View Poll Results: Which on is your favourite faction?
University 48 20.08%
Peacekeepers 21 8.79%
Gaians 32 13.39%
Hives 22 9.21%
Pirates 17 7.11%
Morgans 26 10.88%
Drones 22 9.21%
Spartans 14 5.86%
Consciousness 21 8.79%
other (angels, cult, beliviers, aliens) 16 6.69%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 12, 2001, 16:47   #31
Darkstar
Prince

Local Time: 04:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Previous to the release of SMACX, I liked most of the factions. I tended to play the University and Hive the most. (Then Gaians and PK... then Morgan, Spartans, and Believers at last... Spartan and Believers were just TOO easy to win with. Morgan was down the list being so dependant on a GOOD start position to be able to have a real shot at the game, with MY play style.)

After SMACX, Pirates, hands down is my favorite. They are less dependant on start position then any other factions. All they need is a bit of water, and getting the Weather project, and then all the world's an ocean. I find the Pirates make the best "Morgan" faction, actually, although they lend themselves to most play styles nicely.

Most worthless faction? Pink panzies. They are worse then Morgan about needing a good start location. They are just sad.
Old June 12, 2001, 16:55   #32
curtadams
Settler

Local Time: 02:37
Quote:
Originally posted by cbn
Interesting that the original Smac group got 78% of the vote. I wonder if all the voters have Smax as well. I would still expect the originals to do well but are there really only 20% of the players out there that prefer the new guys.
Well, the 6 of the originals (all save Yang) are archetypes of people you could meet on the street; most Westerners would be sympathetic to at least some. The SMAX 7 include two aliens, and all the humans would seem a little, well, (odd) if you ran into them. The SMAX 7 are just harder to identify with.
Old June 12, 2001, 18:49   #33
bondetamp
Prince

Local Time: 12:37
I believe Booger used to work as a nurse at the army camp where I served.
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
-H. L. Mencken
Old June 12, 2001, 19:50   #34
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 07:37
in the demo it seems to me that the pirates would have some trouble with minerals seeing as how they can't build boreholes in the ocean.
Old June 13, 2001, 11:37   #35
Zaphod
Warlord

Local Time: 05:37
My favorite faction is the Data Angels, because they are so flexible.

They have no major disadvantages, and have a few fun advantages (inexpensive mind control can be very useful). They can build well, they can go to war, they can steal tech/units/bases. Plus, nobody is "cooler" than Roze !
Old June 13, 2001, 12:01   #36
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

On transcend alone, or any level with a partner, it's gotta be the drones. 2x the size without drone problems make them as good as the PKs early, with a great industry kick. More formers and CPs quicker. They can do all the important SE choices. They rock.

Alone on thinker and below, the UoP does rock, though.
Old June 13, 2001, 12:23   #37
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

My favorite is the Drones for their industrial power. My second choice would be Peacekeepers and my third choice would be the University.

Jonny
Old June 13, 2001, 16:08   #38
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 10:37
Consciousness. Nuff zed.
Old June 14, 2001, 03:32   #39
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 06:37
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Quote:
Provost Harrison wrote:
..., although you really need to snatch that VW to keep the drones at bay!
Ah, yes, I remember those days well ! Nothing beat snatching the old VW and droning on down to the bay !

Last edited by gwillybj; May 5, 2002 at 19:33.
Old June 15, 2001, 10:54   #40
b&i_c
Chieftain

I like the Data Angels all the way.
Here's my reasoning:

Minuses: -1 POLICE, big deal, that just means they can't nerve staple, they can still use a unit for police
Aversion POWER, again, who cares? Power really sucks (unless you get Cloning Vats) because of the -2 INDSTRY.

Pluses: +2 Probe and Free Covert Ops Center at the discovery of P-SA, this is awesome, because #1, your probe teams start out as elite, giving them an extra movement, and if you armor them, a big possibility of surviving a battle, and also, they have a huge chance of success, #2, if you aren't running knowledge, then your bases are immune to subversion, #3, Covert Ops Centers normally cost 2 maintenance. They also start with a probe team in the beginning! Having two starting techs is always nice. Having the built in Planetary Datalinks is great too.
Old June 15, 2001, 13:03   #41
ACOLKitty
Prince

Local Time: 03:37
Location: Triangle of Death Founding Member and Ambassador to Polytubbie land.
Bump for the morgans. The extra money beats out extra nodes any day.

"ok, fine.
from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
--MarkG

and by MikeH
she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.
Old June 16, 2001, 06:51   #42
MariOne
King

Local Time: 12:37
I can't take this poll actually, because I played all the smac factions several times in a lot of pbems in the last two years (aside: we're talking about multiplyayer here, isn't it? because of course single_player is not worth spending a single_word on), and I almost always got the feeling that I was enjoying that faction I was playing with, even to the point that I slightly preferred it over the others, just to change opinion when I took on the next pbem from ny mailbox 10 minutes later.
That's why I usually prefer to be the last player to pick a faction in a pbem setup phase, I wouldn't know what I like...

Anyway, I can give you ratings instead of picking a favorite.

Gaia: 9
Hive: 9
Univ: 8.5
Morgan: 9
Sparta: 7
Believers: 8.5
PK: 9

I just played the SMAX factions once or twice in single players when I bought it, so I can't express an opinion there. NONE of them above 6 anyway at first impression.
Old July 8, 2001, 10:45   #43
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 11:37
67 votes, either that is the total number of SMAC/X players here at Apolyton or the number of people willing to vote.
Old July 8, 2001, 12:10   #44
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

Pirates forever. There mineral problem isn't that bad because of the bonuses they get from shelf squares. Plus, the ability to build in ocean squares is awesome later on.
Old July 8, 2001, 12:22   #45
NorthSwordsman
Prince

I like playing the Believers for one reason- They rock as attackers! Not many factions can stand up to them in the early game. Around mid to late game, they are a real challenge to play. Their lack of tech makes you work harder, as opposed to an easy tech game with the University (not bashing them.. just stating a fact about tech!). I enjoy a challenge...and the believers make for a challenge.
Old July 8, 2001, 19:58   #46
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I find the Hive to be my favorite... Yang is damn cool, and once you get started, the -2 Economy isn't all that crippling. Plus, having the equivalent of the CDF is always nice
Old July 15, 2001, 10:16   #47
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 06:37
I personally am very fond of the Hive, and it's the only faction with which I can consistently beat the game on Iron Woman Transcend. I also have a deep respect for the University (originally my faction of choice) but my tactics favor the high-Police, high-Industry techniques of the Hive.

I have recently begun to play more as a Builder leader than a Hybrid/Momentum leader, and I have found that the Hive has limitations on this sphere. I did try to play a game as the Morganites, but that ended rather predictably in tears.

So, Hive all the way for me.
Old July 16, 2001, 10:16   #48
death_head
Prince

Gotta love Domai...his lack of research early game is more than made up for by the sheer power of his industrial force in mid-late game. I've been able to out-tech the good Provost simply by constructing a large number of enhancements to get me more energy...what a guy. And I can emphasize with him (poor Drones... )
Old July 17, 2001, 14:23   #49
n.c.
Emperor

Spartan as a builder, changing the -1 industry to -2 growth. Democracy, Green, Knowledge and Cybernetic. I have ~8 top notch cities and the few I take and don't donate to an ally. Plus by mid-game I have an all-elite military. Pretty darn cool.
Old July 17, 2001, 14:29   #50
death_head
Prince

Wouldn't you prefer a builder faction for building?
Old July 18, 2001, 05:54   #51
Vytae
Warlord

Morgans,followed by University

Morgans are not dependant on a good starting postion.

but if they get a Good starting position such as Mount Planet,Uranium flats or pholus ridge slap on wealth and freemarket and watch the cash pour in at a disgusting rate. Escpially if you nab merchant exchange,your Hq can then power your whole damn empire =o
Old July 18, 2001, 08:55   #52
n.c.
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by death_head
Wouldn't you prefer a builder faction for building?
I probably should, but this way it's kind of an additional challenge.
Old July 18, 2001, 10:37   #53
death_head
Prince

I keep forgetting that unlike me, you're a good player.
Old September 4, 2001, 16:39   #54
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 11:37
Winner Declared?
Should I declare The UoP the most popular faction among apolyton players?

Out of 86 votes the good Provost got an outstanding 19 votes leaving Yang second with 9 votes behind.

tAtT voctoy is popular ,,,,,,
Old September 4, 2001, 19:57   #55
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 20:37
I like the Pirates, first of all, because they're Pirates. I mean, how cool are pirates? Plus Svensgaard is a political atheist like me and has no aversions, which means I can use Police State and Free Market.

After them are the Gaians, followed by the Morgans and the Spartans. The Cult is cool, too (a cult - come on!). I like the Free Drones for myself as well as for opponents because they're very challenging. You'd think that -2 Research would be an insurmountable handicap, but they can be surprisingly strong. And it's fun to play as Conqueror Marr and be totally ruthless, marching your armies across the globe on roads built from your enemies' skulls.

The first faction I was attracted to was the University because of their "The Scientist" label on the Choose Your Faction screen. But every time I've played as them, I've gotten murdered, and not by probe teams either. I played about 500 consecutive Alpha Centauri Original games as the Gaians; the reason I started was because in my previous games as the Morgans and the University they were always the strongest AI faction. They were also the first faction I managed to win with!
Old September 4, 2001, 20:55   #56
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 00:37
No!! Not Yet!!!
The obvious winner should be the benevolent Chairman Yang and the glorious Human Hive. The Human Hive is the only faction with enough common sense to keep their population safe and untainted by other factions and the fact that they BUILD what they need instead of BUYING it.
Old September 5, 2001, 04:06   #57
Bornon
Settler

Morgan. Tidal Harnesses. Wealth. 'Nuf said.
Old September 5, 2001, 05:33   #58
aaglo
King

Local Time: 13:37
The Gaians

They're ideologies are the only true way of living in a modern world. Humans have to learn about the mistakes (concerning the nature and overall environment) made in the past . We just have to , other options aren't even options. They are plain stupidity

So, long live the Gaians, and let the rest be repressed by them mind worms (well, maybe not the Planet Cult ).

And I HATE the Morganites
Old September 5, 2001, 05:42   #59
Bornon
Settler

Yes of course. Do you think I run around in real life pursuing wealth like the Morganites? If that would be true, what the hell am I doing on Apolyton?
But: do you not like to play your dark side? As in: recycle your waste/garbage, but scorch Planet with PB's?
Old September 5, 2001, 06:33   #60
aaglo
King

Local Time: 13:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Bornon
....But: do you not like to play your dark side? As in: recycle your waste/garbage, but scorch Planet with PB's?
Oh no, I don't like to play on the "dark side"...
That's just the way I am . I live in Finland, where winters are very, very, very dark
It's still quite light, but it's getting darker all the time as winter is getting closer. And I prefer the dark winter, it is like a lesson in humility Everybody could make use of it