Warlord

Local Time: 05:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
unique civs
Yes each civ should be unique as that is what the real world is :s
Old May 28, 2001, 19:08   #2
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 10:26
Any specific way you plan to inform us how you wish for Firaxis to implement this?

Do you
A: Pick three traits from a drop-down menu for your civ and the computer does likewise for the other 6 civs.
or
B: Do something else?
Old May 28, 2001, 19:20   #3
tniem
King

No, no darkcloud he wants us to be as unique as the real world

So obviously no drop down menus because that would mean we would have traits in common. We need to all be unique as the real world.
Old May 28, 2001, 20:29   #4
roalan
Warlord

the unique differences should be as in AOE . If you notice in Harlons Civ2 WW2 scenarios each like unit have different ststs. The Italian Inf are weaker then German Inf. etc. This is what it shouild be no big deal.
Old May 29, 2001, 08:04   #5
SerapisIV
King

Italian Infantry were weaker then German infantry in WWII according to the timeline that humanity has currently followed. Civ is about creating your own past and history, thus any uniqueness that exists today would be null and void because the history that resulted in stronger German infantry would not exist in your civ game, so why should my civs be hampered or benefit from strengths and weaknesses of peoples and history that never existed in my Civ games?
Old May 29, 2001, 14:14   #6
roalan
Warlord

It does not make sense what you are saying. I can see that when you start the game in 4000BC everyone is equal but if you want to build your civ when do the differences take over,under your way it will be never.So one can never build a unique civ. that way.
Old May 29, 2001, 14:40   #7
SerapisIV
King

I think game events would trigger bonuses, such as having the largest navy gives a ship movement bonus, having the most libraries gives a research bonus, etc. I don't want my civs to be defined by real-world history. Leader attitudes, fine, but stronger German infantry versus Italian infantry? This hasn't always been true, the Roman (Italian) infantry kicked the crap out of the German (barbarian) infantry for hundreds of years before internal decay brought down Rome? Comparing a civ that collapsed over 2 thousand years ago (Egyptians) to one that only rose to power in the past 500 (Russians, Americans) makes much less sense to me.
Old May 29, 2001, 14:54   #8
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 12:26
Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
I don't want my civs to be defined by real-world history
Amen to that

And the fact that real world civs have so many unique attributes through the years it becomes completely arbitrary (and not real) to choose just one thing.
Old May 29, 2001, 14:58   #9
roalan
Warlord

I agree to that something should trigger off a difference between countries based on your game play.I doubt weither it will be done that way.
Old May 29, 2001, 15:20   #10
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by roalan

I doubt weither it will be done that way.
So do I, unfortunately. Probably be a real ***** to implement anyway and hell to debug. In the absence of such a system I'd prefer not having unique civs and instead have governments have a much greater impact on play style, such that your gov't decided the differences, you could also give some AI players strong gov't preferences, so the game has some more flavor.

Although SE is most likely dead as well, I'd like to see seperate gov't and economic system choices. That way democracy doesn't automatically mean capitalism. AI preferences here would result in differing play styles. Maybe these choices would have some unit bonus/negatives as well.

Whatever ends up I don't like bonuses for unique units. Graphically unique units I want, unique by stats I'm against.
Old May 29, 2001, 15:29   #11
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 06:26
like, if you tend to build a lot of infantry, then your infantry units later shuold get veteran status, and your cavalry will not be benifited.
Old May 29, 2001, 15:37   #12
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 06:26
Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
Italian Infantry were weaker then German infantry in WWII according to the timeline that humanity has currently followed. Civ is about creating your own past and history, thus any uniqueness that exists today would be null and void because the history that resulted in stronger German infantry would not exist in your civ game, so why should my civs be hampered or benefit from strengths and weaknesses of peoples and history that never existed in my Civ games?

Timeline, he said timeline

I propose no one should discuss unique civs who is unable to provide definitions for the following abreviations

OTL
ATL
POD
WI

and of course.

AH

Lord of the Mark
Old May 29, 2001, 22:59   #13
Chronus
Prince

Local Time: 10:26
"Yes each civ should be unique as that is what the real world is "

My own Civs are unique . . . and without the help of unique units or civ bonuses that are GIVEN to me by the computer instead of me EARNING them (via Wonders, strategy, personal playing style, etc.)