View Poll Results: Are Future Technologies A Good Thing???
Yeah 9 60.00%
No Way 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 5, 2001, 02:18   #1
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 20:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is Future Technolgy Coming Back???
Does anybody know if Future Technology is coming back in Civ 3? If not, then how will Firaxis deal with running out of technologies?
Old June 5, 2001, 02:42   #2
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 05:38
Future Tech as it was in Civ2 will probably return, ie. score increase, nothing more.

About future tech units and actual technologies, like SMAC, I'm totally against it. I prefer the tried and true Civ that started playing on my 386. I enjoy a little near future stuff like fusion and SDI, but beyond that, I'd rather not see much if any.
Old June 5, 2001, 03:09   #3
Alex 14
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
Future Tech as it was in Civ2 will probably return, ie. score increase, nothing more.

About future tech units and actual technologies, like SMAC, I'm totally against it. I prefer the tried and true Civ that started playing on my 386. I enjoy a little near future stuff like fusion and SDI, but beyond that, I'd rather not see much if any.
Yeah i completely agree.
Old June 5, 2001, 05:44   #4
BigRich
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Warlord

Local Time: 10:38
Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV

Yep I'm with you there. The CTP future techs were quite entertaining at first and the Great Library (in-game) entries for them were quite well done but felt kind of 'tacked on as an afterthought' after a while. Maybe if I played at a higher level there would be more of a 'tech race' but generally once I get to the Modern Age enemy civs can't catch me.

But I digress. What I *would* like to see is an automatic tech selection once you have finished the tech tree. Selecting Future Tech X every few turns gets a bit tedious.

Rich
Old June 5, 2001, 06:55   #5
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 11:38
Quote:
Originally posted by BigRich
What I *would* like to see is an automatic tech selection once you have finished the tech tree. Selecting Future Tech X every few turns gets a bit tedious.
Good point! It was really silly to have to confirm every new research.
I must add that, while detailed future tech are a bit on the SMAC terrain, the Civ 2 generic "Future Tech #" left a bad taste in my mouth

Just for fun, Firaxis should add a random tech name composer; you know, that kind of program that generate a phrase adding together different class of words

Future tech will not add units or feature, only game points, but it should be funny to achieve "Genetic enhanced Computer" or "Ultralight alloy"; next game they should be "Genetic enhanced alloy" and "Ultralight Computer"
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old June 5, 2001, 07:32   #6
BigRich
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

Good point! It was really silly to have to confirm every new research.
I must add that, while detailed future tech are a bit on the SMAC terrain, the Civ 2 generic "Future Tech #" left a bad taste in my mouth

Just for fun, Firaxis should add a random tech name composer; you know, that kind of program that generate a phrase adding together different class of words

Future tech will not add units or feature, only game points, but it should be funny to achieve "Genetic enhanced Computer" or "Ultralight alloy"; next game they should be "Genetic enhanced alloy" and "Ultralight Computer"
Thanks!

Just as an idea, what would people think of Future Techs that actually did something. Use a random name generator as above (loved this idea btw) and have some names give beneficial effects. Eg. Ultralight alloys - improves unit movement by 1, Genetic computers +2 beakers for each city over size 5, Universal vaccine +1 happiness per city (very rare this one )

So no new structures or units but a smallish random chance of upgrading existing stuff to give Future Tech research a bit more meaning. I don't think this is going to affect gameplay too much, by the time you arrive at Future Tech (if at all), you should have/be able to clobber the AI flat if you so wish. And if the AI improves to a point where little tweaks like these can make or break a war then I don't imagine anyone will be grumbling anyway

Rich
Old June 5, 2001, 07:45   #7
Hasdrubal
Prince

Local Time: 11:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
Just for fun, Firaxis should add a random tech name composer;
it should be funny to achieve "Genetic enhanced Computer" or "Ultralight alloy";
Clever!
Old June 5, 2001, 07:46   #8
Sean
Prince

Having followed this debate for some time on the boards, I have been 'won over' onto the side of 'no-future-techs'. As such, I do not support there inclusion in Civ III. Future techs (except for a couple of 'near-techs' are largely ridiculas speculation.
Old June 5, 2001, 08:04   #9
Biddles
Prince

By future techs, they mean the civ1 version: you have obtained future tech 1, 2, 3 ...... These just increase your score (or maybe give a tiny production/economic/science... bonus).
Not techs that actually make anything new available.

Good idea on the name generator. I get sick of seeing future tech (some ridiculously high number).
Old June 5, 2001, 23:52   #10
Alex 14
Prince

New Idea
Maybee Firaxis should create some sort of limit to how much science output you can have per turn, for example if it is limited well, you could only be allowed to discover all the techs after 1750 AD, or something like that. This way the person that gets all the techs wins. Future technology is not only unrealistic but boring also.