View Poll Results: Movie Clips In Civ 3?
No, all movie clips are bad 0 0%
Yes, but only for wonders 4 11.43%
Yes, but only for start and end 4 11.43%
Yes, movie clips are cool 27 77.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 1, 2001, 04:55   #1
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 20:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ 3 AVI Movies
I think the movie clips ctp2 added a bit more excitment to the game, should avi clips be added to civ 3? For example, at the start of the game, at the end (for each victory) and possibly for wonders.
Old June 1, 2001, 05:25   #2
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 13:32
Yes. But the CTP2 clips were completely dumb. SMAC had great movie clips and I hope that Civ3 will have something at least as good the the SMAC ones.

And i'm not talking only about the video quality, but about what they say in the clips. In SMAC you had the feeling that this is something smart and interesting, in CTP2 I just skipped them after the first time.
Old June 1, 2001, 06:15   #3
Zanzin
Prince

I think movie clips for wonders and start and end game will have to be in, if for nothing else to appeal to the masses, and have pretty graphics to put on the box.

They don't add much for the gnarled civ-vets around these forums, but for the average user, they appeal, and Firaxis would be silly to not have them. Anyhoo, they might as well fill up a whole CD of space!
Old June 1, 2001, 09:30   #4
ContradictioN

Firaxis has already said they won't be doing any movie clips for wonders, but you can be sure they will do it for the beginning and end.

I'll miss it though, they really brought so much life to Civ2, that I find it sad that so many people here just ignore the beauty of civilization and would prefer to act like diplomatic freaks - which always make the worst kind of leader.

Old June 1, 2001, 09:33   #5
ContradictioN

btw Eli, is Israel not the land of God? Isn't that star there the symbol of Satan?

Someone teach me

Old June 1, 2001, 09:42   #6
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 11:32
Quote:
Originally posted by ContradictioN
Firaxis has already said they won't be doing any movie clips for wonders, but you can be sure they will do it for the beginning and end.

I'll miss it though, they really brought so much life to Civ2, that I find it sad that so many people here just ignore the beauty of civilization and would prefer to act like diplomatic freaks - which always make the worst kind of leader.
Apparently they are substituting stand alone AVI movie with "straight on the map" animations.

They mentioned you can actually draw a Great Canal on map and see it, same with Great Wall.

Others, more "city related" Wonders will probably show built right on City view screen (remember Civ 1?), as the screenshots already showed us. May be we'll have some animation or "work in progress feel" during building, e.g. an half done Colossus if I check my city early.
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old June 1, 2001, 10:06   #7
senowen
Warlord

Local Time: 05:32
Quote:
Originally posted by ContradictioN
btw Eli, is Israel not the land of God? Isn't that star there the symbol of Satan?

Someone teach me
The symbol of 'Satan' is the pentagram, a five pointed star. Eli's avatar is the Star of David, a well known symbol of the Jewish people. As far as the origins of these symbols, I'm not exactly sure.
Old June 1, 2001, 10:45   #8
ContradictioN

well adm that sounds even better

and thanks sen

Old June 1, 2001, 12:42   #9
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 11:32
I don't know, I think they shouldn't focus too much on Movieclips

aTa
Old June 1, 2001, 15:01   #10
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 06:32
I don't know who you ultra-purists are, but the movie clips in civII added a lot to the atmosphere and historical feeling of the game. In SMAC the movie clips were even better. Who didn't enjoy hearing Chairman Yang calmly chat about the subjugation of the individual to the collective will? "Pain is simply information before the senses..."
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 1, 2001, 15:22   #11
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 10:32
Quote:
Originally posted by senowen

The symbol of 'Satan' is the pentagram, a five pointed star. Eli's avatar is the Star of David, a well known symbol of the Jewish people. As far as the origins of these symbols, I'm not exactly sure.
I can't wouch for the Star of David, but the Pentagram is originally a holy seal from the babylonian pagan religion. It's a stylised representation of their warrior godess. Naturally, like many holy symbols in babylonian warrior and earth godess religion (The horned god, the apple, the number 666), it was co-opted as a symbol of evil by the early christians.
Old June 1, 2001, 15:46   #12
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 12:32
Good movie clips can add a lot of atmosphere. Start and end movies, wonder movies and perhaps some for special events (e.g. when you defeat another civ, add something to the throne romm - or whatever they have in civ3 instead) would be nice.
Old June 1, 2001, 16:11   #13
senowen
Warlord

Local Time: 05:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Snapcase
I can't wouch for the Star of David, but the Pentagram is originally a holy seal from the babylonian pagan religion. It's a stylised representation of their warrior godess. Naturally, like many holy symbols in babylonian warrior and earth godess religion (The horned god, the apple, the number 666), it was co-opted as a symbol of evil by the early christians.
Thanks, Snapcase.
However, I thought these symbols are mentioned in the Old Testament, which would mean that the early followers of Yahweh would have co-opted them.
Old June 1, 2001, 16:16   #14
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 13:32
Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Who didn't enjoy hearing Chairman Yang calmly chat about the subjugation of the individual to the collective will? "Pain is simply information before the senses..."
LOL. When I think about SMAC the first thing I remember is this sentence.

ContradictionN - What senowen and Snapcase said.
Old June 1, 2001, 16:18   #15
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 18:32
what we need is a better compression format for these movies; they take up to much unnecessary space.

i agree with BeBro on movies adding atmosphere. in SMAC, those movies really added to my sense of being inside the game
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old June 1, 2001, 21:20   #16
Alex 14
Prince

Yeah, Firaxis would be better of creating 2 cd's for the game, one for installation, and one for gameplay. This way they can fit stuff like movie clips in easily.
Old June 1, 2001, 21:47   #17
Zanzin
Prince

Regardless of the wonder movies getting boring after you've seen them once or twice, I'd still like to see them included in the game.
Old June 1, 2001, 22:05   #18
Alex 14
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Zanzin
Regardless of the wonder movies getting boring after you've seen them once or twice, I'd still like to see them included in the game.
I believe Firaxis has announced that their will be no wonder movies, but maybee a patch might have a few... hopefully. They really like sticking with does renders!
Old June 1, 2001, 22:29   #19
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

a patch??!! i'm still not on broadband!! damned f*uckin* corrupted premier of ours.... can you believe it - RM40,000 a year for broadband, ISDN at that??

for conversion's sake, RM3.8 = USD$1
it's ridiculuos. even at singapore down north it's a a hudred something ringgit a month.

trying to build an IT society, but who except the elite can afford that price?
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old June 1, 2001, 23:51   #20
Seventh
Settler

Local Time: 10:32
What are you babbling about?

Hmmm... seems to me like some one's in "rant" rode.

PS, who's your "premier" {I have a high speed LAN connection, so I get about 100-126 KB/sec.
Old June 2, 2001, 00:18   #21
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Prime Minister Mahathir Mohammad

I don't know what he's up to, but he seems to be good friends with Fidel Castro who's 74. Mahathir is 75, and the longest reigning "elected" Head of State in Asia.

Well anyway, if they won't make Movies for wonders, I seriously doubt they'll release it in a patch, although our society is moving towards broadband, because not everyone will be able to afford it, or have the need for it.