Old May 31, 2001, 16:42   #1
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Fresh Water Oceans, Fresh Water Whales
This is just curiosity on my part. Does anyone know of a civilization that actually used the ocean in developing irrigation? The way we irrigate in the game is to start next to water, including the saltwater oceans. Either they are saltwater, or the whales in the oceans are a fresh water variety. In the real world, much early irrigation was well-based where rivers and lakes were not available. In the game, only the AI can do well-based irrigation, being able to irrigate any square. Except, of course, for all city squares which, while being automatically irrigated themselves, do not facilitate irrigating the squares next to them. Quelle strange.
Old May 31, 2001, 17:22   #2
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 05:31
Since coastal regions tend to recieve much more rain than inland regions, they have more and larger ponds, lakes, and rivers/streams*, and have a higher saturated zone overall. I would consider irrigation in those areas as taking advantage of this.

*These would be smaller, unnavigable waterways, as opposed to the rivers we see on the map...
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 31, 2001, 20:24   #3
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 06:31
Another really funny anomaly is a river that goes in a complete circle. I have seen this so many times, but I still crack up. I also once saw a river that did not start or end in any lake.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old May 31, 2001, 20:36   #4
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 12:31
Well, here in Oz we have the legendary billabongs. They're remnants of rivers, without being lakes. Clearly what you saw was simply a very large billabong.
Old June 1, 2001, 00:19   #5
Chronus
Prince

Local Time: 10:31
"I also once saw a river that did not start or end in any lake."

Unfortunately, this happens to the Colorado river. It used to drain into the Gulf of California but the growing population out here in the West has stopped it in its tracks just a few miles from the Pacific blue.