Old June 14, 2001, 12:24   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 10:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sea Depth Bonuses
At different depths; submarines and frigates had different powers in real life.

Thus, when the sea is 23,000 fathoms deep, the sub's attack should increase +10 versus a sub that is 21,000 fathoms deep above it.

This layering would allow someone to stack 7 units on top of each other, and, hwen in battle, have them fight each other at different times as the subs join battle at different times.
Old June 14, 2001, 12:44   #2
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 05:52
I think it would be too complex. Such a system would parallel such issues as high altitude bombing and other altitude questions. I think its too wargame-sims like, i prefer the simplicity of just having them hard to see.

A big boost I would like though is the AI not being able to see the subs, like in SMAC and Civ2, kinda defeated the purpose of having them if the AI can see them anyway.
Old June 14, 2001, 17:00   #3
joseph1944

Re: Sea Depth Bonuses
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
At different depths; submarines and frigates had different powers in real life.

Thus, when the sea is 23,000 fathoms deep, the sub's attack should increase +10 versus a sub that is 21,000 fathoms deep above it.

This layering would allow someone to stack 7 units on top of each other, and, when in battle, have them fight each other at different times as the subs join battle at different times.
DarkCloud the Mariana Trench is only 6,033 (36,198 feet) fathoms and is the deepest part of any ocean. Your ocean would be 138,000 feet deep.
The layer in the ocean are used to hide from one another and has no bearing whether or not you are capable of shooting one another. As long as a Sub can hear his target, he can fired a torpedo at the target. After a preset time the torpedo will go active and track the targer by it self unless it is wire guided.

Old June 14, 2001, 17:40   #4
Ralf
King

Local Time: 11:52
Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
I think it would be too complex. Such a system would parallel such issues as high altitude bombing and other altitude questions. I think its too wargame-sims like, i prefer the simplicity of just having them hard to see.
I certainly agree. And for what? To accommodate 3 unit-types alone (the submarine, the bomber & the fighter) for a rather short time/era limited part of the game? Besides; Civ isnt C&C, and it never will be.

Ask yourself: would the added complexity really meet up with added fun & gameplay? Also check out what style of gameplay most civers actually prefers: Poll: What style of gameplay do you prefer?.
Old June 15, 2001, 06:49   #5
Jarouik
Warlord

Local Time: 12:52
Yes, this sounds too complicated and specific to be included as a feature in a game which essentially is not a battle simulator but deals with a grander scale instead...

However, the thing the heading of thread, Sea Depth Bonuses, brought to my mind was just that deep sea squares perhaps should provide your cities with different amount of food/trade/shields than continental shelves, if there will be two different types of ocean terrain in the game - I think these kinds of simple tweaks and additions to the resource/economy model of the game are more essential than a new set of rules and ocean depths for a single unit at the end of the game. Of course, it all depends on your interests and playing style.