Old May 31, 2001, 15:20   #1
Everyman
Civilization II Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How Often Do You Press the Wrong Directional Arrow Key?
It happens to me about 2-3 times a game.

I'll become too caught up in the action and press the wrong arrow key then . . . boom! my gold caravan that has travelled across a continent will end up next to an enemy crusader. I hate it when that happens.

Am I the only one who makes dumb mistakes when moving my units?
Old May 31, 2001, 15:30   #2
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 12:31
happens to me sometimes, not too often though
Old May 31, 2001, 16:11   #3
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:31
Three to four times a game, a unit seems to take it into its own head where its going and jumps the track I had intended for it to follow. Either that, or I pressed the wrong key.

Last edited by Blaupanzer; June 4, 2001 at 16:05.
Old May 31, 2001, 16:31   #4
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 05:31
yes every now and then I press the wrong key, with less than satisfying results.

But what happens more frequently, when I host MP games. ( i have a new box and it just screams, compared to the old one of course. I'm sure it's already obsolete) Is when moving one unit, I hold the key down just a little too long and the unit next in rotations moves in the same direction. arrrggggggggggg.

RAH
Old May 31, 2001, 18:51   #5
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Too often...
Old May 31, 2001, 19:44   #6
Caber
Settler

Every time I have a trireme doing something important...
Old May 31, 2001, 20:36   #7
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:31
i think sometimes the Horde just doesnt' listen to me...... my fingers certainly aren't too fat
Old May 31, 2001, 20:38   #8
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
yes every now and then I press the wrong key, with less than satisfying results.

But what happens more frequently, when I host MP games. ( i have a new box and it just screams, compared to the old one of course. I'm sure it's already obsolete) Is when moving one unit, I hold the key down just a little too long and the unit next in rotations moves in the same direction. arrrggggggggggg.

RAH
All I can add to the above is ... "arrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh!".
Old June 1, 2001, 12:35   #9
Juggler
Prince

Local Time: 11:31
I just hate it when that happens but I guess there is nothing I can do since I always seem to be in some sort of a hurry.

But it almost always happens when I'm attacking an enemy unit.
Old June 1, 2001, 21:08   #10
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Way too often. You know where you have to move those 50 or so units across the continent to this big battle and theres that one little curve in the railroad and bamm half your units take a liking to the mountains all of a sudden.
Old June 1, 2001, 21:40   #11
Sean
Prince

Not very often. If it does happen, better for it to happen when you are exploring, and not when you are in the middle of a war. Or when time is the cruicial factor.
Old June 3, 2001, 12:20   #12
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Not too often because of my way of playing: I never go back to a save no matter what. Hardcore civing! So I learned to be careful!

Now if soemthing really bad happens ocne in a while (trireme gets lost because of wrong key, or Nuclear falls upon Pekino becaue of wrong key) i reload!
Old June 3, 2001, 22:38   #13
Bohlen
Prince

Happens every now and then. What happens more often is that a Caravan entering a city should help build a wonder and I establish a trade route instead...or vice versa.
Old June 4, 2001, 10:45   #14
East Street Trader
Prince

Something I've been trying lately is to move boats with the mouse instead of the arrow keys. That forces a moment's delay between each move with the result that if an enemy vessel hoves into view I haven't just gone blithely on my way, possibly with the result of making an unplanned attack.

If I move using the arrow keys I'm likely to press the key three (or whatever) times in very rapid succession without allowing time to take in what appears in the boat's path.

Haven't done this for long enough to be sure ir helps any, but it feels OK.

Two habbits which have definately paid off are: (1) religiously making the task of going back to cities that have been maxed out prior to delivering a caravan (to re-assign the workers) as absolutely the next thing done after the caravan is delivered. About the only thing which might still deflect me would be one of those sudden appearances of a message that another civ wants to parley. Otherwise I did it obsessively until now its ingrained habit. So I haven't had the message that Carthage can't support its settlers for a bit; (2) always going back to cancel the instructions given to settlers when they are on the move but you don't use the whole of the move so that you can store some work up in them meantime. They have stored the work the moment after you give them the instruction and retain it if the instructions are cancelled. I find its easy to cancel when I do it as part of the full set of instructions given to that unit that turn. Sometimes I then forget in the next or subsequent turns which ones are pre-worked and which aren't but that's no big deal. What I avoid by it are those occasions when I've told a settler to mine a square fully intending to cancel and use the stored work on another task only to find, half a dozen moves later that an unwanted mine or unwanted forest appears and I wake up to the fact that I've been forgetting those settlers in the meantime. You can cancel just by clicking on the unit or, if it's paused inside a city, when you click on its icon the instruction to cancel is the default option that comes up so its overall just a three click task (open city screen, click on icon, click on OK).
Old June 4, 2001, 13:13   #15
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 04:31
Not often, but I echo Rah's frustration with holding the key down a blip too long - sending the horseman away from the hut, or the trireme into the soup. Grrr...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old June 4, 2001, 15:40   #16
rah
lifer
Just another peon

And of course the ship will have a settler pikeman combo on-board.

Or the ship will attack a city. Which is my favorite since the civ you attack get's pissed.

RAH
Old June 4, 2001, 20:18   #17
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

I hate when I end the turn with the city screen still open. you can here your troops taking a beating but can't see it!!!
Old June 5, 2001, 10:11   #18
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

MWHC, in 2.42, I can't end a turn with the city screen open. Not that I'd want to, but the little message comes up saying you must close the city screen to proceed (continue?). What version are you playing?
Old June 6, 2001, 17:45   #19
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:31
drat
This is very annoying when multiplaying because you can't save and reload when you hit the wrong key.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old June 7, 2001, 17:38   #20
Deity Dude
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Originally posted by rah

But what happens more frequently, I hold the key down just a little too long and the unit next in rotations moves in the same direction. arrrggggggggggg.
RAH
I do that one alot but my ALL TIME MOST ANNOYING MOVE is as follows. Another player asks a question and the old "chat with king" menu pops up. Then while typing an answer to the question it switches to my turn and my attempted keystrokes turn into ridiculous commands. In a recent game I missed 2 whole turns altogether and irrigated a meaningless square all before founding my first city.

Another one I do sometimes is I get caught in the middle of adjusting workers in a city when it switches to my turn - usually when I'm deciding if I should switch off the whale to gold in an attempt to time the oedo year and beaker count exactly thus costing me a 4 turn wait in my revolution.
Old June 8, 2001, 08:58   #21
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Getting caught shifting workers between turns sucks and it does happen to me quite often early when the turns are moving fast. (but I would rather have this than people doing it during their turns)

Gee, I hope that irrigation wasn't completed. You can stop them.

The king chat sometimes catches me because I'll be moving the cursor and it will translate to a GOTO command. And after a few beers I sometimes don't clear it right.

RAH
Old June 8, 2001, 10:36   #22
Gothmog
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

This happens all the freakin' time to me. This is because I am a hasty player with poor hand eye coordination. Usually I don't reload and just accept the results, but I wiil reload in a critical situation, like if I need 3 howitzers to take out a city, but fumble with one of them thus making it not possible to win.
Old June 8, 2001, 10:40   #23
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

hey Gothmog, remember me?

you know, Gondolin...

rah - don't tell me you're drinking beer when playing CIV2 MP
Old June 8, 2001, 14:35   #24
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

All too often with airplanes looking over the sea for enemy ships. Think 5 out, 5 back. Arrow key 1-2-3-4-5 . . . 6 arrrrgh.
Old June 8, 2001, 22:17   #25
Dan Severn
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:31
'Tappens all the tyme ta' me, but I don' let it get me down.
I pretend this is only the result of ineptitude in the command chain, not my impatience.
I then tell myself that the offending electronic warrior has been excecuted on the spot, and his entire extended family banished for life to that strip of glacier at the vertical limits of the map. (i've been playin' cutthroats so long, Civ2 only makes me happy in bloodbath.) sometimes I have the division decimated as a lesson.
I know, I should get out more
¡Mueran todos los Reyes!
Old June 9, 2001, 08:29   #26
Gothmog
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Ecthelion
Actually I'm Gothmog, Lieutenant of the Tower of Minas Morgul, not Gothmog, Lord of the Balrogs. If I were a balrog, I might not have trouble with those keys.
Old June 9, 2001, 11:45   #27
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

It only happens when I'm trying real hard not to do it.
Old June 9, 2001, 20:12   #28
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Often enough...
...that I have never finished a game without reloading at least once...
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old June 10, 2001, 07:30   #29
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 20:31
I really hate hitting the wrong key and having my peaceful trireme filled with a settler and a Pikeman headed to form a new city only to find them attacking a neighbors civ who is much stronger than me

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old June 10, 2001, 21:03   #30
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Earwicker
All too often with airplanes looking over the sea for enemy ships. Think 5 out, 5 back. Arrow key 1-2-3-4-5 . . . 6 arrrrgh.
ALARP! Yes that happens to me quite often as well...particularly in combat/war...I tend to get too enthusiastic and fly a bit too far to find out I'm gonna crash...