Old May 27, 2001, 13:26   #1
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 11:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Unique Units
Could someone inform me about the unique units that each civ is going to have, which are confirmed, how will this work with custom civs? Wild specalutions are also welcome .
Old May 27, 2001, 14:10   #2
Ralf
King

Re: Unique Units
Quote:
Originally posted by Wille
Could someone inform me about the unique units that each civ is going to have, which are confirmed, how will this work with custom civs? Wild specalutions are also welcome .
Read this PC.ign preview

Quote:
Civ III will also add resource prerequisites for units. [...] Each unit is tied to a resource so you're available forces will be dictated by your own resource supply.
I interpret it that each and every single unit-type in Civ-3 have these resource prerequisites. More or less.

Quote:
On the conquest side you'll have access to something like 60 units. While many of these are the same as they were in the previous game, each of the game's sixteen civilizations will have a unique unit that fits in a particular era. Instead of swordsmen, Rome will have Legions. The Greeks replace spearmen with Hoplites. The English make use of the Man-o-War instead of the Frigate while the French create Musketeers. The American F-15 replaces the basic jet fighter and the German Panzer gives them the edge over normal tanks.
Obs! "...will have a unique unit" (singularis). Its not that each Civ have its own complete setup of unique unit-types here. Only ONE unique type per Civ - and ONLY connected to this or that era. And its checkbox-optional, anyway. Well, thats certainly puts things into perspective.

On the other hand: Check out THIS SCREENSHOT.

Look at the different variations of the tank-unit. According to PC.ign only the German Panser is a special. What about the others? Are they generic, but with unique graphics only? I dont know...

Last edited by Ralf; May 27, 2001 at 14:34.
Old May 27, 2001, 14:12   #3
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 12:25
You might be also interested in this thread
It is an older thread with lots of "wild speculations"
Old May 27, 2001, 14:48   #4
Footie Mad
Prince

Look at the different variations of the tank-unit. According to PC.ign, only the German Panser is a special. How about the others? Are they generic, but with unique graphics only? I dont know...

Looks like several nations has a tank as a special unit....or they are just different prototypes of what tanks should look like.....or the are adding some depht to the modern age when compared to civ 2:s one tank. A million other theories exist...
Old May 27, 2001, 15:11   #5
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:25
About the tanks: 1 is the German Panzer, 1 looks like it could well be an APC rather than a Tank, 1 looks like it's some early WWI tank and the remaining one is a modern Abrams tank (see art gallery on Firaxis' website). So only 2 generic tanks if you ask me, an early and a modern one, makes perfect sense to me...

For info on other unique units, check the 'civs included' thread. We try to keep track of the facts about which civs are in there, including info on their unique units. No room for "wild speculations", but all unique units that are (fairly) certain to be in the game are mentioned.
Old May 27, 2001, 20:38   #6
El hidalgo
Warlord

Local Time: 04:25
Wild speculation: "unique unit" status will be a flag you can toggle on and off in rules.txt. That way you will be able to have as many (or as few) unique units as you want. Great for scenario developers.
Old May 27, 2001, 23:40   #7
Kestrel
Warlord

Local Time: 10:25
Quote:
On the conquest side you'll have access to something like 60 units.

Surely 60 units is not the maxiumum number of 'different' units possible.

(While the number of possible diff. units in a standard game of CIv II was 51, In Civ II - ToT the player who wished to customise had access to 80 possible different units.)

If 60-ish is not the right number, what is the maximum number of User defined uits that is likely to be possible ?

Does anyone know ?

Can anyone wildly speculate ?
Old June 3, 2001, 16:46   #8
K.J.H.
Chieftain

All what I know is:
Romans - Roman Legions
Americans - F15's
Greeks - Hoplites
Germans - Panzers
French - Musketeers? (dunno for sure)
Russian - Migs? (an other thing i'm not sure about, I'd like to see the KGB as some kind of advanced spy for the Russians)

Japanese - Probably Samurai (if i was a game producer, i've chosen for Samurai AND Kamikaze planes)
Vikings - Longships
Anyone Else?????
Old June 3, 2001, 17:02   #9
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 06:25
But: the Abrams tank is an American tank. I don't think they would force this on every Civ. So, my hypothesis is that the US has at least two special units, F-15 and Abrams. Such a thing would imply, despite any grammar usage to the contrary, that every civ has multiple unique units.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 3, 2001, 17:08   #10
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
But: the Abrams tank is an American tank. I don't think they would force this on every Civ. So, my hypothesis is that the US has at least two special units, F-15 and Abrams. Such a thing would imply, despite any grammar usage to the contrary, that every civ has multiple unique units.
This would explain the " confirmed? " 16 civs which is not very much but perhaps they are going for difference between the civs instead of many similar ones. Quality instead of quantity?