Old June 15, 2001, 06:54   #1
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 12:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Firaxis: civilization specific units to selfmade civs?
This is one thing I think we should get Firaxis to answer:

Will there be possible to make civilization specific units, like to the regular civs, to selfmade civs?
If so, how?
Could there be a "pool" or something where we could pick them?(not to scenarios, calm down you scenario editors)
Or will there be any units at all?
What do you other here think?
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old June 17, 2001, 06:54   #2
Nikolai
Deity

BUMP...

(I hope this is allowed, I have seen it in the ither forums )
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Old June 17, 2001, 06:59   #3
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 20:53
i hate civ specific units
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old June 17, 2001, 10:52   #4
Nikolai
Deity

You can't really hate them when you don't know exactly what they are? Anyway, what is your opinion on this?
Old June 17, 2001, 11:06   #5
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 20:53
I dont care what they actually are, i hate any civ specific units, every civ should access to the same units, unless its a scenario !1
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old June 18, 2001, 11:47   #6
Nikolai
Deity

Well, that is your view, I can't do anything about that...!
But for you others out there: What do you think?
And Firaxis: What do You ( ) think?
Old June 18, 2001, 12:51   #7
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 11:53
The scenario tools will definitely include the ability to create units and fit them with animated or flat images so I see no reason why they cannot be given as unique units to custom civs. Thats exactly what mod-makers will want. Heck, if you look at CtP2 that is exactly what WesW and others have achieved with Med Mod II. Revised tech tree, revised units including in-game uniques, new government types, improved AI, improved diplomacy, the works. If Civ-3 proves less modifiable then it will be a disappointment.
Old June 18, 2001, 13:07   #8
Your.Master
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:53
I expect they'll make you choose between already-existing leaders to transplant into your civ. Otherwise, they might give you free reign over the powers and rely on you to decide if powergaming or undergaming is more fun. But I expect the first to be true.

I, personally, don't like the idea of civ-specific units. That's what the tech tree is all about, any civ can make any unit if it knows how. This is unbalancing (it's hard to equalize unique units) and unrealistic. I will probably spend most games with the specific units feature turned off.

I could only like it if it wasn't so-much civ-specific as only one civ can build it: The one who built the wonder/the one who originally discovered the tech/one under a specific government, with a specific culture rating etc.

High Lord of Good

You are unique, just like everybody else.
Old June 19, 2001, 09:31   #9
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:53
I like civ specific units, but I want to see it on a large scale. Each civ should have a specific unit for every level of technology. I think with major civ advances there should be minor ones as well. The Bolt-Action Rifle, case in point. Sure you've discovered conscription, but you still have muskets. Then the Rifleman units would be different for each Civ's level of knowledge. That brings up another topic, weapons as commodities. Only a handful of countries actually produce weapons. Iraq does not own any munitions factories, yet Iraq's armies have lots of guns. Why? Because they buy them.

Certain advances should be out of the tree all together and should be researched simultaneously as other techs. Or perhaps researched by buildings, a la AOE and Starcraft/Warcraft.