Old June 29, 2001, 23:40   #31
To_Serve_Man
Warlord

Local Time: 05:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A long forgoten thread.. I have come up with an idea!

How about if we let roads and rails have a radius. When you lay a road or rail down, it also gives bonuses to the tiles that are touching it. This gives people their tile bonuses, and also since a player doesnt need to put a road or rail on every tile, can just make a few routes going from a certian city...
Old August 1, 2001, 18:37   #32
polypheus
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:44
Quote:
Originally posted by To_Serve_Man
A long forgoten thread.. I have come up with an idea!

How about if we let roads and rails have a radius. When you lay a road or rail down, it also gives bonuses to the tiles that are touching it. This gives people their tile bonuses, and also since a player doesnt need to put a road or rail on every tile, can just make a few routes going from a certian city...
Agreed! By reducing the trade/production bonuses, the need for building these ugly webs of roads and railroads everywhere would be reduced as well.

Unfortunately all the preliminary screenshots that I have seen seem to indicate that the road/railroad sprawl is with us, perhaps worse than ever.

SIGH
Old August 1, 2001, 19:32   #33
TechWins
King

Local Time: 03:44
Quote:
perhaps worse than ever.
You might be right. With needing roads to resources there should even be more roads/railroads. I hope the go to command will be able to handle all the roads/railroads this time around.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 2, 2001, 02:12   #34
meriadoc
Warlord

Local Time: 06:44
Okay, I'll admit that I've been playing a lot of CTP2 lately so a lot of what I'm going to say is based on that game and not Civ2. That doesn't mean, however, that I don't like Civ2.

Personally, I tend to agree that the webs of roads and rails that tend to form around cities in Civ2 really don't look that great. Sure, they increase resources and movement rates, but they tend to be ugly and, worse yet, make it too easy for an invader to come in. In CTP2 the roads and RRs only increased movement rates. Food, production, and trade was handled by another series of tile improvements. So I ended up with a minimal set of roads connecting cities and making shortcuts for war transportation.

So how do I feel the roads and railroads in Civ3 should work? Well, I don't think that they should decrease the amount of food/production/trade that a tile produces. Personally, I tend to like the idea of having the roads/railroads only provide transportation benefits and nothing else. However, what I really am after is keeping the amount of roads down to a minimum. If it takes maintenance costs or stuff like that, then so be it. Just keep it simple.