Old May 13, 2000, 02:15   #1
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 22:37
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Sid Meyer Owes Me Two Triremes!
Boldly going where no Civ had gone before I sailed my first trireme out into the world...

Aproximatly 3 days journey from my capitol in the Carthaginians first trireme I spotted a small single space grassy island and admired the two whales and a grapes and a wheat available to any city there and the commanding position astride the only waterway between two dark landmasses. With my heart filled with dreams of a great city I sailed on and dispatching my horsemen I found some rather friendly nomads with an urge to travel. Loaded em up and with a gleam in my eye I left the horsemen to explore the great unknown while my trireme went back to found the great island city. I set my nomads on the island, built the city the following turn and move my trireme in to hold the place until the Phalanx unit they were building became operational. I hit the spacebar telling the trireme to finish the turn in the city and much to my concern it sank!

IT SANK I SAY!

Inside the city...or was it? I had moved it quickly...but could I have been so mistaken as to move it a space away from land?

So, not the reloading type after my phalanx I built a trireme in the city itself, never moved it, hit the spacebar...and it sank without ever having moved.

SANK WITHOUT EVER HAVING MOVED I SAY!

So, Sid, next time we play, you build me and gift me two triremes and I'll call it even.

Until then, nuf said!

Old May 13, 2000, 03:16   #2
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 16:37
Lancer:

**bear hug in soulfull understanding** Personally, I'm still recovering from making the mistake of trying to help an AI civilization earlier tonight. Suffice to say, I ended up having to play God and destroyed Earth.

CYBERAmazon
Old May 13, 2000, 03:53   #3
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:37
put the trireme to "sleep" inside the city and it won't sink.
Old May 13, 2000, 09:09   #4
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 17:37
Yeah Lancer... It is a design flaw. The program looks around the ship and sees if there is any land. Since it is a one square island, the ship technically isn't touching a square that has land next to it.
Just another Civ Bug...

As suggested, putting the ship to sleep works, for some strange reason.
Old May 13, 2000, 11:31   #5
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Seems like a cheat in the making here Ming and Smash...and no I don't.

So does it work to move your trireme 2 spaces, sleep, 2 & sleep etc until you cross the widest oceans of the world?

Terrible thought...

Anyway, CyberAmazon, -sniff- my AI allies have set up in the midst of my civ and are using my coal! What's worse, that Cloepatra is SUCH a BABE and I just can't attack...

...but I must.
Old May 13, 2000, 17:00   #6
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 18:37
Lance, it doesn't work to make them sleep in the middle of the ocean. IIRC a ship with coastal on it told to sleep will give you the message "That function cannot be performed here".
Old May 13, 2000, 19:28   #7
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

quote:

Originally posted by Lancer on 05-13-2000 11:31 AM
Anyway, CyberAmazon, -sniff- my AI allies have set up in the midst of my civ and are using my coal! What's worse, that Cloepatra is SUCH a BABE and I just can't attack...

...but I must.

Lancer:

Yah, don't let looks keep you from destroying a feared rival . Personally, I have the same problem with Dido of the Carthaginians and Hippolyta of the Amazons (former Greeks ). Then I realized they were just paintings transferred into a strategy game and started "reducing" them whenever possible. **L**

CYBERAmazon

------------------
Resistance is futile. Lower your shields and disable your weapons. You will be assimilated into the Borg Collective.
Old May 14, 2000, 00:10   #8
Venger
King

Yep, Ming's right, bug city. The game is rife with them. I am unsure if they managed to patch this one in ToT. I may check...hold on...

Looks like they fixed it. I started a game, went cheat mode, and plopped a city on an island. I created a ton of triremes. Some I just ended the turn with the space bar, some I moved out and back in, ending the turn in the city...didn't lose a single one for a dozen turns.

Another reason to get ToT...

Venger
P.S. By the by, in this map i found the freaking motherlode of islands, two whales, two fish...
Old May 14, 2000, 21:11   #9
Lancer
Deity

Mao thanks! I'd forgotten to test it.

CA, fine advice, a feared opponent you must be!

Go in and win everyone!

(but try not to take a trireme in)
Old May 16, 2000, 06:33   #10
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Aha - another victim of the Sinking Trireme Syndrome!
See OCC fortnight #5?
[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited May 16, 2000).]
Old May 17, 2000, 19:41   #11
Lancer
Deity

If it's anything like sinking thread syndrome I'm very familiar...
Old May 17, 2000, 21:54   #12
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 18:37
Aaah, the days back when I had the diplomacy screen toggled on... Man, the Viking and Zulu emissaries were so attractive... Heh.

------------------
St. Leo
http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
Old May 18, 2000, 11:08   #13
Thue
Freeciv Developer

Local Time: 00:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
That bug was in freeciv too. Here is the function at fault: www.freeciv.org/lxr/source/common/map.c#199
(it is corrected, and we didn't have to wait for microprose to do it.)
[This message has been edited by Thue (edited May 18, 2000).]
Old May 18, 2000, 14:19   #14
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Thue, Lancer:

What OS does FreeCiv work on, if not Windows? Macintosh platform (hopeful grin here)?

CYBERAmazon
Old May 18, 2000, 15:27   #15
Thue
Freeciv Developer

quote:

Originally posted by Lancer on 05-18-2000 12:43 PM
Thue, I would really like to play FreeCiv and I will when it's made to load easily so that folks like myself can just download it and play it. That means windows, the system that most folks use. Also means making it doable by guys like me. You do that, and I'll be playing and posting like crazy over in your forum. As it is I can download an old version of FreeCiv, if I can figure out how to set it up. No thanks on both counts...

You need the masses to make your forum important, make you game accepted, for that you need mass appeal. That means windows.

Freeciv is widely respected... among linux users. And since there is a nice amount of linux users there is already a nice amount of freeciv players. We do have mass appeal
My plot would rather be to make the freeciv AI even better so you would have even more reason to switch to linux. Beats making a windows port :P

quote:

Thue, Lancer:
What OS does FreeCiv work on, if not Windows? Macintosh platform (hopeful grin here)?

CYBERAmazon

GNU/Linux
OpenBSD
NetBSD
FreeBSD
BSDI 4
Amiga
MS Windows 95/98/NT (requires an X server)
Sun Solaris
SunOS
SGI Irix
IBM OS/2
IBM AIX
HP HP-UX

BeOS port in the works. There was talk of native macintosh port at a time, but it newer came. (But you can install linux on your MAC and it will work ).
[This message has been edited by Thue (edited May 19, 2000).]
Old May 18, 2000, 15:37   #16
Thue
Freeciv Developer

It's actually a bit funny; now that I know the freeciv code I often know excactly what the makers of payciv did wrong when they have a bug
Old May 19, 2000, 00:43   #17
Lancer
Deity

Thue, I would really like to play FreeCiv and I will when it's made to load easily so that folks like myself can just download it and play it. That means windows, the system that most folks use. Also means making it doable by guys like me. You do that, and I'll be playing and posting like crazy over in your forum. As it is I can download an old version of FreeCiv, if I can figure out how to set it up. No thanks on both counts...

You need the masses to make your forum important, make you game accepted, for that you need mass appeal. That means windows.
Old May 19, 2000, 02:50   #18
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Thue:

Thanks for the information — but I'm afraid I'll have to stick with the standard Civ II and Civ II Gold MPE. Besides, I've really customized the RULES.TXT and CITIES.TXT files to the point where AI cheats are bearable (becuase I've fixed stuff elsewhere).

CYBERAmazon