Old June 6, 2001, 23:46   #1
ContradictioN

A "War Screen"
Isn't it a pain, you can't record all the battles you've had?

You can't see how many people have died, how many armies you've lost, how much money has been lost because of the war, etc

why can't we have a screen which solely records all the info of every battle there is?

So like, it tells you how long a war has been going on for, how many citizens died, what cities were taken over, taken back, how many armies died, which ones died, how much money was spent into the war, what started the war, what ended the war, the leaders involved, the alliances, the enemies, and so on

I think that would be great fun to have something like that

Old June 7, 2001, 00:07   #2
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
warmongers queue here
Yes, and then you could masturbate.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old June 7, 2001, 00:35   #3
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 20:41
They had an option like this in civ 2, but not in so much detail, so i'm sure they'll bring it back.
Old June 7, 2001, 03:07   #4
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 10:41
Though there is no point recording those 50-100-500year wars, where noting happens. The silly AI declares war cause you hold out on a tech...but you actually have next to no contact to actually fight the stupid war with each other.

Units lossed zero. DT = 0....you get the idea..
Old June 7, 2001, 03:46   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 11:41
This seems to be an expansion of the 'history' screen with more detail. We have had positive noises that it will return in one form or other for Civ III so there is hope. Masturbation remains purely optional - Bucephalos would probably prefer to munch some nuts.
Old June 11, 2001, 13:33   #6
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 05:41
Re: warmongers queue here
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
Yes, and then you could masturbate.
Who says I, I mean 'he', wasn't doing so already, turn-based games are made for this sort of behavior.

About the battle screen. I'd really like to see a full replay of the entire game zoomed out and over a politically colored map like at the end of Civ1 but showing all the units and battles, but I think that would be way too unrealistic in terms of file size for each saved game. Would be a lot of fun though.

Such a feature would be like the old X-Wing replay feature where you could record your entire battle and see where everyone was and all the attacks, would be pretty darn cool in my opinion but file size prohibitive (when loading and saving games)
Old June 11, 2001, 14:25   #7
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Don't worry about AH, he is just getting his post count up as he is within a cigarette-paper's width of becoming a deity

Now yeah, it would be good to have the stats table that used to be in Civ2 around, and enhancement of it would be good, ie, to cover a present war between you and selected enemy/enemies (ie, evaluate total losses in the current war).
Old June 11, 2001, 19:46   #8
Ilkuul
Prince

Local Time: 10:41
Maybe as an aid to keeping file size down etc., you could have an option to record or not record any given conflict. I assume this would be something different, and more detailed, than the end-game replay. Be good, tho', to have this 'military history' saved at the end of the game so you can review it along with the replay.

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".
Old June 12, 2001, 01:54   #9
eNo
Chieftain

mmm...I like this. If I remember correctly CivI did this better (well in more detail) than CivII. I think CivI not only told how many units you've lost (and killed) but numbers pertaining to each civ. ie. You'll know you've lost 14 tanks against the Germans but only 3 against the English.

Though this is will have little-to no effect on gameplay, I like this extra level of detail.
Old June 12, 2001, 07:03   #10
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I thought CivII gave you that kind of detail as well on the military screen if you clicked on the right tab. You could see the total of losses for each type of unit for each civilisation.

In SMAC I suppose it would be infeasible to do this as there are so many different variations upon the same unit that the screen would just become choked up...
Old June 13, 2001, 01:08   #11
eNo
Chieftain

Provost Harrison, I could be wrong on the specifics but I'm sure that CivI gave one extra piece of detail more than CivII. I remember being annoyed about the ommission when I first picked up CivII but now it's been so long that I've played either game I can't say what it was anymore.

Trying to remember what was on that screen:
Units built
Units building
Loss count / civ-specific loss
Kill count / civ-specific kill count

On second thought maybe it was the kill count that was missing.