Old April 14, 2000, 21:24   #1
sammyboy7

has anybody seen the psx version?
I saw on the activision site that there is a playstation version of civ2. does anyone have it? is it at all like the real thing?

Old April 16, 2000, 13:26   #2
Q_tip1976
Warlord

Local Time: 17:38
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I own both the computer and PSX versions of CivII. So yes it is deffinately a real thing. Over all I think the PSX version is a good port but there are a couple of problems. The AI seems a little weaker and at the end of the game the Playsation can take like 10 minutes to resolve the AI's turns. Also there aren't as many customization options.
Old April 25, 2000, 13:23   #3
klesh
King

Local Time: 18:38
Yeah, the old PSX version...

Before I knew anything about Civ, I was reading a PSX magazine that had a review of CivII. BTW they gave it a 9.5! Being a history buff, I picked it up. I poured hours into that, then one day I saw Civ for the computer. I was so naive that I had no idea it was on pc's first!(long time ago)

There is one nice benefit to the PSX version, you can play Civ for hours whilst on your couch, rather than ruining your posture at the pc.
Other than that The pc version is soooooooo much better. Yes, there is far less customization. Yes, there are terrible graphics. Yes, the terrain specials are virtually invisible. And the DAMN ai does take 10 minutes to excecute a turn later on!!! This is a realistic #....10 minutes!!!
You can make sandwiches, phone calls etc and still have time to kill.
I'd say that it's a good way to learen to play Civ. And for the true Civ fan, he may want to have the PSX version merely for documentation purposes. I'd stick to the pc version though.

------------------
I am the Ukrainian Anti-Pope!
Old May 2, 2000, 15:47   #4
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 00:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
My brother bought the playstation version and I tried it out. My advise is to stick with the PC version, the difference is HUGE!

First, graphics. I like the graphics of Civ II (PC version), but I know a lot of people think they were sub-par even when the game came out.

But comparing them with the playstation's is like comparing a stealth fighter with the Orville brothers' first plane. I couldtn't see a thing!!! The playstation's graphics were simply horrible...

Second, controls. It was awkward to open city windows, move units, change production e t c. But I started playing civ on the PC so maybe I'm biased, maybe it would feel the other way around if I had played the playstation version first.

Third, opposition (I could be wrong here as I quit after about ten minutes and didn't check it out too thoroughly). Multiplayer option, enough said!

Carolus

[This message has been edited by Carolus Rex (edited May 02, 2000).]
Old May 7, 2000, 16:44   #5
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 00:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I have seen few screenshots of PSX version,
and they looked really BAD!

Not much of a EyeCandy, what CIV2 in its
own way IS.
Old May 11, 2000, 16:20   #6
johnmcd
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 22:38
On the slow turn tip.

I learnt to play on a 486, and the knowledge that when you hit enter your going to be sitting around for about two cups of coffee, (if your lucky they might throw in an episode of the Simpsons) really makes you think, you never forget because sorting stuff the next turn is just so much hassle. Also all the sitting around gives you time to think things through, (do I really need to rush by that phalanx? etc) and consequently do some hard core, but efficient, micromanagement. I like long waits. I never get my best scores on my PIII 500, and God knows what my graphics card thinks of it(It probably get bullied by its all the other graphic cards..).
Old May 20, 2000, 19:10   #7
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 22:38
I owned and played CivII for the PSX and CivII MGE for the computer. The computer version is wayyyy better. You can pick up the MGE for what - under 20 bucks, while the PSX is twice as expensive. Plus there are hundreds of scenarios, modpacks and new graphics files you can download off the web to keep the game fresh - go computer and never look back

------------------
Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.