Old June 15, 2001, 19:46   #1
polypheus
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Birth of New Civs from Barbarian Cities
It is confirmed that barbarians will have their own cities. However, it would be good if over time, some barbarians cities can transform into a full fledge civilization. In order for them to have a viable start, they should inherit all of the techs of their neighboring Civs and have some of their military units convert to settlers so they could start a few cities right away.

This idea, combined with the birth of new Civs from older Civs through revolts (discussed a couple of other threads) will then make Civ3 as historically realistic as possible and permit Civ3 to simulate the "rise and fall of nations" phenomenon well.
Old June 15, 2001, 19:57   #2
Ilkuul
Prince

Local Time: 10:53
This is something I've been talking about and wanting for some time! But it all depends on how Firaxis is going to implement minor civs. If these are to have any reality at all, then they will come about in exactly the sort of ways you suggest, and they will truly be independent -- not just the Civ2 barbarians (who never become a proper civ in their own right); and not just conquered cities who end up returning to their original parent civ (i.e. who also don't become a separate civ on their own).

Many people are afraid one or other of the last two options are all that Firaxis have in mind for minor civs -- I certainly hope not!

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".
Old June 16, 2001, 15:09   #3
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 12:53
Having this as one of the options for starting new civs in mid game (a thing which is a must for a dynamic interesting game, but should have an end. ie: no germans reappearing 3 times after I slayed their @ss 3 times.)
would be really cool.

Think about it, the germans and french were raiders on europe. So were the brittons and anglos to england.
Old June 16, 2001, 15:45   #4
Ralf
King

Local Time: 11:53
Re: Birth of New Civs from Barbarian Cities
Quote:
Originally posted by polypheus
It is confirmed that barbarians will have their own cities.
Where have this been confirmed? Whenever stating "Its confirmed"; always add a clickable link to the source.
Old June 16, 2001, 19:05   #5
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

PC Gameplay preview, later reproduced in full on the Gamespot UK website. Look for the "Interview" (Which is really a damn stupid way of trying to rehash the information that was in small boxes in the magazine- I can guarantee those "questions" were added afterwards).

How about ceveral barbarian cities forming the new civ together? They supposedly squash up as the game progresses...
Old June 17, 2001, 06:39   #6
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

From the interview(Jeff Briggs reveals all ):

Quote:
GSUK: Will we see the return of the barbarian hordes?

Barbarians now work in a totally different way. In this game barbarians have cities, like all the other civs. And they originate from these cities and make raids. Sometimes building roads can be really hard because there are barbarians out there that constantly attack you. Each time you destroy a barbarian town, it will respawn itself in an area of the map that you can't currently see. So what you have to try to do is set up a situation where you can see as much of the map as possible so that you can keep pushing them back.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old June 17, 2001, 06:42   #7
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 20:53
i like the sound of this... will this also remove barb attacks from sea ???
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old June 17, 2001, 06:46   #8
Nikolai
Deity

The interview didn't say anything on that.
It had been fine to know, but I guess the information will come!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Old June 17, 2001, 07:04   #9
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

perhpas you will need to set up some sort of naval watch over oceans to prevent barb ships attacking
Old June 17, 2001, 08:57   #10
Office_Fox
Settler

I think barbarian civs which form from captured citys are a great idea. Just as long as they don`t all turn into the same 'barbarian civ', if you knw what I mean.

In history, almost all the civs around today could be attributed to barbarians capturing citys in civ terms. European countrys are the result of germanic 'barbarians' capturing areas of france and england. America is the result of a 'peasant uprising' capyuring all the citys on north america.

So, in addition to any revolt and civil war sections, barbarians would be great.
Old June 17, 2001, 13:46   #11
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Office_Fox
. European countrys are the result of germanic 'barbarians' capturing areas of france and england. America is the result of a 'peasant uprising' capyuring all the citys on north america.
no wonder those areas so full of barbarians today

Old June 18, 2001, 12:05   #12
Nikolai
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin

no wonder those areas so full of barbarians today

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the !!!

I'm living in Europe! I'm not a barbarian! I'm a cultivated person!

OK. I'm all right now. Just don't call me a barbarian, or I will bring my sword and stones, and I will...oh,...just forget it...
Old June 18, 2001, 12:17   #13
b&i_c
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:53
I think that will be awesome. Barbarians might actually be a force to deal with now . I don't really think barbarians should just randomly appear in the sea, I think that a barbarian city on the coast should have to make the boats.
Old June 18, 2001, 12:56   #14
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:53
This sounds great! Will it be possible to add barbarian cities to your empire? I have an idea for two features that would make Civ 3 more realistic: When you defeat a barbarian city it could be added to your empire, or it could be destroyed, but it's citizens added to your empire, either in the form af a new settler, or its population just added to your nearest city.
Old June 18, 2001, 13:02   #15
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 18:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
This sounds great! Will it be possible to add barbarian cities to your empire? I have an idea for two features that would make Civ 3 more realistic: When you defeat a barbarian city it could be added to your empire, or it could be destroyed, but it's citizens added to your empire, either in the form af a new settler, or its population just added to your nearest city.
We are the Borg, we will assimilate you.

You know in ctp2 i once saw a babarian city complete building the great pyramids....

will the babarians in civ III be civilized as well?
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon