Old May 31, 2001, 17:07   #1
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
MULTYPLAYER in CIV III
I'm starting this thread to let Firaxis know what we think multyplayer mode should look like.

MY first proposal is:

The game must have a built-in score system.
It may involve such additional options as surrender.
Basicly I'd like to see "a built-in game league".

another point, the game must create "fair" start conditions for each player. (ctp multiplayer outcome is mainly depands on starting location).

What do u think must Multyplayer look like?
Do u agree that "built-in score system" is a good feature?

Last edited by 007; May 31, 2001 at 19:37.
Old May 31, 2001, 19:36   #2
Chieftain

i guess another good thind would be if

the games would be hosted on Firaxis server rather than on user's comp.
right now there is never even 100 games that take place at the same moment. So hosting even 500 over the entire world shouldn't be a big deal.
So, when people crach, the game does not get lost or screwed as it usualy happens now.
Let say all players crash, the game reamains on server for enother hour or so, so the people can come back to play or just to comeback and save the game.

It also would be nice to be able to save games on the network (let say for a month) so it would be available to all particiapting players and would not take long to load (since it is hosted on the server)
Old May 31, 2001, 22:05   #3
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 06:31
good ideas. i think a built-in score system is a must, and only 'ladder' games should count, as in starcraft or something.

YEs, i also think that firaxis shuold host, but what are the chances of that?
Old June 1, 2001, 00:07   #4
Derfner
Settler

if firaxis hosted it would probably cost money to play, unless they're cool like blizzard is with b-net.

fair shmare, civ is all about being unequal. if you can't handle a little adversity you can go cry to you mommy about it.

i would like to see simultanious play, but i doubt that will happen.
Old June 1, 2001, 00:13   #5
Chieftain

it is not a news Dainbram. that Firaxis is monitoring Apolyton, so there is a big chance for them to get the idea. Besides we can propose to Mark to make a pole about "hosting".

Why would they do it?
1st : they want to make a good game Righ?
2 they'd need to dedicate some recources to the net anyway, so y not to make the most out of it.
3rd There more then likely will be a site reflecting the score. This site could generate some additional $ for mainteining the system. (i wouldn't mind it they place a banner or 2 there)
Old June 1, 2001, 00:15   #6
Chieftain

explain a bit mote about simultanious play
Old June 1, 2001, 00:24   #7
Derfner
Settler

like they had in smac. where each player played their turn at the same time. that way you don't have to wait for everyone else to play their turn before your's comes around. although you still have to wait for them to finsih their turn before you go on to the next round.

playing this way did seem to make smac crash alot though...
Old June 1, 2001, 00:41   #8
Chieftain

OK, o agree with u, but at least the turn could be split into 2 parts:

part 1 unit motion
part 2 domestic troubles

For example you finish your units - your enemy may start moving his, but he can't finish his turn untill u finish your citys.

This way players don't have to be afraid that thay won't have enough time to manage therir citys.
What happens now, is we would do units, then citys then press turn INSTEAD of doing units pressing end, doing citys.
Old June 1, 2001, 01:14   #9
imgod2u
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:31
I'd like to see mass multiplayer........
It'd be hard to work a concept in that would be fair, but it would be more realistic and actually make having a huge world make sense.
Old June 1, 2001, 01:27   #10
TechWins
King

Local Time: 03:31
I think the most of the time I spend waiting in multilplayer is because of the other person moblilizing his or her units for war or exploration. If the AI is smart enough there won't be that much time being taken up because of long moves across a continent or ocean, you'll just tell the AI where you want to move and they'll find the quickest route to that spot. Which Firaxis claimed in an earlier interview is possible now. So let's just hope for a smarter AI!!!
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.