Old May 31, 2001, 18:39   #1
Captain
King

Local Time: 05:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New way to win
Don't know if anyone has come up with a similar idea before, but since I noticed that the economic victory is out, how about adding a victory based on constructing ALL the wonders?

This should be pretty tough. I think this would appeal to perfectionist players most, but it would be an interesting goal since it keeps the suspense level of the game high throughout the entire game. Don't know if it should be that you built all of them, or just hold all of them. There should be a strong chance of having wonders destroyed or lost forever too, perhaps in the late game when cities are unlikely to be destroyed completely, if the combat model is good, you'll be forced to bombard cities, and there might be the chance of destroying the wonder.

anyone think that is feasible, or even desirable?
Old May 31, 2001, 18:41   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i don't think its possible to bogart all the wonders, but hell, if you manage it, you deserve to win.
Old May 31, 2001, 18:43   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i kinda liked the SMAC's "election" victory, is there something like that in civ 3?
Old May 31, 2001, 19:15   #4
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 06:31
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i don't think its possible to bogart all the wonders, but hell, if you manage it, you deserve to win.
I did it once ... on warlord though

ON the easiest level in ctp i actually managed to build every single wonder up to the point where i won in ONE CITY

its true!
Old May 31, 2001, 19:18   #5
dainbramaged13
King

you see i went on the ics strategy, with the exception of one city that i develop beyond all reason
Old May 31, 2001, 20:15   #6
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 10:31
aaaagggghhh!! How can you play on such easy levels. I just can'y play below very hard in CTP2 and I was winning most of the time on Deity in Civ2.

I like the idea though but it's very hard to get all of them. If you could capture them though then you could go do some serious bounty hunting but it's now very realistic. How many countries do you know have taken over countries just because they had the Hanging Gardens.
Old May 31, 2001, 21:49   #7
dainbramaged13
King

Quote:
How can you play on such easy levels
I just play them for fun sometimes to see how stupid the ai is.

they hardly ever even try to build wonders sometimes.
I only had to sabotage production of like, two wonders to accomplish those feats!

Quote:
How many countries do you know have taken over countries just because they had the Hanging Gardens.
Yes and how many countries do u see randomly taking over one city at a time and then making peace right afterwards every single turn? or for that matter taking over the whole world? or for that matter flying to ALPHA ****ING CENTAURI with some ss structurals, a couple of thrusters, and 3 modules?
well, civ isn't supposed to be a simulation of the real world? its gameplay and fun!
Old June 1, 2001, 08:19   #8
Jarouik
Warlord

Local Time: 12:31
I think that something along similar lines is already going to be implemented, if the idea of cultural victory is included in the game - not that I know it will be, though.

Cultural victory would mean that you would not be required to build every single wonder, but rather that you just are so successful in general as to have built enough improvements and wonders to get you far above any other nation in terms of culture points, perhaps meaning that the other nations' cities would join your civilization one by one due to your massive influence. I am not sure if Firaxis has mentioned this as a possibility, but probably I have heard the idea somewhere.

Requiring the player to build every single wonder would mean that one mistake in the beginning, the computer beating you to a single wonder, would rule out that way of victory irrevocably, so this would not necessarily make a fun game - in general, I feel it is not a good idea that a single unlucky event seals the fate of your whole game (although there are some such occurrences in Civ 2, sort of, e.g. if on Deity a computer manages to build Michelangelo's Chapel - but some players can survive even that). And on the other hand, if you only have to possess all of the wonders, this way of winning is nothing more than victory by conquest.