Old June 2, 2001, 18:47   #1
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 19:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Succession Game - Anatolia
Ta Da!!!!
I'm back. It took about a week for my Internet company to get out to my house (in the middle of nowhere) and then I had a problem with my Apolyton account. Dan explained that a problem formed with my account during the switch from the old forums to the new forums.
If people are still interested in the succession game I'd like to start it. In fact, I've already done my 20 turns. Here is the list of people who said they were interested:
-Anatolia
-East Street Trader
-Marquis de Sodaq
-El Hogfather
-MBloom III
-crowatbitemedotcom
-Caligastia

I guess this is enough. Here are the game parameters:
King level - 7 civs - Raging hordes - bloodlust. We are the Persians and the leader name is Darius.
What do you think about attaching the .sav file at the end of our game 'journal' that we post here after our turn? Then everyone can see for themselves what happened during each players' turn.
Good luck and e-mail me if you can't participate for some reason.
Old June 2, 2001, 19:25   #2
marcuspeddle
Emperor

Turn 1 - Anatolia
4000 BCE - A number of peoples, tired of their namadic ways, decide to join together under the leadership of Anatolia and call him 'Darius' (translated into Greek means 'Doer of Deeds'). They travel for many years trying to find good land to build a city.

3950 BCE - After finding arable land near the coast they found the city of Persepolis. After construction the people decide the king needs a place where he can hold court. They build him a throne room where he can receive the people. Anatolia Darius forms a committee and commands them to create a system of writing so the people can set down their thoughts and the laws of the land might be written down for future generations.

3900 BCE - The people pool their resources and improve the King's throne room.

3850 BCE - The people are happy under the peaceful rule of Anatolia Darius and add some luxuries to the throne room.

3800 - 3500 BCE - These are peaceful years and the only unusual thing to be noticed is Anatolia Darius' unusually long lifespan. A cult forms claiming Darius is a god.

3450 BCE - After many long years the wise men of Persepolis create a writing system they call 'The Alphabet'. Smutty books and the first laws are written down. The first law reads, "Thou shalt not scratch graffitti into the palace walls." The wise men then turn their attention to devising a way the geography of the land can be drawn like a picture on clay tablets. Anatolia Darius is content with the peacefulness of his small kingdom but starts to worry that other peoples might invade. He trains some men and forms the first phalanx unit.

3400 BCE - The population of the city has doubled, thus allowing for more food and resources collection. Anatolia Darius decides he should expand his kingdom by sending settlers to found a colony. Not many people are willing to leave Persepolis, however, and it will probably be some time before enough people and resources can be gathered and sent out.

3350 - 3050 BCE - The people continue to live peacefully but not so Anatolia Darius. About 1000 years after founding his empire he becomes afflicted with wanderlust. He addresses the people telling them to choose a new king and he sets off into the wilderness . . .

Well, not much happened. East Street Trader, can you take over the kingdom? Here is the save file. If you can't open it from here for some reason I'll e-mail it to you.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav together.sav (133.7 KB, 8 views)
Old June 4, 2001, 00:08   #3
MBloomIII
Prince

Local Time: 05:34
Welcome back Anatolia!

So the game finally begins. I take it we will be going in the order listed unless stated otherwise? Can't wait.
Old June 4, 2001, 07:05   #4
marcuspeddle
Emperor

order
Yes, that's the order in which people replied to my original post a few weeks ago. I noticed the .sav file has been downloaded so I hope that East Street Trader is going through his turn and we get to see his turn description in a day or two. I'm looking forward to my turn coming around again!
Old June 4, 2001, 10:19   #5
East Street Trader
Prince

Local Time: 10:34
Have the save safely and will play this evening (4 June), post to-morrow all being well.

I see that the reign of the benign Anatolia Darius has left the people fat and contented. Will their sylvan bliss continue or will the next millenium - and the rule of Trader Darius - bring upheavals?
Old June 4, 2001, 15:47   #6
Ben E Gas
Settler

Is it too late to join the list?

I'd like to take a few turns when the time comes.

thanks,
Ben
Old June 5, 2001, 08:29   #7
Ben E Gas
Settler

Hello,

Is this game still going on? Can I get in on it?

Sounds like it would be fun. Good luck, either way.

Thanks,
Ben
Old June 5, 2001, 09:11   #8
marcuspeddle
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben E Gas
Hello,

Is this game still going on? Can I get in on it?
I guess it would be okay. The new list, then, is

-Anatolia
-East Street Trader
-Marquis de Sodaq
-El Hogfather
-MBloom III
-crowatbitemedotcom
-Caligastia
-Ben E Gas

Looking forward to your king's journal, Trader Darius.
Old June 5, 2001, 09:18   #9
Ben E Gas
Settler

OK! Thanks for letting me in. I will not let our people down. So, right now, Easy Street Trader is the one who has the game and is playing right? We just wait for him to finish the load the game to our computers?

How much time do we each have with the game?

Thanks,
Ben
Old June 5, 2001, 09:33   #10
marcuspeddle
Emperor

Hi Ben

We're taking 20 turns each. When you get the .sav file from the person ahead of you (he might post it in this forum like I did) play the game for 20 turns, write up a story of what happened during your time as leader (be imaginative!), and then save the game and post it for the next person.
Good luck when your turn comes around
Old June 5, 2001, 16:54   #11
marcuspeddle
Emperor

Game Version
Hi everyone,

Something I didn't do in this thread was say which version of CivII I'm using. I think I did it in my original post a few weeks ago but forgot to carry that information over.
Anyway, I checked the credits on my CD and it says Multiplayer Gold Edition. I'm not sure if there are different versions of MGE but I'm using the game as it is on the CD and I haven't installed any patches. I hope everyone can still play.
Old June 6, 2001, 05:55   #12
Ben E Gas
Settler

I'm not sure if I can. I have only the original civ2.

Can the files transfer over?
Old June 12, 2001, 01:40   #13
MBloomIII
Prince

{knock} {knock} {knock}

Anybody home?

{knock} {knock}

Hello!?
Old June 12, 2001, 16:54   #14
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 04:34
3050 bc - A new despot, the Marquis of Darius, assumes leadership of the Persians. The realm is small, and the economy is nonexistent, causing the Marquis some concern. He decides the Persians need to expand to become a great people.

3000 bc - The Marquis orders the workers to new tasks, and the first gold is added to the Persian coffers. Our brave phalanx is sent off to explore.

2800 bc - The phalanx stumbles upon an advanced tribe called Pasargadae. They join the Persian realm, and began equipping a warrior to increase our might.

In the following centuries, the phalanx and warrior explore the world, and settlers build the first roads. Persia lies on the northwest side of a continent. We may be alone, as there has been no contact with outsiders. Well, almost. A mysterius press release for some unknown historian's book arrived in the mail. The review listed the Persians as "pathetic." The Marquis was not impressed with this, and steeled his resolve to improve the Persian state. He came up with the "Edict of the Marquis", the world's first code of laws. Being a geographer at heart, he formulated a way to make maps of the expanding Persian realm. He and the wise men decide a strong central leadership will be needed in order to become mighty. They begin scheming ways to create a monarchy.

2100 bc - Settlers found Susa on the coast southwest of the wheatfields which lie southwest of Persopolis.

2050 bc - The Marquis is pleased with the progress of the Persians under his direction. Settlers are seeking a new city site to the east. The navy's first ship, the trireme H.M.S. Marquis, is almost completed. The economy is growing. Time rolls on, and new leadership can bring good things. So the Marquis of Darius steps down as leader of the Persians and returns to the marches of Paha Sapa.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav together.sav (135.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Marquis de Sodaq; June 12, 2001 at 21:29.
Old June 12, 2001, 18:18   #15
marcuspeddle
Emperor

New List
Thanks for taking the initiative Marquis de Sodaq. I contacted everyone on the list by private message and it turns out a couple of people can't play because they don't have MGE The list now looks like this:

Anatolia
Marquis de Sodaq
MBloomIII
El Hogfather ? (no contact yet)
crowatbitemedotcom ? (no contact yet)

Any other takers?
Old June 14, 2001, 16:07   #16
MBloomIII
Prince

2000 BC - Stately, plump MBloom stares upon his newly inherited kingdom and thinks to himself. Expand. I need a home for all my concubines!

1950 BC - Christens newly built trireme: Sunbloom I. Sends out ship with a hearty group of Warriors and commands them to explore the land visible beyond the coast to the North.

1900 BC - Ship sends word that they have found an area rich with fish just off the coast near Pasagardae. Later word comes that to the north of this area is an area rich with whales! Sending an entire Phalanx to join the Warriors in their exploration.

1850 BC - Word arrives that our band of warriors has made landfall in a forest full of exotic birds they have dubbed Pheasants. Claim they make good eats.

1800 BC - A newly arrived concubine arrives and after much ummm, inspection, is deemed worthy of service.

1750 BC - Warriors report they have exited the forest and have spotted another area rich with Whales off the Northern coast of this newly discovered land. The Sunbloom I sends word that the Phalanx has come aboard and they shall be off soon.

1700 BC - The citizens are calling for a peaceful revolution to anoint MBloom as their king. A period of celebration is called for.

1650 BC - I am now Shah MBloom of our new Monarchy. I have instructed our scientist to discover Writing..

1600 BC - The city of Susa reports that they have successfully trained a Phalanx and shall now gather a group of subjects together to try to settle another part of our glorious kingdom.

1550 BC - The Warriors send word that the land they have discovered is only a small island but should be worthy of a fiefdom.

1500 BC - The Sunbloom I reports it is heading to the newly discovered island to collect the band of Warriors.

1450 BC - The Settlers who departed the city of Persopolis some years ago send word they have founded the city of Arbela in honor of my third favorite concubine. Word comes that the Warriors are safely aboard Sunbloom I.

1400 BC - Slept through the staff meeting. I hope nothing important happened. Memo to self: Only 2 concubines per night. 5 is too tiring.

1350 BC - A second ship is completed in Pasagardae. I guess they missed that memo to gather a band of Settlers. (When will those damn scientists complete Writing.) We shall christen this ship the Brilliant Mistake after the song of our court jester Elvis Costello. The ship is being sent to the city of Susa and have reported spotting a whale colony Southeast of the city of Pasagardae.

1300 BC - The Phalanx from the city of Susa report they have found a band of nomads wondering through the swamps North of the city. I have sent word that they shall report to capital to begin linking our cities with roads.

1250 BC - A second group of Settlers is sent from Persopolis to explore the Eastern realm and possibly begin another city.

1200 BC - Word comes from Sunbloom I that another land mass has been spotted East of the city of Susa. They shall begin exploring soon.

1150 BC - The scientists have sent a written memo that they have completed their research into Writing. A one-word response is returned. Duh! The scientists report they will begin work on Literacy to expand my vocabulary.

1100 BC - The Brilliant Mistake has discovered land to the Southwest of Susa and will be trying to intercept part of the crew of Sunbloom I to begin exploring.

1050 BC - The Brilliant Mistake has reported they have our Phalanx aboard and are heading towards this new land. Susa reports they have a group together that is willing to Settle another area of our great realm.

At this time I must step aside as the affairs of state are taking too much time away from the, ahh, affairs of state.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav da_b1000.sav (136.1 KB, 7 views)
Old June 15, 2001, 19:25   #17
marcuspeddle
Emperor

And Then There Were Three . . .
Well, it looks like there are only three of us in this succession game. I haven't heard from the others so I'll take my turn again.
Old June 15, 2001, 20:44   #18
marcuspeddle
Emperor

Age of Exploration
While Shah Darius spends his retirement having affairs with daughters of the state, the people grow worried. Who will lead their them? Then, one day, a man enters the capital and reveals that he is Anatolia Darius returned from Taoist studies that lengthened his life. All the people except the royal coffin makers rejoice.

1000 BCE - Triremes explore the land mass to the west. Part of the population of Susa find the common person a little lowbrow so they set off to found a colony on the north-eastern tip of the island. In response to their snooty brethren's departure the people of Susa commission a library. More roads are built in the kingdom. Ten pony pile-up near the capital. Arbel is fortified with phalanx and some settlers get lost in the jungle (read 'accidental mouse click'). Warriors continue exploration of the land mass south of Persia Island.

975 BCE - Anatolia Darius decides he wants other islands settled so calls for the return of a ship to transport settlers.

950 BCE - Warriors discover a tribe of people where warriors ride onthe back of an animal they call 'horse'. A group of these mounted warriors join our people. We should learn this skill.

925 BCE - Pasargadae builds settlers. The people decide to build a library, not wanting to be outdone by the idiots in Susa. More road construction. First roadhouse built. Persopelis also decides to construct a library.

900 BCE - The people of Pasargadae start using a farming technique called irrigation.

875 BCE - Our horsemen discover a small village. The locals teach him about money. The horsemen are so excited they steal all the villagers' money and the chief's daughter.

850 BCE - More exploring. Warriors discover a small village where they steal 50 gold.

825 BCE - The governor of Arbela decide they have enough defensive forces so they start work on a marketplace so they can get rich.

800 BCE - Soldiers find a village on the western island where warriors ride elephants! Some of these elephant riders are pressed into the service of our army.

775 BCE - Another island (?) discovered to the south. More land sighted to the north. Barbarian ship sighted off the coast of Susa.

750 BCE - Barbarians anchor off the coast!

725 BCE - We discover literacy! We decide to bend our energies to learning the southern trick of riding horses to make war. Antioch founded. Barbarians come ashore near Susa! The barbarians have the ability to shoot sticks using a piece of string stretched between two points of a bent stick. Although they have the ability to fight from a distance our phalanx defeat them with almost no effort.

700 - 625 BCE - exploration

600 BCE - People of Susa decide that instead of just a library they want a great library.

575 - 525 BCE - more exploration. Many sites suitable for colonisation are found but we can't yet decide which one is the best. Close is good but where? Do we want arable land, forest for wood and resources, or hills where we can mine for precious minerals?

500 BCE - Settlers find a village that turns out to be quite advanced. The city name is Tarsus. After interacting with the natives we find their customs and language are very similar to ours. It is possible that we have common ancestors. They decide to join the Persian Empire. Anatolia Darius is so fascinated with the history and folklore of these new people that he gives up governing the empire and devotes his time to studying in Tarsus. He orders a house built near the sea and retires.

Next!
Attached Files:
File Type: sav success.sav (136.1 KB, 4 views)
Old June 16, 2001, 13:20   #19
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 07:34
Sorry, I intended to reply, but I forgot. I don't have enough time, thanks though.
Old June 16, 2001, 14:44   #20
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Anatolia, the save game you posted (success.sav) is left at 1000bc! I hope you saved your play thru 500bc. If so, please attach the new save to your post, and I'll take over. Otherwise, you may need to rewrite history...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old June 16, 2001, 20:08   #21
marcuspeddle
Emperor

Oops . . .
Sorry,
I don't know why I uploaded that file. I must have been sleeping or something. Here is the current file.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav 500bc.sav (137.2 KB, 4 views)
Old June 16, 2001, 23:54   #22
Marquis de Sodaq
King

500bc - Markee Dar Sodak I crowned Shah of the Kingdom of Persia. He is pleased with the state of the kingdom - The people of fat and contented, and the future looks bright. He wishes to advance his subjects, and decides to encourage learning.

475bc - Phalanx disembarks to occupy a future city site on the island west of Persia. The elephant will be brought home to check unrest. The colossus begun in Persopolis. Wonder production in Susa has also been changed to the colossus.

375bc - Settlers set out to meet the phalanx scouting to the west. Marketplaces and libraries are built. The people rejoice at their unparalleled standard of living.

275bc - Trireme exploring to the northwest finds a hut and will return to pick up the phalanx. With all these islands, the navy petitions for a new ship. The Shah decrees that one should be built in Tarsus.

250bc - Gordium settled at site with good whaling, 2 pheasant rich forests, and spices. The food is so plentiful here, the city immediately begins organizing new groups of settlers to improve the land and form a sister city somewhere. The wise men discover Masonry. Shah Dar Sodak IV decides the Persians should develop a method of trading goods in order to increase the wealth and learning - and to speed up the construction of those blasted wonders. Antioch begins training a diplomat to explore and possibly make contact with other peoples.

175bc - Phalanx finds old scrolls in the northwestern village. They teach the secrets of mathematics! This will be a key to developing astronomy, the Shah realizes. If we could build an observatory, none could match our wisdom...

150bc - Bactra is settled to the east of Tarsus. The seas here are rich in fish and whales, and buffalo herds roam the plains nearby.

100bc - More islands and huts are discovered to the northeast. The trireme turns back to Antioch for the diplomat's annointment. There are now more than a half million subjects in the kingdom! The prettiest young ladies from each city are sent to the palace for celebrations.

75bc - Persian wise men discover trade. More camels need to be bred to carry caravans to the cities. Shah Dar Sodak VIII decides the wise men need to formulate a new mysticism, that there will then be wisdom enough to unlock the secrets of the stars.

50bc - The royal mail delivers another promotion for another unknown historian's book. In this review, the Persians are named as the most learned peoples in the world! The Shah feels proud that his subjects have proven so learned and innovative.

1ad - Shah Markee Dar Sodak XI passes away without any legitimate heirs. The people think about mourning for a while, but decide that life in Persia is just too good to be sad. They erect a statue in the palace square to commemorate the fabled Dar Sodak dynasty, write some complimentary books about them, then go back to their contented lives.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav 1ad.sav (138.1 KB, 6 views)

intelligence to few.
Old June 17, 2001, 07:29   #23
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 20:34
wow this sounds like a cool way to play can i join in?

I have MPGE edition
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old June 17, 2001, 08:49   #24
marcuspeddle
Emperor

If it's okay with the other two players I'm okay with it. I guess you would have to take your turn after MBloomIII.
Old June 17, 2001, 10:31   #25
Marquis de Sodaq
King

I welcome Rasputin to the game.

On a side note, are we going to shorten our turns to 10 game turns later on - at 1750 or so? The empire should be big by then, so there will be more to do. Anatolia, you decide if/when...

intelligence to few.
Old June 17, 2001, 10:31   #26
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Cool
sounds good to me... will check back later to see
Old June 17, 2001, 12:13   #27
marcuspeddle
Emperor

Okay, I guess Rasputin is in. Welcome!
Changing to 10 turns around 1750 sounds fine to me. This is my first succession game so I don't really know the ins and outs yet.
Old June 17, 2001, 13:34   #28
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Well this will be my first one too, hope i dont disappoint

what is the usual time frame for each session, like when do you guys usually play your turns and then post the game here, ??
Old June 17, 2001, 16:27   #29
crowatbitemedotcom
Prince

Hello,

Sorry I'm so late

Is it too late to join in? If not, please email me.

Thanks.

Crow
Old June 18, 2001, 12:43   #30
MBloomIII
Prince

I need to skip my turn this week as we are painting the house. Whoever is up next go ahead and I'll play my turn next time it rolls back around.

Anatolia, with the new people signing up can you post an updated play list?