet another succession game. There's no reason why we shouldn't have a bunch of them going at a time. How about one that uses Med Mod 2 or the Cradle mod for something a little different (tougher challenge too!)
Old May 27, 2001, 15:51   #5
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

exams, well yes I have some of them I think. GCSEs or something? Or whatever, lets play Civ

I think for this time it would be easier to use a default game, with maybe set to impossible. Once we get the hang of this, (and my exams are over, I do care a little bit ) then we can try organising Cradle or MedMod, or even an OCC SG, which should be nice and difficult...

Any preferences on size, terrain etc. ?

And now the gratuitous bit:

Play SG

I Civ

Lets kick some AI butt
Old May 27, 2001, 18:14   #6
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

hey new smilies

These could be useful. Just before I press the big red button I say:

You're all going to die all of you. hahahahahha
Old May 27, 2001, 19:11   #7
Pilfur
Chieftain

I'd like to avoid the Huge map just because it may take a while for the turns to go by with my slow computer. But then, that may be the perfect time to write in the log

I don't really have any preferences. I'm far more into the roleplay aspect of this than the conquering aspect. I like playing CTP2 and this will breathe more life into it but I'm especially excited about having fun writing the log.
Old May 30, 2001, 12:27   #8
Skeeve
Prince

Local Time: 06:23
I'll stay out for this one, but I think I'd like to try out a OCC succession game or MedMODII when it comes around. I hope someone else will supervise that. I'm trying to write a review for a Heroes of Might & Magic III map on the www.Astralwizard.com website.

Great site if anyone out there plays HOMM3.
In fact, I have a map of my own posted there. Came in 3rd place in last summer's contest. (Of course there were only 4 entries for my category, but what the hey!?) It's called "The Rise of Telmar".

But anyway, I digress.
Good luck with running this one Wombat! As a Succession game veteran, I know you'll have it running smoothly.

- Skeeve
Old May 30, 2001, 12:37   #9
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Skeeve, I have a webpage set up to post scores of OCC games. You could join in there, and we can do a competition between everyone with one setup for everybody to use. OCC is a pretty challenging scenario, so I think it would be fun to have people compete. You interested in helping get it set up? I would do it, but you have been around alot longer and people pay more attention to you!

Also, IMO, if you still have room in your smaller succession game I would love to join, if not that's cool too. Let me know!
Old May 30, 2001, 16:20   #10
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Ok, four players will do then

1) Immortal Wombat - weaver1@tinyworld.co.uk
2) rooboy - arb77@optushome.com.au
3) Pilfur - twaterman@execulink.com
4) Rhuarc - wendell777@hotmail.com

I'll start it tomorrow morning GMT.

Impossible
Raiders (3/4)
1/2 land
Islandy

EDIT:
Should probably mention, same rules as Game three. 10 turns throughout.

Last edited by Immortal Wombat; May 31, 2001 at 08:44.
Old May 31, 2001, 08:51   #11
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

The fourth Apolyton Succession Game has begun!
Sorry this is short, I have to revise.

Herein lies the reign of Apolyton I, leader of the Greeks

4000BC
The city of Athens is founded at the confluence of two rivers. A warrior unit is commissioned to explore the surrounding terrain.

3950BC
Nothing happened.

3900BC
Nothing continued to happen

3875BC
The warriors of Athens are fully trained, and immediatly make use of their training, a-spying a herd of strange beasts to the North east. They go to investigate, and name these strange cratures - elephants.

3750BC
The warriors have followed the river for many years, and at last arrive at its source, high in the foothills of the Gray Wombat Mountains. As they relay this news to Apolyton, who is now an old man, the news that the mountain range was named after him was too much for his flagging heart, and his heart stopped beating in surprise, ironically, the day before he was due to retire, and announce a successor to the throne... But he died a happy man, and was given a nice big funeral
Old May 31, 2001, 11:44   #12
Skeeve
Prince

Rhuarc,

My summer semester of Grad School is starting next week, so I'll have to decline with helping set up for that OCC game. However, I'll be finished by July 13th. I could help out then. For now, I'm going to stick with supervising Succession Game 3, so I don't get too bogged down.

Thanks for the note of confidence, though.
Old May 31, 2001, 11:51   #13
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

No problem Skeeve, I'm going to try to convince MarkG to post about it on the main CTP2 page, that way maybe more people will find out about it and become interested in it. Thanks man.
Old June 1, 2001, 23:11   #14
rooboy
Chieftain

You stupid #$%@ing wombat!!! Only joking mate.

I have a little problem with the save game. When entering ruins, weird ass messages come up. Instead of saying a nomad joins our empire, it has some really weird **** posted. Same thing when finding gold in ruins. Does anyone know WTF is going on? I am currently only playing with the patch, and obviously no mods.
Should i just ignore this?
Old June 4, 2001, 07:07   #15
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Hello?
Hey guys! What's happening? I hadn't heard anything from anyone in a while about this game so I thought I had better check in with ya. Is our game still on or not? I am ready and waiting! You know, if it was me I would wait a couple of days until the MedPackII comes out and all of us use that. I think that would make for a much better game, but hey, that's just me! Let me know waht you guys think, and if you would like to do that.
Old June 4, 2001, 12:12   #16
Pilfur
Chieftain

We are waiting on Rooboy. Is this the time for me to invoke the 72 hour rule and ask to have the file passed to me? (I haven't been counting the hours)
Old June 4, 2001, 12:39   #17
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

I don't know, lets see first if he is even able to play the file. Maybe there is a problem with the actual game file. Anybody want to start over and play the MedModII other than me? I hear that it really spices up the game quite a bit.
Old June 4, 2001, 13:00   #18
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

He can use the file I think, just ignore the wierd messages, try doing a /reloadslic, or something like that.
Old June 4, 2001, 15:47   #19
Skeeve
Prince

Wombat is correct. Just type /reloadslic. (Or hit the ' key first and then type /reloadslic).

Then you won't see messages like this:

Noyon
Noyon
Noyon
Blurb
Sprok
Frippin on the Jim Jam Frappen at the Krotz!

Well, actually, the only one I remember way "Noyon", but who the heck knows what that means, anyway?

- Skeeve
Old June 4, 2001, 21:03   #20
rooboy
Chieftain

After Apolyton I's funeral, the search for a new leader begins. Apolyton II, or Rooboy as many refer to him, hops into power.

3675 BC: New warrior commissioned in Athens.

3625 BC: Nomads join empire.

3575 BC: Warrior garrison discover 254 gold in ruins.

3525 BC: Sparta founded, on a river, east of Athens.

Will add more at a later date. Rushed for time.

Old June 5, 2001, 03:27   #21
Pilfur
Chieftain

I have played my first 10 turns, and they were quite eventful. After uncovering some more of the map I must ask just what goods setting are we playing at? These things are everywhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------

3500 B.C.E.
The great Rooboy past away without an heir, and it was a horrible tragedy for the people of Greece. Not only was a great leader lost, but there was no named succesor, and dozens of warlords grabbing for power.

In the following two years, the people of Greece split into two factions. The first was led by Rooboy's trusted aid, Alexander, who called upon the loyal citizens of Athens to follow him into a bold new era. The people of Sparta, led by Sparticus, challenged Alexander's rule and questioned his bias towards Athens and away from the new city of Sparta. A civil war between the two cities was looming on the horizon, prompting both cities to train new troops. Farmers were taken from the fields (food consumption lowered) and grew hungry as they prepared both day and night (production raised). The people were uneasy in these uncertain times (happiness lowered).

3475 B.C.E.
Far to the north explorers, unaware of the problems at home, followed along the shoreline, discovering and charting new lands.
The group of explorers to the south of Athens were just as ignorant, charting the great desert wasteland.

Twenty five years of military training and political maneuvering and posturing had passed. The war had not begun, but dislike had solidified between the people of the two cities into extreme hatred. Propaganda was spread amongst the Spartans that the Atheniens were plotting to poison their water supply, and guards were posted all along the great river. In 3470 BCE Sparticus recruited an aid. Pilfur was a shadow of a man, who wore a dark cloak and spoke very little.

3450 B.C.E.
Messengers arrived from the northern explorers, reporting that they had found a northern mountain range and another large valley filled with the large tusked beasts that were frequently spotted near Athens. Alexander sent the messenger back, requesting the the band of warrior explorers return to Athens to aid him in quelching the looming Spartan rebellion.

The explorers in the desert wasteland, progressing along the mountain range and to the south of Sparta, sent word to Sparticus of encounters with strange dark skinned people who would observe them from the bushes but flee when approached.
Sparticus sent Pilfur to deal with these mysterious people.

3425 B.C.E.
Alexander was pleased to see his new warriors ready for battle. Sparticus was pleased to see his own. The two new bands of warriors were ready to engage one another. It would be a bloody and merciless clash between bitter enemies. Sparticus held his troops in Sparta, knowing that Alexander would send his troops to attack.

Once the Alexander's warriors had departed Athens on route to Sparta, a terrible raid came upon the city. Large men rushed the village from the side opposite Sparta (slave raid). They threw huge nets upon the villagers and carried them away like captured animals. Dozens of men and a few attractive women were snatched away, before the eyes of crying children who were kicked around and left to starve in the streets. Alexander himself came out to defend the villagers, but without his guards, who had left to join the attack on Sparta, he was no match for them. He would never be a great leader of the Greek people, instead taken away into a life of slavery and vanishing from the pages of history.

3400 B.C.E.
Alexander's army, learning of his defeat, immediately returned to Athens to defend the city and to search for the mysterious attackers. On their way home they found them. A group of men who called themselves the French laughed at the Athenien warriors, slaying many slaves before their eyes and carting others away while battle ensued. Many slavers were killed, but Alexander and many captured villagers were not recovered.

Pilfur joined up with the desert explorers and managed to discover the village of the dark skinned people (free village discovery). There he met another white man, named Jefferson who spoke for a group of people known as the Americans. Apparently these people were settled somewhere to the south. Pilfur was curious and wanted to discover this land, but instead wisely stayed with the dark skinned villagers in an attempt to recruit their village to join with Sparta and take down Athens and the French Slaver Nation. Jefferson was also attempting to win over the villagers, but he made the fatal mistake of leaving his tent unguarded. Pilfur had the leader of the dark skinned villagers killed and planted the knife on Jefferson's person. Jefferson was killed in retribution, and the villagers then turned to Pilfur for guidance. With the new city of Mountainside under Spartan rule, and Alexander gone, how could Sparticus fail to take Athens and re-unite Greece under his iron fist. France would be next to fall.

3375 B.C.E.
Word arrived in Athens that the French have started work on a great network of trade roads (Appian Way). Pilfur's band of explorers followed the fleeing Americans over the mountain range, as Pilfur headed back to Sparta.

Sparticus heard word that the northern explorers had spotted a strange area of stones, which they were headed off to investigate. This lightened the mood of Sparticus, a leader who just wasn't being well recieved. The people of Athens refused to follow him due to his well known hatred of the great Alexander. Pilfur was being considered as the next Apolyton in Sparticus' place. Sparticus was upset and awaited Pilfur's return, with guards instructed to kill him on sight.

3350 B.C.E.
The first great farm area is established in Athens. The people, thinking that they will have Pilfur as their next great leader, turn away from arms and begin planting crops once again. Sparticus has other ideas.

Pilfur arrives in Sparta bringing news of great abundances of tea in the desert mountains and that the band of warriors to the south, still following the Americans last he heard. Sparticus comes out to greet Pilfur, dagger in hand, but much to his suprise he is stabbed in the back by a guard loyal to Pilfur. Pilfur is quickly annointed Apolyton III, leader of the Greek people. Pilfur is pleased to hear that the northern explorers have found some gold in the ruins that they recently explored.

3275 B.C.E.
75 years of peaceful and productive rule pass under Pilfur's watchful eye. Then, one morning Pilfur is nowhere to be found. It is unknown to this day as to why and how he disappeared.

Last edited by Pilfur; June 5, 2001 at 03:54.
Old June 5, 2001, 04:00   #22
Pilfur
Chieftain

The french slaver came from the east of Athens.... the slaver unit is dead, but the french may be producing another. We are at war with them. We have no war / peace treaty with the Americans, who are somewhere to the south. Have fun next Apolyton!
Old June 6, 2001, 19:01   #23
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

This is the account of Apolyton IV also known as Rhuarc I.
(Sorry Pilfur, I'm not quite as creative in my explanation as you, but then I don't have much time, so this will have to do!!

3250 - Our mighty warriors continue to explore th lands around us, one in the North, and one in the South. Also, our cities continue to build two settlers and one warrior.

3225 - We recieve a message from the Americans requesting us to remove our troops from their land. Since thier border is only a small distance back (1 tile!!) we agree in order to maintian the peace between our two nations.

3200 - A time of peace. (boring!!)

3175 and 3150 - See 3200!!

3125 - A warrior is built in the city of Mountainside in order to protect the precious commodity of tea that will soon be attainable within it's borders. We begin work on anotehr warrior to continue our exploration.

3100 Americans have entered our might lands. Due to our un-preparedness for ware we request that they leave from our borders. They accept our reasonable request.

3075 and 3050 and 3025 - Continue exploring while waiting for our cities to complete their current projects. Rhuarc dies in his old age of boredom due to nothing happening throughout his reign!!
Old June 8, 2001, 17:38   #24
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Sorry guys, I have the file, but have been busy with exams, and unable to play. I should be able to play tomorrow, and mail it in within the 72hour limit.
Old June 9, 2001, 03:53   #25
Pilfur
Chieftain

That timing sounds good to me. I won't be able to play until monday anyhow.
Old June 9, 2001, 19:12   #26
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Oops, forgot this earlier, but here lies a transcript of the reign of Wombat II.

Sorry this is hurried, but here goes:
  • 3000BC - Exploration
  • 2975BC - Start researching writing, two warriors journey from Mountainside, which then starts producing a new "hoplite" unit for defense. Meanwhile, our southern warrior finds Washington, the American capital on the Jungle River.
  • 2950BC - A warrior is fortified as a defender in Sparta.
  • 2925BC - The new settlers in Athens venture north into uncharted lands; Athens begins constructing a granary.
  • 2875BC - A new group of settlers in Sparta head westwards, towards the distant mountains.
  • 2850BC - City#4 founded on the north coast.
  • 2825BC - Athens is subject to a ruthless slaver attack. Warriors stationed there investigate the surrounding areas, but the instigator of the attack has fled
  • 2775BC - A warrior ventures further east from Athens to look for the likely place of origin if the slaver.
  • 2750BC - Wombat II dies a horrible death while touring potential city-sites to the west. His famous last words were, "You know, if I die suddenly, I'd like the world to know that I would leave the throne to my dearest adopted grandson [arrrrgh]...."
Old June 10, 2001, 22:26   #27
Pilfur
Chieftain

French Slavers still giving us trouble eh?
Old June 11, 2001, 10:19   #28
rooboy
Chieftain

Rooboy II, the adopted grandson of Wombat II, is announced Wombat's successor. City #4 and Sparta are both disbanded, due to their proximity to other greek cities. Leaving these cities in their current locations would have hindered growth and production in the future, it is claimed. Many people are still miffed.

2700 BC: Troy founded, near where the old city of Sparta once existed. Delphi is also founded in this year, in grassland near a giant forest. Cease-fire is signed with the French, who are far more powerful nation.

2675 BC: Argos is founded near where city #4 once existed.

2650 BC: William Wallace begins work on Chichen Itza.

2600 BC: Americans are pissed we haven't withdrawn troops from their territory. Rooboy II is pissed none of his advisors had ever mentioned this agreement to him when he took over the reigns of the Greek Empire. They are all publicly hung.

2550 BC: Yanks declare war on us.

2500 BC: Warrior in giant forest comes accross 2 ruin sites. Other warriors in cities with hoplites garrisonned are sent to explore. Rooboy II is assasinated by former citizens of Sparta for destroying their city.

Sorry it's a bit short. Humor to come.
Old June 11, 2001, 23:55   #29
Pilfur
Chieftain

Pilfur II
3276 B.C.E.
One year before his disappearance, the great Pilfur, reconciler of Athens and Sparta and founder of Mountainside, had an affair with a young woman named Ethel.

3275 B.C.E.
After Pilfur had disappeared, Ethel discovered that she was pregnant and a child was born, named Bob. Bob had no interest whatsoever in running his father's empire. And left things in the hands of the capable Rhuarc.

3100 B.C.E.
Bob had been lonely most of his life, when one day fishing in a bog, he met a young vision of loveliness named Helen. They fell in love.

3060 B.C.E.
To Bob and Helen a child was born, named after his grandfather, Pilfur II. Pilfur II was named for his grandfather for he had a look of imortality in his eye, just as hid grandfather did.

2500 B.C.E.
Indeed, the boy lived a long time, and was still strong and in good health over 500 years later when he took control of the empire. He had been vying to take it for many years but was especially ready when he saw his home, Sparta, uprooted by the despicable rooboy2. Pilfur organized a mob to destroy the horrid man, taking his revenge.

Indeed, the empire was in a shambles. The horrid slaving french had still not been found, and now rooboy2 had established a ceasefire with them. Pilfur II swore that he would find and trash their evil society. What was worse, the Americans had declared war on Greece and the people had become lazy. Pilfur II forced longer work hours for greater production.

Explorers to the far west searched through ruins and found others doing likewise. These men spoke with the leader of the Greek explorers and agreed that the two had common goals. They would join the Greek empire.

The new settlers would work their way back to Greece rather than establish a colony so very far away. It is decided that a city should be built on the great river near the Wombat Mountain Range.

2400-2300
The settlers work their way back, as other explorers chart American territory.

New American cities are spotted by the explorers southwest of Washington. Pilfur II unable to locate France with his explorers to the east, declares himself a failure, and hands the reigns of power to the next great Apolyton.
Old June 12, 2001, 10:42   #30
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Here I am - looking at the thread title and wondering if the wombat was offering to join our collective - but no SG stands for Succession Game not Scouse Gits - such a disappointment ...

Keep on civin' guys - looks good - should I buy this game?