Old June 14, 2001, 08:07   #1
Jeje2
Prince

Local Time: 12:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Resources & Luxuries
OK, some resources have been confirmed, but most are still in the dark.
(Or have I missed something important)

We know that there will be spice, silk, diamonds, iron, oil, and uranium.
Are there more?

How about some resources that were important some time or are somewhat disputable. (Ex. Opium was a main import good to china in one time and still produced today.)

OK, I know it's interesting to do speculation but now I would mainly be inerested in finding out the luxuries and resources of CivIII.
Old June 14, 2001, 08:51   #2
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:51
Yep. Looking through some of the screenshots, I have seen horses and gems. Wheat is also there, but that just improves the food output of a square. I have also seen gold, coal oil, whale, fish and I am sure I have seen elephant (presumably ivory).

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 14, 2001, 08:56   #3
C. Gerhardt
Chieftain

Obviously our missing the first resource available in the game: Bronze. But there is a small tweak: bronze aint a natural resource, but an alloy of tin an copper.

And how about coal. You cant make steel without coal.

I´m still wandering if you need horses and elephants for mounted units.

Chariots, catapults mostly ships need Wood for construction.

You probably need Bauxiet (aluminium) form building airplanes.

What about Gold and Silver? Comes in handy if u wanna make juwelry.

And Rubber. Unless u wanna continue driving "Flintstone"-cars.

Maybe gravel for making concrete. I read something about needing the proper materials for building city-impr. You cant build a certain Wonder (I believe the World Trade Centre, or was it that other building) without a firm base.

I´ve run out of options right now. Now try to think logical and find some probable resources / luxuries.
Old June 14, 2001, 09:05   #4
Provost Harrison
Deity

Yes, I've heard rubber mentioned before on civ2. But the other thing is whether you need so many different resources when not required. For example bauxite. Although this would be interesting, a resource that would become available on the discovery of electricity for example (you can then electrolytically extract aluminium from it). But then again, you also need another aluminium mineral, cryolite, for extraction as well...you see how you could overcomplicate things?

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 14, 2001, 09:10   #5
C. Gerhardt
Chieftain

Nevertheless, you need bauxiet as a main material for the construction of airplanes.

You dont need all the resources for correctly making the materials.
Old June 14, 2001, 09:51   #6
C. Gerhardt
Chieftain

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...261-30,00.html

Check out the upper rght corner and tell us what you can see here
Old June 14, 2001, 10:17   #7
Grumbold
Emperor

I believe that picture is an artists impression rather than a screenshot of the working game. There are ghost images of roads and railways, the units in the city are completely different timescale to the tanks and biplane on the map, etc. I don't think we can infer much about resources definitely in the game from that picture.
Old June 14, 2001, 10:18   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 05:51
what i see in upper right, going left to right.
[list=1][*]Deer[*]Elephant[*]Fish[*]Cattle[*]Silver[*]Gold[*]Wheat[*]Wine[*]steel?[*]bronze?[*]??[*]paper?[*]??[*]silk[*]chocolate?[/list=1]
Old June 14, 2001, 10:21   #9
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 04:51
Good gracious, the sixteen specials!

deer (game), ivory, fish, cattle, gems, ???, wheat, wine,
silver?, gold, coal, spice, paper?, dye, textiles, ???

I remember seeing some tire-like specials in a forest in a screenshot. Could be rubber, could have just been poor resolution image of something else... Are there only 16, or is this a best guess based on CivII?

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old June 14, 2001, 10:34   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

http://www.strategyplanet.com/civili...ges/shot35.jpg

there are some luxuries on both sides.

Ivory (elephants i guess)
Diamonds

Dye
Insence
Silk

so im updating my list.
[list=1][*]Deer[*]IVORY[*]Fish[*]Cattle[*]Silver[*]Gold[*]Wheat[*]Wine[*]DIAMONDS[*]?[*]Bronze (yes i know its not a fawking natural thing)[*]Spices[*]Paper?[*]?[*]Silk[*]Incense[/list=1]
Old June 14, 2001, 10:47   #11
cyril25376
Warlord

Local Time: 12:51
I think oil and uranium are also included
Old June 14, 2001, 12:46   #12
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i know for a fact rubber, steel, and oil are in, because one review said you needed all three to build a tank.

uranium is in becuase i remember nukes need it.

what about wood? or is that just an "assumed" resource?
Old June 14, 2001, 18:33   #13
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 10:51
Incense? It seems like we will have Monks in CivIII...

or will it be used to make temples and crusaders?

-These questions and more answered (AFTER THE BREAK!)
Old June 14, 2001, 20:03   #14
SerapisIV
King

I don't know if the top left resource is deer. What kind of resource is that? Increased food? I would guess its a horse. We've seen horses on the regular game map, maybe its an old bmp of the horse resource, horses have been valuable since ancient times in the Old World. As soon as the Spanish landed, the Plains Indians quickly took advatage of them as well. Hopefully the bmp will change though, thats one ugly horse.

Here's a link to Firaxis' site which shows horses next to Berlin, a city in the lower left.

Firaxis Screenshot
Old June 14, 2001, 23:01   #15
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
I don't know if the top left resource is deer. What kind of resource is that? Increased food? I would guess its a horse. We've seen horses on the regular game map, maybe its an old bmp of the horse resource, horses have been valuable since ancient times in the Old World. As soon as the Spanish landed, the Plains Indians quickly took advatage of them as well. Hopefully the bmp will change though, thats one ugly horse.

Here's a link to Firaxis' site which shows horses next to Berlin, a city in the lower left.

Firaxis Screenshot
Heres the Baltimore screen. Notice the 'horse' you're speaking of next to the elephant.

I'm pretty sure thats a llama. Those were pretty important in South American countries I hear.

Ioanes
Old June 15, 2001, 05:20   #16
Provost Harrison
Deity

Look closely at number 5. It is definitely diamonds, not silver. I think 2 (bottom) is gold, so quite what 6 (top) is. I think all these are luxury goods so I doubt it is bronze (as iron or oil or coal are absent). But I think these ones are only luxuries (although some of these foods, are they luxuries?). Top left is definitely a deer, it is different to the horse resources seen.

Now what is the bottom left luxury resource (shown in the bottom luxuries bar as well). Perhaps salt?

I dunno about you, but seeing all these resources and thinking about trading them is making me all excited

Old June 17, 2001, 07:56   #17
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 20:51
im looking forward to the wars to be fought over access to these resources....

instead of totally unjustified wars that most civ 2 game sbecame , we now will hav ejsut cause to invade when the asking price for certain commodites becomes too high ...
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old June 17, 2001, 08:02   #18
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin

instead of totally unjustified wars that most civ 2 game sbecame , we now will hav ejsut cause to invade when the asking price for certain commodites becomes too high ...
Let greed be deadly I like your idea.....
Old June 17, 2001, 08:34   #19
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin

Not only that. Now there are some powerful "alternative warfare" options included. The AI can now establish resource-pacts and/or trade-pacts against you. Both economy and resources has been tied up with warfare in Civ-3, so you cannot more or less ignore such pacts, as you often could in Civ-2.
You can counteract this by having at least 1-2 trusty allies at you side and/or converting to nationalism > war-economy. Your "trusty" ally starts however to recognize his pivotal role here. Perhaps he wants to "sweeten the deal" somewhat in order to continue the treaty.

Last edited by Ralf; June 17, 2001 at 08:45.
Old June 17, 2001, 08:59   #20
Footie Mad
Prince

Imagine controlling all the Uranium and being the only one with nukes, now there's an ace up your sleeve
Old June 17, 2001, 10:38   #21
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 20:51
makes the game so much mroe realistic, one of the main reasons Japan foolishly attacked US in WW2 was the oil embargo emplaced upon them by the US .. Japan had no access to the oil its people needed so only response likley was full attack....

i can see limited wars fought just to prevent monopolies forming or even one civ getting too much of any one commodity such as Iraq invading Kuwait and then US reaction to that...

Ahhhh MP games are looking very interesting in Civ 3 ...
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old June 17, 2001, 17:21   #22
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i think the deer is "pelts" or "hides", based on civ 2 resources.

and WHAT THE HELL is that pointy thing near hannover in the above shots?
Old June 17, 2001, 18:30   #23
me_irate
Warlord

I believe the Incense is a luxury. This will increase hapiness in the city i believe. As will ivory, silver, gold, wine, diamonds, spices, paper and silk. Actually all of those reasorses in the list might be luxuries. and the actual resourses to build things might be shown elsewhere on the screen or when you open the build que. Also the list of luxuries can be found at the bottom of the screen, but i believe that this list is scrollable as some are missing such as elephants and wine. another thing i noticed is that the luxuries show are just the bottom of the two rows of resources, so maybe the top row is resources and the bottom row is luxuries, however wine and diamonds are on the top and are clearly luxuries.
Old June 17, 2001, 19:13   #24
SerapisIV
King

Well the Baltimore screenshot does show something that looks like a deer, but remember that that is the oldest screenshot we've seen. The Firaxis screenshots however definitely show a resource that looks like a horse (on the map, not a city-screen). I would trust these more because Firaxis knows better then to release screenshots that are too far from the final build, especially in terms of graphics.

No lets think about the pros and cons of horses and deer.

Deer...most likely as Uber said, hides ala Civ2. A luxury item, probably not much more.

Horses...backbone of rapid transportation. Without horses, how can you have cavalry or chariots? We know that units like tanks will require iron and rubber resources, why skip a very easy resource, horses themselves? It would be a great economic factor. In North and South America there were no horses till the Spanish arrived, because of which rivers were the only means of rapid transit.

Horses would be a great economic resource, deer...kinda iffy in my opinion. Besides, using Firaxis' own screenshots is the final nail in the coffin in my opinion proving horses as an actual resource.
Old June 17, 2001, 19:18   #25
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
Well the Baltimore screenshot does show something that looks like a deer, but remember that that is the oldest screenshot we've seen. The Firaxis screenshots however definitely show a resource that looks like a horse (on the map, not a city-screen). I would trust these more because Firaxis knows better then to release screenshots that are too far from the final build, especially in terms of graphics.

No lets think about the pros and cons of horses and deer.

Deer...most likely as Uber said, hides ala Civ2. A luxury item, probably not much more.

Horses...backbone of rapid transportation. Without horses, how can you have cavalry or chariots? We know that units like tanks will require iron and rubber resources, why skip a very easy resource, horses themselves? It would be a great economic factor. In North and South America there were no horses till the Spanish arrived, because of which rivers were the only means of rapid transit.

Horses would be a great economic resource, deer...kinda iffy in my opinion. Besides, using Firaxis' own screenshots is the final nail in the coffin in my opinion proving horses as an actual resource.
Anyone played Colonization? Everything is coming back to me now.....first making the muskets..then breeding the horses. Those were truely the days
Old August 12, 2001, 08:02   #26
Provost Harrison
Deity

*bump*

Well looking at one of the screenshots, I noticed that the Babylonian empire is connected to cattle, but it certainly doesn't show up as a luxury as someone has mentioned in this thread previously. So I expect that cattle could provide a food/resource bonus (meat and leather products) on any square that possesses it. It could also be an important military resource: leather. Probably essential in the creation of ancient archers/bowmen and many types of armour!

Old August 12, 2001, 09:41   #27
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Remember, there are three kinds of resources. Special Resources, Luxuries, and "Bonus Resources" that act a lot like the old Civ2 special tiles. I'm guessing Deer and Fish, for instance, are this kind of resource.
Old August 12, 2001, 09:44   #28
Draco aka Se7eN
Chieftain

THE DEAR IS A NEW TYPE OF ANIMAL DISCOVERED ! ! !

IM NOT KIDDING ! ! !

ITS THE SID MEIER ANIMAL ! ! !

awww isnt he cute, lets pet him, but be carefull not to pet him too hard, hey may bite your hand off