Old May 26, 2001, 21:03   #1
manofthehour
Warlord

Local Time: 10:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Liberating civilization
I think something that would make CIV3 a totaly unquie experince is if you could liberate cities. In World War 2 the french were beaten out of France but America and England gave it back as they pushed the Germans back. I think it would be cool to see a civ return to the world after being conquered.
Old May 26, 2001, 21:21   #2
CivPatriot
Mac
Warlord

Local Time: 05:24

I like the idea. It could add to your Culture if yo do so.
But I would only see it happening with Democratic or Repubican governemnts, or unless the Civ was a long time and outstanding ally.
Old May 26, 2001, 21:43   #3
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

I like it the country that you liberated should be great allies with you for years after that. Any AI government should be able to do it. Just the leaders temperment should influence it. Ok maybe being a Tyranny might influence it a bit. Damn too much CTP2 I said Tyranny instead of ... instead of ........ arrggh I cant think of it in civ2 what's your first gov.... GOD!.... civ1 is just empire or something I think.... Damnit memory loss.
Old May 26, 2001, 21:53   #4
Brad
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkknight
I like it the country that you liberated should be great allies with you for years after that. Any AI government should be able to do it. Just the leaders temperment should influence it. Ok maybe being a Tyranny might influence it a bit. Damn too much CTP2 I said Tyranny instead of ... instead of ........ arrggh I cant think of it in civ2 what's your first gov.
Despotism
Old May 27, 2001, 01:35   #5
Kc7mxo
King

I've always wanted the ability to do this, but in SMAC you could do it just by giving a city to the other player. I'm sure that this will still be implemented.

But it would be nice if it was done automatically for your allies.
But would it go to the ally who most recently had it, or the one who built it. Hmmm.
Old May 27, 2001, 04:15   #6
imgod2u
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:24
I'd like the ability to strip a city of all resources and materials before handing it over to another civ. That way, if the giving cities ability is in Civ3, you could sell cities for any price.
Also, I'd like to be able to draw my own borders. So that it won't be that I'd need a city somewhere in order to claim that land. Certain the US didn't need to when they claimed the Louisiana Purchase or the western territories.
Old May 27, 2001, 06:29   #7
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:24
I would like to see the format of Europa Univesalis adopted. That is a territory/cities have a civ that owns them, and similarly a civ that is occupying them. That way if your ally liberates your territory then you automatically get it back.
Old May 27, 2001, 11:16   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

bah.

liberation of cities sounds bad from what i read here.

suppose im allied with someone, but its a decietful alliance?

what if i dont WANT to give the city back, or i want to sell it for a few thousand gold?

the transfer of cities, and everything else i built or took over, should belong to me, and no one else.

after all (in civ2, maybe civ3) only one can win.
Old May 27, 2001, 16:08   #9
SerapisIV
King

I don't think returning cities will be or should be automatic. I like the SMAC option of giving them back, though it would be nice if the AI was able to recognize the city as being originally one of theirs and wanting back and willing to give up money or conquer for it. I think culture should be able to help this idea by giving a city an identity that is not easily changed following a conquering. Even after a few years, a conquered city should still want to rejoin its original civ.
Old May 28, 2001, 05:12   #10
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

I personally prefer the Birth of the Federation option for liberating cities. Bascially a planet belonged to or was a member of a certain empire (Ferenghi, Cardassian etc.). This planet might then get captured by a mutual enemy. If your empire launches a ground assault on that planet, a pop-up box comes up asking if you want to liberate the planet. If you say yes, then the planet goes back to the original owner. I fyou say no, then you take over the city. The main value of liberation of a planet in BOTF is that it's easier than trying to occupying it and the original owner feels much more kindly towards you!

The_Aussie_Lurker
Old May 28, 2001, 07:22   #11
Stuff2
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Kc7mxo
I've always wanted the ability to do this, but in SMAC you could do it just by giving a city to the other player. I'm sure that this will still be implemented.

But it would be nice if it was done automatically for your allies.
But would it go to the ally who most recently had it, or the one who built it. Hmmm.
I think it should go to the ally who recently had it. Otherwise it could get very confusing. For instance you liberate a french city and gives it back to the english who built it in the first place even if it has been french for ages. This is a very good and simple idea. When you capture a city that recently has belonged to your ally it will automatically be handed over to that ally.
Old May 28, 2001, 10:02   #12
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 12:24
It shouldn't be automatic, how will it be possible to play Stalin if I keep giving away 'my' cities to a bunch of pinkos all the time?
Old May 28, 2001, 10:31   #13
To_Serve_Man
Warlord

What if, during the course of battle, this 'ally' is beaten back to only one or two cities. With this amount, they cannot really fight back. But you step in and help them out by taking over the alliances enemies cities. So you are taking your allies cities from the enemy who has taken them from this ally who is down to one or two cities... anyway, your ally is not totally destroyed, like the French were in World War Two... and lets say we can give back cities somehow, do I still have to give back those cities even though that player was not truly defeated?

Another point, how many years can pass before those cities can be 'Liberated'? If an ally from 3000bc is destroyed by our enemy, can I liberate them in 1900 AD? Can I liberate them in 1000BC?

I have more to say, but there is a lighting storm over head and I dont want to be on my computer if the power goes out!!
Old May 28, 2001, 10:46   #14
aCa
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:24
It have been comfirmed that you can give away cities in the diplomacy screen.
Old May 28, 2001, 13:13   #15
manofthehour
Warlord

Well as for how long the city could be given back, it should be turns instead of year. Also the people in the city could let you know what they want.
Old May 28, 2001, 13:23   #16
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Sounds good.
Old May 28, 2001, 14:33   #17
manofthehour
Warlord

Also mabey instead of your people only complaining when yuo are at war maybe they could say we need to help our allies.
Old May 28, 2001, 14:58   #18
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
It shouldn't be automatic, how will it be possible to play Stalin if I keep giving away 'my' cities to a bunch of pinkos all the time?
ahahahhaha