Old June 1, 2001, 12:19   #1
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 07:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Idea regarding building of units/improvements/wonders
What would be great would be to have different ways to build units depending on your economy...

like, with communist economy, you can change the production of cities to produce what you want, but in a free-market economy, the city should be set to auto-build, but only improvements; wonders and units should have to be bought (on the cities, of course) with gold.

upkeep should be also be with gold, but the units would still have a home city, which would lose hapiness, and if it is destroyed or captured by other civ, the unit would lose veteran status...

Progressive Game ID #0023
Old June 1, 2001, 12:23   #2
Ralf
King

Local Time: 11:32
Re: _
Quote:
Originally posted by HsFB
like, with communist economy, you can change the production of cities to produce what you want, but in a free-market economy, the city should be set to auto-build...
I never use the auto-build feature, and I dont want it forced upon me in Civ-3.
Old June 1, 2001, 12:58   #3
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 06:32
Re: Re: _
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf

I never use the auto-build feature, and I dont want it forced upon me in Civ-3.

well i think the idea here is to make it a disadvantage of demo (capitalism) on the one hand my people are more productive, on the other hand they build a factory when THEY want to, NOT when my strategy demands it. If I am in position of Russia circa 1925, economic market forces will tend to steer capital toward agriculture - BUT the ruler wants heavy industry, because he is preparing for war. So he may want to go commie to industrialize "prematurely" despite overall economic loss. This reflects the real advantage that commie possesed historically (more so than spies or martial law) - yet it limits this advantage to particular times and strategies.

IF, with fundie gone, demo is over-balanced, this might be a good way to weaken demo and make commie more useful. OTOH, I agree it would be a pain and would not work unless demo has a very great economic edge.

LOTM
Old June 1, 2001, 14:07   #4
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 05:32
Maybe make the penalty for switching production vary according to government type, instead of 50% for all. For instance, communism loses 30%, demo -40%, fundy -50%. Or something along those lines.

I don't think the choice of what you build should be dictated or restricted, and I definitely don't want it chosen by autobuild (shudder).