Old June 14, 2001, 20:14   #1
Gazablanca
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Idea:Conscription
I don't know how to mod CTP2,but I had an idea pop into my head recently which I hope the modders among you may know how to implement it into the game.

Basically,conscription.

During the World Wars,conscription of a country's people into the armed forces was vital to have a large military,and especially during these conflicts.My idea is to have an option only accessible in the Modern Age to convert population units into military units,which can be used as normal.For instance,if a civ was really desperate for a large military presence at War time,population unitswould be knocked off the civ's cities and turned into Artillery,Machine Gunners,etc.This option could only be used once in the Modern Age as it may give civs a helluva advantage but I think if a mod could be designed around the conscription idea it could add some realism to fighting in the modern age........

So what d'ya think????I'd appreciate your comments on if and how this mod can be done.As I said,I'm not a modder,but I'd love to see this idea implemented.........

Cheers,

Gazablanca.
Old June 17, 2001, 19:07   #2
Cube
Warlord

Local Time: 03:52
conscription requirements
In order to have conscription in the game you would need to have a conscription advance in the modern age. It would also require a button on the military managent screen to allow conscription. This button would work only during war. You would also need to know what percentage of your population is eligible for conscription, and you would need to have a maximum percentage of people that can be conscripted depending on the type of government. You would also need to be able to decided what each population point become, like machine gunner, artillery, tank, batleship(which I think would require 2 or 3 pop points), destroyer, submarine, fighter, bomber, etc. Of course when one of these units dies you will get war discontent and won't be able to get back a pop point. When the war is over the units would be disbanded automatically and you would get pop points back in the city they came from, so you would need to be able to track which city each unit came from. I don't know anything about slic so I can't do this. I do know that the settler take away one point when it's built so this might be a place to start. The conscription button would need slic in order to work. I have no idea how you would make the percentage of people eligible for conscription and the percent allowed to be conscripted , but I think you would need a different window. I also have no idea how to get the population points once you disable conscription.
Old June 17, 2001, 19:21   #3
Gazablanca
Chieftain

I was thinking maybe a second nationalism-type advance,or maybe even the conscription option indoctrinated into the first nationalism advance.Thanks for your comments anyway,you've masde some really good points(especially military units being demobbed and converted back into population units)
Old June 18, 2001, 07:59   #4
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 11:52
The easiest way to do this would be to to make a "conscript" unit, which is really cheap, but has the line "BuildingRemovesAPop" in it, so that it makes the city population go down, like a settler would.
Old June 19, 2001, 21:26   #5
Cube
Warlord

Local Time: 03:52
that would remove one population point, but how would you get it back? I was thinking of making a different unit list that includes units from the morn age one, but has the remove pop line on each one. If a conscription button is created, it will switch over to the new unit list when it's clicked. The units would also cost significantly less so they can be built quicker. After that we would need to find a way to get the population back.
Old June 19, 2001, 21:46   #6
ENGINEER
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:22
Well the settler unit can be added back to cities under a certain population in the Med Mod II. What ever they did to allow that just increase the limit on the population of the city. Would that work? I can't remember if it's in the texts or a slic file.
Old June 20, 2001, 04:55   #7
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 11:52
Getting the population back shouldn't be a problem.
At every DisbandUnit order, look to see if the unit is a conscript, then look to see if it is in a city. If it is in a city, then add a population point to that city.
Old June 27, 2001, 01:37   #8
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:52
One thing I thought about months ago when I was brainstorming was to have military units take away a part of a pop. It would be nice if there was code so that you could specify a part of a pop to remove. I feel sure that the AI would not know how to handle this, however, and that the conscription idea proposed here would only be feasible for the human. The idea is nice, but the game is just not designed for it, I am afraid.
Old June 29, 2001, 15:37   #9
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Conscription sounds like a worthy idea for an add-on to the game... the idea is sound.