View Poll Results: Where do you emphazize your development in a game?
Focus on my strengths to try and overwhelm the opponent. 5 55.56%
Focus on development in my weak areas to prevent them from being a liability. 4 44.44%
Neither one. I try for a rounded out approach to development. 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 3, 2001, 15:35   #1
Angst
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Your style of play and development
This is kind of a general question to how you like to play games where you are represented by a race or faction with inherent abilities and weaknesses. In Alpha Centauri, for example, you can play a specific faction and then make governmental, social, and economic choices that can either detract from or add to your strengths and weaknesses.

In Imperium Galactica II, you can play a specific race with its own areas of excellence and drawbacks. An example would be playing the Shinari race, which is weak militarily, but strong in commerce and espionage.

The question really comes down to: Do you play in such a way that you rely on your strengths and focus development in that area to overwhelm your opponent, or do you prefer to try to focus on your areas of weakness to prevent them from becoming an exploitable liability?
Old June 4, 2001, 16:07   #2
Colon™
Emperor

Local Time: 12:35
In all strategy games I’ve played up to now, I tend to have a careful, constructive style of playing.
I love to build something up, to see something grow and I tend to strive for perfection and balance. I also usually avoid risks and conflicts.
In a game as SMAC I’d be the type that chooses the University or the Peacekeepers. Yet I never played with them, because I felt like using a completely opposite style of playing, namely militaristic warmonger and I got bored with the game before I got to play a builder faction.
Even when I was using an aggressive style, I had a perfectionist, constructive tendency. I preferred to fight against stronger factions to maintain game balance and I couldn't resist making numerous improvements.(buildings, terraforming etc)
Old June 5, 2001, 06:22   #3
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:35
I always play races that complement my style of play, meaning I usually choose the Psilons/University type factions while avoiding espionage-based races.
Old June 9, 2001, 18:30   #4
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 05:35
I am a technologist and confirmed builder, and mainly build spies to 'peek in' on how the AI is doing, and to occasionally deal with the AI city that just interfered with my carefully-planned countryside. I have to force myself to build diplos early on, to deal with barbs, mainly.

I tend to avoid MP games, as I lack that 'killer instinct', and get irritated when others take advantage of that fact...

BTW, I always take or develop research-oriented factions, since I find not having the tech lead...annoying...
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old June 12, 2001, 02:32   #5
ACOLKitty
Prince

Local Time: 03:35
Location: Triangle of Death Founding Member and Ambassador to Polytubbie land.
I play as a benevolent builder who constantly expands and builds up infrastructure. I generally wait until I am attacked and then overtake my opponent with my massive production power.

"ok, fine.
from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
--MarkG

and by MikeH
she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.