Old June 20, 2001, 11:45   #31
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 02:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Maybe Bridge Building requires Iron Working, not because the bridges themselves are made out of iron, but because the enormous task of shaping and moving the stone blocks requires iron tools.
Old June 20, 2001, 11:46   #32
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 11:53
The Middle Ages tech screenshot here starts with engineering, which would probably need the construction advance prerequisite, so that would make sense.
Old June 20, 2001, 17:21   #33
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 06:53
I think that the tech at the bottom of the fourth column may well be Monarchy, and also that the sole tech in the fifth column is probably Construction. I've just put up a page with a hypothetical version of the Ancient Times tech tree on it. It encapsulates all the information we have at this time on a single diagram. When and if more ideas come to light, it will be updated. Does anyone know what the colours above the techs represent? They don't really seem to break down nicely into the Civ II categories of Social/Economic/Military/Pure Science, and I think that grey may be a placeholder, as so many of the techs are grey.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 20, 2001, 18:24   #34
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Actually you are quite right KrazyHorse. I missed that one when looking through all the techs, and it certainly looks like Monarchy if you ask me, so that is my query sorted out

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 20, 2001, 19:54   #35
Kestrel
Warlord

Local Time: 10:53
Quote:
I dont' know if it is there but a modern age tech advance should be cell phones.
However, prior to any "Cell Phone" technological advance I vote for the "Telephone" (or "Telephone Network") advance.

Also "Telephone" would/should be a percursor to Radio (mass production of parts for one allows easier adoption of the other), to "Television", To "Computers", to "The Internet" (hard to connect if there is no network to connect to), to "International Relations" (a la "Hotlines" to allow urgent / immediate diplomacy prior to declaring war or launching those missiles ) and such an advance would make control of troops in distant parts easier and also business & trade more efficient.
Old June 21, 2001, 05:02   #36
ImPeRaDoR
Settler

Re: Re: List of technologies in the game
Quote:
Originally posted by Minimus

Thanks, I was beginning to be afraid of Music Theory
Anyway, there is still reason to fear Highlanders armed with bagpipes as the Scottish special unit
There should be a special unit for Portuguese and Spanish, such as the Caravel for exploration, since they were the only two nations in the world that divided the world in two pieces for them both.

Paul
Old June 21, 2001, 05:15   #37
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Actually Imperador, you may be on to something there, perhaps one of the Spanish special units could be a caravel? Who knows...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 21, 2001, 11:00   #38
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 12:53
Quote:
Originally posted by phix
The Greeks came up with the idea of the Republic. Very similar to Democracy, but not quite. Democracy "evolved" out of the Republic.
No, that's not true. Most greek city had very restricted "aristocratic democracies" (similar to rome), what one could call republic. Athenian democracy though was a direct and even radical democracy. Of course the many strangers in Athens were not allowed to vote, neither did slaves or women. But that does not make the difference between a democracy and a republic. OK, slavery is abolished nowadayws and women are allowed to vote, immigrants without citizenship still don't. And right at the beginning of american "democracy", no women or slaves were allowed to vote, right?

The major problem in antiquity was that this system could only work in a city state, where people could unite at the marketplace and not in the territorial states later on.
Old June 21, 2001, 11:04   #39
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 12:53
Did they really again put the alphabet before writing? That's so ridiculous...
Old June 21, 2001, 11:27   #40
Tssha
Settler

Local Time: 05:53
Well gee, I would think that you would need letters before you could write. I'm using letters right now. I might be able to post without letters, but that would be very messy.
Old June 21, 2001, 11:33   #41
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Wernazuma III
Did they really again put the alphabet before writing? That's so ridiculous...
I personally think that it reads "Linguistics" or "Language" I only included the possibility of "I.Alphabet" here because Provost Harrison seemed to think this is what it say. Decide for yourself by going here.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 23, 2001, 03:58   #42
ImPeRaDoR
Settler

Hi again,

Emperor if there should be a special unit, it might be wise to put the Caravel to the Portuguese People. The Caravel is a small navy invented/made by Portuguese. The Spanish could have a equivilant unit, the 'Spanish Nau' or other alike...

My point here is the the Caravel is one of the major simbols of the Portuguese People.

Hope they still have the wonder of 'Fernando Magalhes' a great Portuguese discoverer.

Note to everyone that might not no history: Portugal IS NOT Spain. By the way, Portugal is one of the oldest countries in Europe...
Old June 24, 2001, 16:04   #43
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

We had already surmised that the colours were to indicate your progress through the tech-tree. Looking at the screenshot, note that no grey techs is connected only to a blue tech. Note that all the orange and blue techs are on the left side of the screen, and that all the green techs are needed (and are the only ones needed, with the exception of the one blue tech) for the final green tech.

Thus, my guess is:

Blue - Already Obtained
Orange - Available for research (All pre-reqs known)
Grey - Unknown and Unavailable (1 or more pre-reqs unknown)
Green - Needed to reach a specified tech

If you remember, just before that shot, the developer had said he'd do something like "Head for Construction" - I think that's what the greens are doing.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old June 24, 2001, 16:29   #44
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ImPeRaDoR
Hi again,

Emperor if there should be a special unit, it might be wise to put the Caravel to the Portuguese People.
It's truly doubtful that Portugal's even going into the game as one of the16. No slur on Portugal, since for a century or so it was extremely important in world history, but nevertheless...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 27, 2001, 08:26   #45
BigRich
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Earwicker
Glad to see that there are some new technologies reflecting the importance of artistic development to the strength of a civilization. I'll be interested to see what buildings/ Wonders/ units will be associated with some of these advances.

Music Theory a prerequisite to Radio?
Possibly Music Theory required before you can build J.S Bach's Cathedral? Together with the relevant religious advance.

Rich.
Old June 27, 2001, 19:07   #46
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

are we sure portugal is a civ?

how did they pick portugal and not the vikings?

... whatever ...
Old July 7, 2001, 07:54   #47
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

bridges , and bigger bridges
KEEP bridge building in,
Most areas need bridges to efficiently transport people and goods etc, even over valleys and hilly terrain.
I think bridges MUST be improved in Civ, we should be able to build long suspension bridges with the discovery of Iron Bridges..
Have stone bridges for antiquity that allow just roads to be built over rivers.
Next have iron bridges tech in the early industrial era, allowing railbridges to be built AND wide span bridges over a 1 square ocean sea/estuary.. Be nice if you need this tech to build tracks on mountains (hills too?) .. and if a requirement is Explosives, you can simulate the uses of tunnels as well.

I've just come from france , we were at the Massif Central a mountain range, and there were lots of small mountain roads, bridges and tunnels to navigate the valleys and cliffsides. I was also impressed by the large amount of viaducts on the South mediterranean coast.. allowing the fast TGV trains to travel unhindered and road bridges across river mouths.

As long as some improvements to bridges and tunnels are done, I'll be well happy.

Recovering from the late flight, damn Italian airport strikes affected things.. Nationalism tech should cancel out the Labour union tech or something :P

Peter T
Empire of the Pomme de Terre
Old July 7, 2001, 12:42   #48
shum00
Chieftain

This must have been missed somehow... but here's Steam Power
http://www.apolyton.com/civ3/images/...ts/image18.jpg
Old July 8, 2001, 10:10   #49
S. Kroeze
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Tssha
Well gee, I would think that you would need letters before you could write. I'm using letters right now. I might be able to post without letters, but that would be very messy.
Did you ever receive any education?

When the answer is affirmative, I would advise you to look up in a dictionary -I hope you own one- the word 'pictogram' and to compare it with the description for the idea 'letter'.
Did you ever closely look at Chinese writing or at Egyptian hieroglyphs?