Old June 6, 2001, 04:53   #1
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 05:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Domestic Politics: Where is it?!
Why hasn't anyone talked about the problems all governments face with regards to internal political challanges to one's power? I believe that dealing with internal domestic politics would add a considerable and challanging new aspect to the game.

The domestic political model doesn't have to be complicated either. The game should force an emperor (such as yourself) to appoint important people to court (or in a democracy: cabinet members to office). It could be setup in such a way as to force an emperor to appoint people from different parts of the empire whether they are talented or not. If not, the emperor could risk alienating a section of his empire, which may... given certain circomstances... revolt against his rule.

This idea would be a great solution for Firaxis to incorporate characters into other aspects of the game without limiting it to military units!

There is so much that can be done with domestic politics, it's a wonder why Firaxis hasn't jumped on this idea.
Old June 6, 2001, 09:25   #2
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 11:40
This is something that could be added...but so many things are and perhaps this is on of those " we wish we could but it would get to complex " things. Though it would be cool.....like you have to have the peoples support in a democacy.
Old June 6, 2001, 09:33   #3
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 05:40
Well, like I said, it can be made to be very, very simple. That's all you would do is appoint these people to be your military, science, domestic, etc advisor. That character would give you positive or negative bonuses to your empire. It can be made very simply, and I've seen this in other games (ancient ones, I might ad).

I once saw this in a US Civil War game, where you'd have to appoint members to your cabinet from all over the country. It was a very simple concept that worked very well.
Old June 6, 2001, 13:06   #4
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 11:40
The game already has advisors that just advise. I think you mean sub-leaders that actually have a positive influence on the game. That is where the whole thing becomes very subjective. Incidentally the MOO3 team are doing this and it will be very interesting to see if it works. However I don't like being told that i cannot micromanage if I actually want to (which appears to be what they are saying.)

A strong reason for the collapse of Napoleon's health was that he felt he had no-one he could trust to share management of his empire. For years he did all the important administrative tasks himself, even when on campaign. Like Bony I don't want a game forcing me to go through an incompetent general or politician when I can do a better job myself. Mayors and the like should stay optional.

On the other hand, I'd be interested in having to 'manage the mob' in a little more detail than just keeping each individual city from experiencing unhappiness revolts. That is where the proposed "ordinances" would give scope for building unique cultural models to distinguish them apart.