Old June 12, 2001, 12:55   #1
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 10:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New Video
http://www.spelletjesgarnaal.be/movies/ma_e3.html

Not... that interesting, perhaps. But Ghandi (Indians!), the nice intro, some info on continent generation... You see what you can get out of it. 3 and a half minutes.
Old June 12, 2001, 13:57   #2
OneFootInTheGrave
King

I cant watch it, I t doesn't want to download here...

can someone write up about the most interesting fatures?
Old June 12, 2001, 14:01   #3
Ralf
King

Local Time: 11:49
I have now looked at the video, and one thing that worries me is the general lack of emphasize on coastal cities. In order to achieve more efficient terrain-use, one must start out by founding mostly coastal-cities, then working inwards. This together with just a tad too spaced-out cities, leads to rather inefficiently used land-areas - especially when playing on small to mediumsized islands.

Now, admittedly: I dont know exactly how hard it is to crank out Civ-2 style 20, 30 or even 50 cities empires. I expect it a lot harder; partly as a result of settlers being much more pop-costly & precious then in Civ-2.

If around 15-20 founded cities is a practical upper max-limit in Civ-3, then perhaps its not so important to have them shoulder-by-shoulder anymore - at least not on bigger continents. Also, the colonies even out the need for the latter approach, I guess.

Nevertheless: Firaxis should at least emphasize coastal cities a little more. There was too few of them in that video.
Old June 12, 2001, 14:12   #4
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 11:49
When I try to watch the film I only get the sounds and darkness where this supposed to be a film

Last edited by Henrik; June 12, 2001 at 14:21.
Old June 12, 2001, 14:21   #5
Nadexander
Warlord

Local Time: 02:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf
I have now looked at the video, and one thing that worries me is the general lack of emphasize on coastal cities.
I think that the very nature of the trade system will result in a natural emphasis on costal cities. Only costal cities will be able to connect trade wise with cities on other continents (using harbors). We all know that trade is going to be a big deal in civ3 so costal cities will naturally be a big deal as well. Plus, since trade is so important, it also stands to prove that control of the seas is critical as well (Alfred Mahan, anyone?) so building up navies will also be very important.

Quote:
Now, admittedly: I dont know exactly how hard it is to crank out Civ-2 style 20, 30 or even 50 cities empires. I expect it a lot harder; partly as a result of settlers being much more pop-costly & precious then in Civ-2.
From what i've seen, I think firaxis has gone the extra mile to make sure ICS dies and stays dead. I guess we can thus assume that fewer, well placed, well spaced out cities will be the name of the game in civ3.

-Nadexander
Old June 12, 2001, 15:20   #6
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 06:49
Quote:
If around 15-20 founded cities is a practical upper max-limit in Civ-3, then perhaps its not so important to have them shoulder-by-shoulder anymore - at least not on bigger continents. Also, the colonies even out the need for the latter approach, I guess.
You're forgetting about 16 civs on the same map...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 12, 2001, 16:00   #7
JosefGiven
Warlord

Quote:
You're forgetting about 16 civs on the same map...
Yeah, I saw something about Civ III allowing us to have 16 civs on one map, in the WARGAMER PREVIEW snippet that was in the Civ III news:
Quote:
...The Wargamer has posted a preview of all games at E3, with Civilization 3 getting a write up as well...

...Civilization III will feature 16 civilizations out of the box and current plans are that all 16 will be playable on the same map, either as human multi-player opponents or quite adept Artificial Intelligence (AI).
Now, seeing as that's the only time I've seen it written that there will be 16 civs active in the game at any one time, I have to conclude Wargamer have spooned the job and got the wrong end of the stick.

I reckon it'll be 7 civs max with 16 to choose from at the start.

(Back on topic) I haven't DLed the vid yet, so I can't really add my comments about that.

Last edited by JosefGiven; June 12, 2001 at 16:06.
Old June 12, 2001, 16:10   #8
Frugal_Gourmet
Warlord

Local Time: 05:49
I heard that if you play the video at 1/4 speed, you can catch a glimpse of Egyptian ruler, Cleopatra, in the buff. Also, you can see a little preview of the American special unit -- the pop star -- and faintly hear someone murmuring "Sid Meier Rules..." in the background.

Just a few Easter Eggs they tossed in there, I believe.
Old June 12, 2001, 16:37   #9
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 06:49
Quote:
Originally posted by JosefGiven
I reckon it'll be 7 civs max with 16 to choose from at the start.
Firaxis hasn't denied anything yet, nor confirmed it, so my thoughts are that the wargamer preview got it right when they said "current plans". It wouldn't make much sense for Firaxis to let us get excited and then disappoint us.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 12, 2001, 16:47   #10
JosefGiven
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Firaxis hasn't denied anything yet, nor confirmed it, so my thoughts are that the wargamer preview got it right when they said "current plans". It wouldn't make much sense for Firaxis to let us get excited and then disappoint us.
Hmm, I've seen many Apolytonites quote/suggest/theorise that there will be 7 civs max playable per game. I'd LOVE to be wrong though.