Old June 12, 2001, 11:17   #61
Kuja
Warlord

Local Time: 10:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
yes, i have played such games and i must say they are a complete waste of time. they are probably the most lobsided game you can think up. you guys fool yourselves into thinking it's the only way to play, when it is merely a race to the happy wonders and whoever doesn't get them automatically loses (or should at least if you have any skill)
Old June 12, 2001, 11:40   #62
drake
King

Local Time: 06:35
I think if we had it eyes way it would be renamed the ADD tournament.
Old June 12, 2001, 13:12   #63
SmartFart
Civilization II MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 12:35
I've won games without any happy wonders and lost some with both MC and JSB.
This is pointless. If I follow your logic,I can say whoever wins the race for war wonders wins on king x2x2,game which boring me to death.
Drop it,man. I am not here to argue. Just wanted to correct your statement about deity games which lasts 2 months.
Old June 12, 2001, 13:37   #64
drake
King

A bit off topic, but what the heck is your avatar smart fart? It looks like a steaming pile of crap
Old June 12, 2001, 13:48   #65
Kuja
Warlord

well you are right, if you only get happy wonders and your opponent gets all the others, you will lose. but my point was that in a deity game on 1x1x, the happy wonders throw the whole balance of the game out the window. at least on 2x2x there is no wonder that can do that except for maybe leos.
Old June 12, 2001, 16:00   #66
SmartFart
King

Quote:
Originally posted by drake
A bit off topic, but what the heck is your avatar smart fart? It looks like a steaming pile of crap
lol@Drake

It's a demon boil of mindworms from SMAC.
Old June 12, 2001, 17:26   #67
Eyes_Of_Night
King

Local Time: 05:35
Drake if I get MC, JB, and HG on Deity, you will get your ass kicked. I'll give you every single other wonder even. You can have all three of those on King and you still might not win. Just as you can have leos and Sun Tzu and you're still not going to win. Ever wonder why there are so many good 1x1x players and so very few great 2x2x players?
Old June 12, 2001, 17:29   #68
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:35
I sure hope you have a sense of humor buried under all that amazing megalomania.
And I thought I was the most pompous ass around here!

What is this infatuation with "my Civ is bigger than yours"?

Bizarre.
never neglectful, never indulgent.
Old June 12, 2001, 18:16   #69
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

melancholy
Quote:
Hi Robert. Long time no see. Cavebear,please put this guy on the list.
I haven't seen you online perhaps a year or something. Did you changed your ICQ#?
If you haven't played all this time you'll be surprised how many new tricks and strategies are developed.
See you in the tourney.
Last times I tried to play, for some reason I couldn't get a good working game for weeks, every time I played one or two sessions and then the other people didn't show up anymore. And then one diplo alike kind of game seemed to work, but after a few good sessions it failed again and I kinda got frustrated about it.

And I became a freelancer thus didn't got much time anymore to play. In fact I'm still a freelancer, but I think I'll be able to play fridays and saturday night again.

My ICQ is still the same, I didn't use it for months, but I've re-installed it to be completely ready for civ-games again ! 5460666 (still know it by heart )

Yeah, I found out that you guys discovered how to play simultaniously ! Great job ! Pherhaps I need to practice a little before the real tourney starts. Of course there are new tricks, but civing is like biking, if you ever learned it you'll never forget it. It's now about 8 years ago that I learned how to civ thus......

Oh, I have to admit that I've played much CTP II as well, but for some reason (much) I don't like it as much as I love Civ. (in fact I came back here because of the civ III thingy)

And yes, I hope I can see you in the tourney !
If I'm correct I've played with cavebear a few games months ago, and kinda introduced him in the apolyton community (helped him how to register on this board) but I'm not sure, can you confirm cavebear ?

and uh..... the longer the game lasts, the better, deity 1x1x
And of course above all the diplo game ! Months after months with the same crew of people every weekend twice ! Heck, will we ever play a game like the legendary eurodip game ?

CyberShy

(You STILL remember my real name, Robert !! That's really awesome !)

Edit: removed tons of typo's and idiot spelling mistakes that would've really made me even more look silly
Old June 13, 2001, 08:33   #70
drake
King

Quote:
Ever wonder why there are so many good 1x1x players and so very few great 2x2x players?
Umm....no I never really thought about that.......

Quote:
Drake if I get MC, JB, and HG on Deity, you will get your ass kicked.
I just recently finished a deity diplo game in which I had no happiness wonders and still ended up winning the game in manys opinions. If one is patient and resourceful, great things can be achieved.

Cybershy, your interest in a diplo game is refreshing in contrast to all the other bs that has been going on around here lately.
Old June 13, 2001, 09:43   #71
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by EyesOfNight
Drake if I get MC, JB, and HG on Deity, you will get your ass kicked. I'll give you every single other wonder even. You can have all three of those on King and you still might not win. Just as you can have leos and Sun Tzu and you're still not going to win. Ever wonder why there are so many good 1x1x players and so very few great 2x2x players?
Ok. I'll take Leo's, Adam Smith, and Hoover's Dam.
THe 2x great vs. 1x is opinion also.
Old June 13, 2001, 12:19   #72
StrategicKing2
Chieftain

Finally, I agree with eyes on something. 1 x 1 deity is a talent restrictor. Anybody with no life and nothing else to do can play it. Kuja is also partially right, it is a race to happy wonders. It is mind numbning, suicide provoking, coma inducingly boring.
Ill play in this tournament . Ill play 2 x 2 king...Any others, just give me a lose.
Also, since i have a 15 year history of playing tournaments all around the country, from Michcon gamefest to many out of state and national events in my board gaming past, We had problems finishing off games in the limited amount of time we had. Thus, the game master would institute the adjutacation rule, where he, or a panal of officials would decide the winner and state the reason for it.
I will not participate in powergraph games. I have seen so many idiotic supreme allocations when a blind retard could tell that the player who was supreme was an easy loser.
Old June 13, 2001, 12:47   #73
drake
King

damn, eyes is right.

eyes is obnoxious, but atleast he's smart and obnoxious.

This strategic retard is not only obnoxious, he's dumb and obnoxious.

It's actually kind of sad
Old June 13, 2001, 21:38   #74
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Re: melancholy
Quote:
Originally posted by CyberShy

And yes, I hope I can see you in the tourney !
If I'm correct I've played with cavebear a few games months ago, and kinda introduced him in the apolyton community (helped him how to register on this board) but I'm not sure, can you confirm cavebear ?
Confirmed. As I recall, you, Wonderdog, and War4Ever helped me back in 1999 when I first showed up. Among you, you all helped me figure out how MP worked, played practice games with me, and gave me a lot of good basic pointers to get me started. If I didn't say so then, a belated thanks...
Old June 13, 2001, 22:24   #75
cavebear
Emperor

Tourney Structure
Please understand that there are wildly varying preferences among players and that my only purpose in this is to arrive at some generally-agreed-upon top player(s). Nothing I plan will be to everyones' liking.

I propose the following: 2 MP rounds, followed by a Duel round, followed by an MP round. If required to settle the final scores, a last Duel round. MP rounds will be of 4 players each game to the extent possible.

In the 1st MP round, the last-place player in each game will be eliminated from the tourney. Basic settings will be King and 1x1x, no city or unit bribes, wandering barbs.

In the 2nd MP round, the last-place player in each game will be eliminated from the tourney. Basic settings will be Deity and 2x1x, no city bribes, raging barbs.

No one will be eliminated after that.

In the 1st Duel round, settings can be agreed-upon by the players but the default (in case of disagreement) will be King and 1x1x, no bribe restrictions, village barbs,

In the 3rd MP round, settings will be 2x2x, Deity, no city bribes, raging barbs.

I will provide the maps to be used.

That's about as fair as I can make it. (Bracing myself for a flurry of objections)
Old June 13, 2001, 23:55   #76
SmartFart
King

I believe there is one or two king x2 tournaments every month on Gameleague. At least,that was the case 7-8 months ago when I went there last time.

As I said before,if deity x2x1 or x1x1,I'll be glad to participate. Otherwise I'll give it a miss.

Good luck everyone.

SF
Old June 14, 2001, 01:47   #77
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Call League Frog. It croaked.
Old June 14, 2001, 02:01   #78
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 20:35
A job well done
Well done Cavebear, that format seems very fair and well thought out, the best players will be able to adapt to the different settings and those who are not as good will struggle when settings do not suit there particular style.

May all those who get to play enjoy the challenge and acknowledge the effort you are going to.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old June 14, 2001, 06:26   #79
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

just so that people remeber this is not a comp for the greatest player anywhere in the world, the settings used are predominatly used by apolytoners which is as it should be, this is our forum , if you dont like it go back to your own forums !!
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old June 14, 2001, 09:26   #80
UpInFlames
Warlord

Can any1 play in this?
Old June 14, 2001, 10:22   #81
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:35
please no civ arcade (x2x2)
Quote:
Originally posted by SmartFart
I believe there is one or two king x2 tournaments every month on Gameleague. At least,that was the case 7-8 months ago when I went there last time.

As I said before,if deity x2x1 or x1x1,I'll be glad to participate. Otherwise I'll give it a miss.

Good luck everyone.

SF
I am in the same boat as Smartfart...... i was hoping this was a best Apolytoners tourney...... ie most of us here play deity x2x1 or x1x1.

Really not interested in playing arcade civ however i do appreciate Cavebear's attempt to incorporate as many styles as possible
Old June 14, 2001, 15:33   #82
StrategicKing2
Chieftain

Well, then guess ill have more time to take my dogs to the lake or play golf. Ill take a pass on this so called tourney since 2 x 2 king was ignored. Its not because I cant adapt. Its because its mind numbingly, suicide provoking, coma inducingly BORING....to play deity or 1 move or 1 production.....I for one, wont lose any sleep over it as I am sure neither will you....I just once, any of you would grow some grapefruits and play a truelly skilled 2 x 2 king game......wannabies
Old June 14, 2001, 16:18   #83
SmartFart
King

Quote:
Originally posted by StrategicKing2
Blah blah blah. Blah blahis-d-blah blah. Yack yack yackette yack. Odada odablaa
I agree
Old June 15, 2001, 03:58   #84
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 22:35
Quote:
Originally posted by SmartFart

lol@Drake

It's a demon boil of mindworms from SMAC.
Well, with a handle like Smartfart and an avator like that.....

BTW I think cavebears setup sounds good.

We should all just go with the flow and give it a shot. There's only one 2x2x and if that doesn't lure stratking and eyes then they are full of it - that stuff in Smartfarts thingy!

This will sort out the serious contestants from those looking for a way out... LOL
Old June 15, 2001, 07:04   #85
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 11:35
wants to be in
Why don´t you/we just play two tournaments, one for those boredomloving 1x1x players and one with 2x2x settings? Winner and second of each "division" will play the finals then: one game 1x1x, one 2x2x and - if necessary - one game with 2x1x settings.

I´d love to be in this tourney, but it seems I´ll have to nominate myself, since you seem to have forgotten about my genius . It looks like it will still take awhile before you start. Most probably I will have my internet connection back ´til then.
Old June 15, 2001, 08:11   #86
drake
King

I like that idea oedo, but i think cavebears trying to keep the tournament as simple as possible. Dividing it in two might be too much work.

I'd nominate you, but I've never played with you.
Your year rule is great though! Anyone who plays civ knows about the oedo years
Old June 15, 2001, 10:43   #87
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by StrategicKing2
Well, then guess ill have more time to take my dogs to the lake or play golf. Ill take a pass on this so called tourney since 2 x 2 king was ignored. Its not because I cant adapt. Its because its mind numbingly, suicide provoking, coma inducingly BORING....to play deity or 1 move or 1 production.....I for one, wont lose any sleep over it as I am sure neither will you....I just once, any of you would grow some grapefruits and play a truelly skilled 2 x 2 king game......wannabies
There are Apolyton people who will play 2x. So ?
It's obvious who is restricted in their ability.
Old June 15, 2001, 10:53   #88
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

why is that all these people come to apolyton and abuse us for choice of settigns , are people here going to other forums and abusing them first ????
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old June 15, 2001, 11:55   #89
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

No.
Some have left to contribute to other boards, and come back here to say how bad Apolyton compares. Which is highly debateable.
They show bad form in doing so.
Old June 15, 2001, 20:22   #90
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UpInFlames
Can any1 play in this?
You were nominated, so you are on the list. Or did you mean that you had someone in mind that you wanted to add?