Old May 31, 2001, 02:57   #1
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 20:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Trade
As i understand, Firaxis said that a trade route can only be established by building a road to that resource or city. Does this mean their will be no sea resources, and no means to trade accross islands?? Trading by ship was established far before people traded by roads, but even so their must be some means of trading through sea routes at some stage of civilization.

Also, as meantioned before resources should exhaust, i think that some reasources should run out faster than others - this will get rid of having phalanx units in the 20th century .

Last edited by Alex 14; May 31, 2001 at 03:08.
Old May 31, 2001, 08:01   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 05:30
Quote:
Also, as meantioned before resources should exhaust, i think that some reasources should run out faster than others - this will get rid of having phalanx units in the 20th century .
as a resource depletes, another one is created on the map, so bronze will never be gone completely.

Quote:
Does this mean their will be no sea resources, and no means to trade accross islands??
if you have a harbor in a city that is connected to your capital, you can build cities on far continents, and if they have a harbor, their resources are added to the trade network.

im not sure how colonies on an island would work... i think you need a city.
Old May 31, 2001, 08:36   #3
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

I f colonies are used to access land resources, how do you access resources from the sea? Do you think there is a new tile improvement or something to gain access to these? Or is there a new type of unit in the game that build some sort of a sea colony?
Old May 31, 2001, 09:59   #4
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 11:30
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
as a resource depletes, another one is created on the map, so bronze will never be gone completely.
To the best of my knowledge this is a speculative hypothesis suggested by an Apolytoner to explain how additional resources might be continue to be discovered as time goes on. All we know from official sources is that there is a mechanism to allow further supplies to be found and a reference to having to prospect to find them. Have I missed something?
Old May 31, 2001, 11:07   #5
SerapisIV
King

Unfortunately that sounds true, I've heard nothing about resource regeneration, only depletion, hopefully we'll never lose all the iron resources, humanity has been mining it for thousands of years now and I've never heard us being short on supply. I'm sure that Firaxis will implement what SMAC had, which was random appearances of resources as the years go on. It makes sense, hopefully what'll happen though instead of resources just popping up randomly is instead a entirely new resource region will pop up as the old one gets depleted. It would be a great game feature if say the Middle East runs out of oil, only to be replaced by Siberian/Alaskan oil fields. Suddenly rich Middle Eastern civs lose all political influence. It would make for a great game dynamic as resource monopolies shift all around the glode
Old June 1, 2001, 01:43   #6
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 20:30
Quote:
if you have a harbor in a city that is connected to your capital, you can build cities on far continents, and if they have a harbor, their resources are added to the trade network.
Great, but what if you want to trade with one of your cities accross a small ocean?
Old June 1, 2001, 03:57   #7
Rollo_CH
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:30
Quote:
I f colonies are used to access land resources, how do you access resources from the sea? Do you think there is a new tile improvement or something to gain access to these? Or is there a new type of unit in the game that build some sort of a sea colony?
How about Fishing boats? And later on, Oil and natural gas rigs. Are there any other resources from the sea?
Old June 1, 2001, 04:14   #8
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 12:30
Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
It would be a great game feature if say the Middle East runs out of oil, only to be replaced by Siberian/Alaskan oil fields. Suddenly rich Middle Eastern civs lose all political influence. It would make for a great game dynamic as resource monopolies shift all around the glode
Hehe, I can already imagine a powerful Eskimo and Inchuk lobby in the Congress and GWB declaring war against Polar (and other) Bears (pesky creatures disrupting oil production).