Old June 14, 2001, 15:18   #1
polypheus
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Zero-Player Option
Many strategy games allow a zero-player option in which only the computer players play each other.

I would like Civ3 to have such a zero-player option.

Sometimes its fun just to sit back and watch the computer players duke it out and see how it all turns out.

This is especially good for situations in which there is no point of playing further but you still want to see how the history of your world will continue to develop even after you've decided to cease actively playing.

It is also good for scenario development.

It should be quite easy to implement and with sufficient options you could view as much or as little detail as you wish so that it doesn't become too tedious to watch.

Old June 14, 2001, 15:52   #2
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 11:52
YES, I think everyone has thought of this and when you're just to damn tired to play just sit back and watch the rise and fall of civilizations
Old June 14, 2001, 16:36   #3
Ralf
King

Re: Zero-Player Option
Quote:
Originally posted by polypheus
Many strategy games allow a zero-player option in which only the computer players play each other.

I would like Civ3 to have such a zero-player option.
Yes, why not? Im all for it. It would be the lazy players option to scenario-building.

You should be able to determine certain pause/save dates/turns; or stop playing/saving each 20, 50, 100 turn (or whatever). Or manually intervene when ever you like. Or switching side with a chosen AI-civ. It would be fun.
Old June 14, 2001, 17:57   #4
samurai
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:52
Re: Re: Zero-Player Option
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf

You should be able to determine certain pause/save dates/turns; or stop playing/saving each 20, 50, 100 turn (or whatever). Or manually intervene when ever you like. Or switching side with a chosen AI-civ. It would be fun.
In other words, just play God for a little while.
Not an extremely good idea, but why not. Could be fun sometimes
Old June 14, 2001, 18:29   #5
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

This would be an interesting option; but only if the AI was beefed up a bit.
Old June 14, 2001, 20:20   #6
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

I remeber trying this in Civ2, but it was depressing and boring watching the AI make feeble attacks with no chances of taking any cities. The only bit that was interesting to watch was the early game (when barbs could capture cities etc ). If the AI was improved so it could actually make decent attacks, etc. then this is a good option to include.
Old June 14, 2001, 21:27   #7
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 20:52
Quote:
Sorry, i don't like it, it's just not the kind of thing you would have in a civ game.
Old June 15, 2001, 06:36   #8
Jarouik
Warlord

Local Time: 12:52
Quote:
Originally posted by DrFell
I remeber trying this in Civ2, but it was depressing and boring watching the AI make feeble attacks with no chances of taking any cities. The only bit that was interesting to watch was the early game (when barbs could capture cities etc ). If the AI was improved so it could actually make decent attacks, etc. then this is a good option to include.
That is true... on a particularly boring day at work (which I am luckily finishing soon and getting back to study), I actually watched the computer play Civ2 for hours on a huge map. It is otherwise interesting, but the AI really won't found enough cities even if it there was lots of area all around its capital to expand to, and the AI attacks looked downright horrible. By the end of the day, the fundamentalist French had literally hundreds of Riflemen and a couple of dozen Cavalry units moving around the map every turn, but they only managed to capture an occasional city every now and then, always attacking with only a couple of units per turn and moving the others aimlessly along their railroads. I hope the AI will be greatly improved, but even if it isn't, the option to let the computer play all of the Civs in a scenario creator or cheat mode is sometimes so fun it should be included.
Old June 15, 2001, 16:12   #9
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 06:52
I would really like to see this feature implemented too. I would also like the ability to greatly speed up the moves under such an option, in order to be able to run through the same scenario a hundred times in, say, 3-4 hours. I know you could watch computer players play in Civ II by using the cheat menu the right way, but it got to be a pain.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 15, 2001, 16:40   #10
b&i_c
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:52
I don't really make scenarios, but I think it would be nice just to have that, except have the game go a little slower so you could actually watch what is happening.
This could also be useful in watching what tactics work, and what don't, since you could watch it on Deity level.
Old June 15, 2001, 19:46   #11
Ilkuul
Prince

I agree, I think this would be an excellent option to have -- not only for enjoyment (IF the AI is significantly improved!), but also to improve one's own tactics by observing what the AI does.

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".
Old June 16, 2001, 00:05   #12
Sean
Prince

Sitting down in front of the computer to watch the AI play civ isn't exactly my idea of fun...and I doubt that you could learn much either.

However, just because I wouldn't do it, doesn't mean others wouldn't. As such, I have no good reason to argue against this option be included in the game, (unless it takes up too much space etc).
Old June 16, 2001, 03:00   #13
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean
Sitting down in front of the computer to watch the AI play civ isn't exactly my idea of fun.
Why should one do that? My idea is to leave the computer alone, while I do other things. This feature should be used more like a advanced screensaver. When you come back from time to time; press the pause/stop command, in order to check up the current status. I agree of course that everything stands-and-falls with the quality of the AI.
Old June 16, 2001, 08:02   #14
Ilkuul
Prince

Yes, I like that screensaver idea! Especially if they have a political map (with different colours for the territory of the various civs): I'd then do a maximum zoom-out, go off and have a cup of coffee (or work in another program), and come back to see how the borders had expanded or contracted... Nice.
Old June 16, 2001, 08:33   #15
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Congratualtions, you've just invented the game that plays for you
All you need to do is look at the results from time to time

LOL

I realize this wasn't what you intended and I am actually for the idea but still
Old June 16, 2001, 10:48   #16
Myrddin
Warlord

I'm sure that Firaxis have thought of this, as it is the fastest way for them to check the game balance for AI and special units
Old June 16, 2001, 13:08   #17
MORON
Prince

Local Time: 18:52
yes

Yes

YES

YES

JUST PUT IT IN. IT CAN'T HURT
Old June 16, 2001, 16:56   #18
TechWins
King

Local Time: 03:52
What the hell put it in. As long as it doens't slow the release date down. I mean if the game could come out in early October without it and with it the game would come out 3 weeks later, I don't want it. Maybe if just one week later or the same time I say why not. I'm sure it wouldn't take that much time to implement this either.

Those dates are just hypothetical.
Old June 17, 2001, 01:19   #19
MidKnight Lament
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Myrddin
I'm sure that Firaxis have thought of this, as it is the fastest way for them to check the game balance for AI and special units
I heartily agree.
Old June 17, 2001, 06:37   #20
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

just not very useful as the Ai has never been clever enough... although you could use it as an easy way to learn how AI plays and then use that agaisnt them
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old June 17, 2001, 09:15   #21
JosefGiven
Warlord

eh?
Quote:
Originally posted by Jarouik ...I actually watched the computer play Civ2 for hours on a huge map...
Hang on, how do you actually do that? Are you talking about Civ II? I can't think of a way you could start a zero-player game...What do you have to do?
Old June 17, 2001, 10:22   #22
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Re: eh?
Quote:
Originally posted by JosefGiven

Hang on, how do you actually do that? Are you talking about Civ II? I can't think of a way you could start a zero-player game...What do you have to do?
Start a new game, activate cheat mode and the go to chose human player anbd pick:
No Human player (if you manage this right you can controll the barbarians for a different guerrila like game!).
Old June 19, 2001, 03:54   #23
Jarouik
Warlord

Re: Re: eh?
Quote:
Originally posted by Henrik
Start a new game, activate cheat mode and the go to chose human player anbd pick:
No Human player (if you manage this right you can controll the barbarians for a different guerrila like game!).
Yes, that is the way to do it... there is one feature, though, I would rather live without: the game won't advance from one turn to next automatically, since it will still show you all of the notifications and pop-up boxes for the civilization you had selected before picking No human player. It would be great if the zero-player mode had a pause function, but would otherwise proceed automatically with no clicking needed, so you could run it on the background or while away from your computer. Really, it would make a great screensaver!
Old June 19, 2001, 05:30   #24
Adm.Naismith
King

Re: Re: Re: eh?
Quote:
Originally posted by Jarouik
Really, it would make a great screensaver!
The whole CIV III game as a screensaver?

Man, you should have a real underused Pentium 4 1.7GHz with 256MB of RAM to feel the need of a screensaver so... gorgeous
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old June 19, 2001, 08:18   #25
Jarouik
Warlord

Re: Re: Re: Re: eh?
Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

The whole CIV III game as a screensaver?

Man, you should have a real underused Pentium 4 1.7GHz with 256MB of RAM to feel the need of a screensaver so... gorgeous
Actually, it shouldn't be difficult to do... Firaxis could just include on the cd a small screensaver module that, when triggered, starts up a game in a special zero-player demo mode

(Although it would take a while to start up the game, I agree...)

So perhaps they could have the whole Civ 3 code load into your system memory when you boot the computer, so then you can start a game really quickly whenever you want to, since once you have Civ 3 you will be playing it all the time anyway
Old June 19, 2001, 09:46   #26
eNo
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:52
Quote:
That's what they did to balance SMAC. I remember Firaxis saying that they just taped down the enter key and left the computer running while they ate lunch and stuff.
Old June 20, 2001, 12:06   #27
Tssha
Settler

Local Time: 05:52
You know what would be really cool, is if you could do this for scenarios. Just grab some popcorn and watch the nazi's march across europe. Then watch the allies kick their butts.

It would also be cool to be able to record a no human player game, that way you could watch your favourite campaigns over and over. It would also be useful for finding out the AI's mistakes, and analyzing them in depth.