Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
There you go again...
Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion

Game designers? what does color have to do with balance? can you explain me that? it was your idea to say there can only be one ancient civ per color...
Your guilty of not reading the whole thread again, Ecthy.

Go back and read my longer response.

And then tell us how you can pick say China and Persia at start without changing the game files.
Old May 31, 2001, 13:51   #32
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 05:25
I usually pick Celtic, as my ancestory is Irish/Scot.

If I join a game in progress, and Romans are available as AI, I pick Roman.
The Roman AI builds most closely to the way I do, so I can pick it up and go with smaller effort.

To the person looking for games:
Get ICQ, if you don't have now
Check the ICQ listing Ming keeps current, and add contacts.
My ICQ number is attached to every post I do, in signature line.
Old May 31, 2001, 14:19   #33
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 12:25
Re: There you go again...
Quote:
Originally posted by cpoulos
Your guilty of not reading the whole thread again, Ecthy.

Go back and read my longer response.

And then tell us how you can pick say China and Persia at start without changing the game files.
I was never talking about game files. You asked for favourised ancient civs, I answered. You're just a blidn American who treid to improve the world.

You can say whatever you want, I don't see any apology by you in this thread, any apology related to your harsh comment against me.
Old May 31, 2001, 15:49   #34
Chris 62
Emperor

Odd behaviour...
Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion

I was never talking about game files. You asked for favourised ancient civs, I answered. You're just a blidn American who treid to improve the world.
Have you been drinking, Ecthy?

Quote:
You can say whatever you want, I don't see any apology by you in this thread, any apology related to your harsh comment against me.
I'm sorry you didn't read the whole thread.
Old May 31, 2001, 16:13   #35
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

yeah, accuse me of drinking, it will work fine
Old May 31, 2001, 16:32   #36
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Let's return to the actual thread, gentlemen. You could have picked any seven for your poll, couldn't you? Even within colors, why do you say the Mongols were/are more significant than the Indians? The Indians are a thriving, growing power (now nuclear) who survived from the dawn of recorded history to date, while the Mongols had a few good years and then returned to complete insignificance. Name a technological advance credited to the Mongols. Even the recurved bow is not their invention.

As far as not reading the whole thread, try mine again. I contend Carthage is the successor of Phoenicia, a state older than Greece itself. That alone should have caused you to abandon the one per color approach.
Old May 31, 2001, 18:53   #37
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 05:25
Jeezus people. Ease up.
This is a historical review, or a simple question ?
I'll choose Vikings.
Why? Because I'm an ignorant Texan in the U.S. and it seems Vikings are closest thing to Celtic listed.
That, and the color is easier for me to distinquish.

Old May 31, 2001, 19:38   #38
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:25
The Greeks are my favorite without doubt. Even though I rib MarkG a lot, I admire the ancient Greeks immensely. They are really the founders of Western civilisation. The Romans were a brutal thuggish lot by comparison. They borrowed most aspects of civilisation including their Gods from the Greeks.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old June 1, 2001, 04:36   #39
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Blaupanzer
Let's return to the actual thread, gentlemen. You could have picked any seven for your poll, couldn't you? Even within colors, why do you say the Mongols were/are more significant than the Indians? The Indians are a thriving, growing power (now nuclear) who survived from the dawn of recorded history to date, while the Mongols had a few good years and then returned to complete insignificance. Name a technological advance credited to the Mongols. Even the recurved bow is not their invention.
You have obviously no idea what you´re talking about. The Mongols themselves may not have invented much, but they were in control of most of Asia for about a century, in China for about 2 centuries and in Russia for almost 3 centuries. Considering Russia and China are/were two of the more powerful nations during the 20th century, the Mongol influence cannot be overstated. Furthermore, in contrast with Medieval Europe, the Mongols supported scientific research and they were tolerant towards other religions. Their gigantic empire (the largest ever) ensured a long period of peace in Asia (Pax Mongolica), allowing for trade, and contact in general, between Asia and Europe to flourish. If it wasn´t for the Mongols, things like the Trebuchet, Gunpowder and other ancient Chinese inventions would never have reached Europe as early as they did now.
(Have a look at http://www.coldsiberia.org for more about the Mongols)

Sorry for that, but I just had to reply to that.
Old June 1, 2001, 08:53   #40
Chris 62
Emperor

Thank you, Mercator, for answering that post in so eloquent a fashion.

Carthage may be the successors to the Phoenicians, as you assert, Blau, but it changes nothing.

I included the founding date of Carthage and Rome, in the previous posts.
If your next assertion is that the Carthaginians (Or the Phoenicians, for that matter), are more significant then Greek civilization, then there is nothing further to discuss, as that is nonsense.
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
The Greeks are my favorite without doubt. Even though I rib MarkG a lot, I admire the ancient Greeks immensely. They are really the founders of Western civilisation. The Romans were a brutal thuggish lot by comparison. They borrowed most aspects of civilisation including their Gods from the Greeks.
I would not have guessed that, AH. Do you play as them in your MP games?
The Romans provided many contributions to both the ancient and modern world, but their most lasting was the invention of Concrete. They can also be considered as the first nation that made a real attempt to unite humanity under one government. Of course they failed, and their empire stagnated, but the attempt was there for awhile.
Old June 1, 2001, 09:38   #41
Juggler
Prince

Local Time: 11:25
I voted for the Romans but I usually play other civs as well. I don't like playing one civ all the time because it can get boring. The only civ which I don't like playing are the Chinese but that doesn't really mather.