Old June 5, 2001, 08:53   #1
Ben E Gas
Settler

Local Time: 05:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is this possible?
I just bought civ2 call to power. Unfortunatly, when I tried to install the game they wanted me to install about 300MB of info in order to play. Why is that? The original civ2 only takes up about 30MB of space. I don't have enough space for Call to Power, is there a way to play the game directly from the CD.

If not: That's a bad design flaw of compo games if you ask me. I'd be able to buy so many more games if I could just play them off of the CD. Oh Well.

-Ben
Old June 5, 2001, 12:31   #2
Skeeve
Prince

Local Time: 06:38
I'm pretty sure that you can't play off the CD, even with minimal installation.
However, if you could, you probably wouldn't want to because it would slow the game down to an utter crawl.
Old June 6, 2001, 05:42   #3
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 12:38
I think Civ3 will take more space of your harddrive. Harddrives on current Computers are large and game developpers will use the space, for better and huger graphics. If you delete every graphic from the game you would be surprised how small it would be. My sollution was to buy a new comp. But this is another storry.

-Martin
Old June 12, 2001, 02:57   #4
ACOLKitty
Prince

Local Time: 03:38
Location: Triangle of Death Founding Member and Ambassador to Polytubbie land.
Re: Is this possible?
What kind of computer are you using? Even when Civ2 was new I did full install (~300 megs) so that it wouldn't slow itdown.

"ok, fine.
from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
--MarkG

and by MikeH
she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.
Old June 12, 2001, 09:05   #5
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 05:38
...or you can get an additional hard drive. You could probably get an additional 20 Gb of space for less than $100 now.

RAM is also very cheap too - and that makes a huge difference in game performance.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old June 12, 2001, 13:35   #6
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 12:38
Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
...or you can get an additional hard drive. You could probably get an additional 20 Gb of space for less than $100 now.

RAM is also very cheap too - and that makes a huge difference in game performance.
That's makes a big difference really, but I am afraid if you want to play this game or any other civ like game you needs really a good computer. I can see the difference between my old comp and my new one. On the one hand my old comp = no fun and on the other hand my new comp=a lot of fun, because of a higher speed, but this was a little bit more expensive...

-Martin