Old May 30, 2001, 22:21   #1
TechWins
King

Local Time: 03:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
World Wars
I want to be able to have an on going war with more than one civ on each side fighting. Like how World War I had the Central Powers which started off with Germany, Austria-Hungray, Ottoman Empire, Italy, and Bulgaria. That side ended up being basically just Germany fighting at the end. On the side of the Allies it was Great Britain and Russia then turned into US and Great Britain. I want that to be able to happen. Then another case is World War II, but I won't get into that. Basically I want the ability of being able to have a World War with maybe 5 civs involved. Or something like that.
Old May 31, 2001, 00:11   #2
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 05:30
Well, I want the latest Mercedes model, but will I get that??
Old May 31, 2001, 02:25   #3
Rollo_CH
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:30
I think there's a strong possibility for WW kind of scenario's in Civ3. Just imagine what will happen if one Civ sits on the major part of oil for example, and blocks that resource for you and your potential allies....

Actually...Italy did fight with the "Allies" in WW1. They were involved in a series of bloody battles on the "Alp"-front against Austria-Hungary.
Old May 31, 2001, 03:09   #4
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 20:30
I agree, it would be "nice" to seem some proper world wars. But if you're fighting alongside an AI, will it understand this is a "world war" and calls for a mass mobilisation of it's troops? Will it understand how to invade across oceans (i.e. sending more than one or two units).

The sucess of Civ3 single player is really going to come down to the quality of the AI. Lets hope Firaxis aren't taking AI programming lessons from Activision!!
Old May 31, 2001, 14:17   #5
TechWins
King

Local Time: 03:30
"Actually...Italy did fight with the "Allies" in WW1. They were involved in a series of bloody battles on the "Alp"-front against Austria-Hungary.[COLOR=blue]Actually...Italy did fight with the "Allies" in WW1. They were involved in a series of bloody battles on the "Alp"-front against Austria-Hungary."

Yes, I know Italy went from the CP to the Allies later on in the war. I don't see why this wouldn't be able to happen Mr. Fun. I think if the diplomacy is good enough it should be able to happen. I'm also not just talking about scenarios, either. I want this to happen in the real game.
Old May 31, 2001, 14:36   #6
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 12:30
Italy never fought for the Central Powers, fellas... they were allied with both Germany and Austro-Hungary, but even before the war they signed a non-agression-treaty with France...

when the war began, Italy was a neutral country. Later on, they declared war on the Central Powers, yet never fought with them.
Old May 31, 2001, 17:00   #7
Lordfluffers
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
Italy never fought for the Central Powers, fellas... they were allied with both Germany and Austro-Hungary, but even before the war they signed a non-agression-treaty with France...

when the war began, Italy was a neutral country. Later on, they declared war on the Central Powers, yet never fought with them.
er actually Italy declared war against the Central Powers in 1915, or was it 1916, but then preceeded to launch several disasterous campaigns against the Austrians through the Alps. By the end of the war after 2 or 3 years and thousands upon thousands dead, Italy had actually achieved nothing. The Italian military in WW1 were possibly more incompetent and pathetic than in WW2!!!
Old May 31, 2001, 17:09   #8
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 06:30
Yes, Italy was involved in WW1... that is how the Lepanto disaster occured .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 1, 2001, 01:54   #9
Rollo_CH
Chieftain

Quote:
Italy had actually achieved nothing.
Well...they actually achieved something: They gained the province of South Tirol from the Austrians (mostly inhabited by german speking), and if i recall correctly, Trieste and some croatian islands in the Adriatic.
Old June 1, 2001, 03:13   #10
Jason
Warlord

Italy
The chief (there were a few) Italian military disaster of the war was Caparetto, which I'm sure I just mispelled. The entire army was miserably dislocated and they had to fall back onto a river-line in Venetia. It was all quite embarassing for Italy, and a sort of last hurrah for my precious Austro-Hungary, although IIRC the Germans were already helping them by fighting with them on A-H fronts pretty well in earnest.

As for claims, they wanted Split; heck, they wanted the whole Dalmatian coast, in modern Croatia. Split was temporarily occupied by an Italian futurist/fascist poet, kind of a funny story, actually.