Old June 16, 2001, 14:33   #1
Masis
Warlord

Local Time: 10:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Age Of Basilius
Not to be confused with it's sequel AGE OF ALEXIUS.

I decided to create this new thread to allow this scenario to be given its own feedback seperate from AoA.

Version 1 is finished and has been sent of to The European Civilization II Site , Das Civilization Universum , The Spanish Civilization II Site.

Many thanks already to JayBee, Arne (For converting the bmp Title into a gif form), Maciej (For letting me use his Basilius unit and map) and BeBro (for letting me use some of his excellent units) for their help and advice in the fruitition of this Epic scenario.

Your valid opinions await...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	title.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	493  

Last edited by Masis; June 30, 2001 at 08:49.
Old June 16, 2001, 14:40   #2
Masis
Warlord

Another Shot
Here is a shot of the eastern frontier of the Roman Empire 10t to 11th centuries AD-adjoining the kingdom of Armenia with Iberia to its north...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	screenshoteast.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	489  
Old June 16, 2001, 14:44   #3
Masis
Warlord

Yet One More Shot
Here is a shot of that volatile frontier-Bulgaria. This shot is from my game as I have captured the Bulgar capitals of Great Preslav and Okhrid...it is tough even at Akritas (chieftain) level though.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	screenshotnorth.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	490  
Old June 16, 2001, 16:33   #4
Masis
Warlord

One Last Shot
Here is a screenshot of Italia during the 10th-11th centuries AD.
The north is under Frankish control ruled by the Ottonian dynasty.
The south-central is under the rule of Lombard princes.
The far south is under Roman rule, just.

A Dromond is seen patroling the Hadriatic sea...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	screenshotwest.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	494  
Old June 16, 2001, 17:13   #5
kIndal
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 11:54
Re: Another Shot
look nice this screenshots Masis

One question about this quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by Masis
AD-adjoining the kingdom of Armenia with Iberia to its north...
Is there in the West Asia a region called Iberia?? I don´t know if you know that it was the name of....well of the Iberian peninsula, old Spain and Portugal.
Old June 17, 2001, 03:46   #6
Masis
Warlord

Re: Re: Another Shot
Quote:
Originally posted by kIndal
look nice this screenshots Masis

One question about this quote:

Is there in the West Asia a region called Iberia?? I don´t know if you know that it was the name of....well of the Iberian peninsula, old Spain and Portugal.
This question I was expecting...
Yes, it can be confusing for an inhabitant of the Iberian penninsula to learn that there was a kingdom called Iberia. Yet the inhabitants of the penninsula are refered to as Iberians at least around 1600 BC whereas the Caucasian kingdom of Iberia does not appear until aroung the 50's BC. You can make your own guess's as to who came from where-maybe there where Iberians from the penninsula who were transferred by the Romans to the Caucasus??? Anyway to learn a little bit on the Caucasian kingdom of Iberia check this site out. Historically the kingdom of Iberia was tied to Armenia dynastically. Great isn't it? Already this scenario is revealing an epoch of history few knew of!

In case anyone is wondering about the size 1 City Sizes of places like Sienna, Ani or Manazkert it is due to the limitations of memory the computer can handle. These cities are actually a size 5, 4 and 2 respectively. Other cities of size 1-4 have disapeared from the map, even though it is revealed (as by that stage in history the Mediterranean and western Asia was well mapped). Yet those 'missing' cities can be found be sending Merchants to trade with them, otherwise they do not have a major role in the Scenario itself.

Last edited by Masis; June 30, 2001 at 18:37.
Old June 17, 2001, 05:12   #7
Masis
Warlord

Where is the southern frontier?
Here it is, the coastal cities are mostly under Fatimid (a Shi'a Muslim sect) control. To the north Antiokia and Tarsos is under the rule of the Emir of Aleppo...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	screenshotsouth.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	510  
Old June 17, 2001, 06:38   #8
kIndal
Spanish Civers
King

Re: Re: Re: Another Shot
hmmmmmmm.....sound very interesting, which could be the reason????

I ahve openned and new thread in the Spanish civ2 forum for Iberian guys speaks about it.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...527#post342527

As I believe you know a lot about this kingdom you can write.
Old June 17, 2001, 08:40   #9
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

Masis, I´m a little confused with all your new scn and versions of them

which scn do you have available right now??
which one do you recomend?

one thing about Age of Alexius,
negotiation with the Byzantes is allowed, so then they negotiate in the first turn and war with them is inevitable, don´t you think that it would be better if we don´t fight with them??
Old June 17, 2001, 12:50   #10
Masis
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaka Naldur
Masis, I´m a little confused with all your new scn and versions of them

which scn do you have available right now??
which one do you recomend?

one thing about Age of Alexius,
negotiation with the Byzantes is allowed, so then they negotiate in the first turn and war with them is inevitable, don´t you think that it would be better if we don´t fight with them??
At the moment I recomend looking out for Age of Basilius, it should be out on the European Civilization II Site and Das Civilization Universum soon. The Spanish Civilization II Site I can not gaurantee unless AOB proves to be popular then it would be hosted on the BESTONET section.

The current version of Age of Alexius forbids negotiations between civilizations I may be able to e-mail it to you to play.

The Caucasian kingdom of Iberia is a subject I know a little of at the moment. But there is a wealth of knowledge on the internet on this subject if you type the word Georgia/Iberia you should get the relevent information.
Old June 17, 2001, 15:33   #11
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 02:54
This isn't very important
Yes yes, I know this isn't very important, but I yell at EVERY scenario creator for doing this.

Looking at that screenshot of the Bulgarian border there is an error. The barbarian city of "Cluj" should really be named "Kolozsvár". Thats what happens when you use a modern atlas to name cities in historical scenarios. If it weren't for the ****ing romanians raping history , we wouldn't be having this problem.
Old June 17, 2001, 15:54   #12
Masis
Warlord

Apologies
Do not confuse the modern Romania with the real Romania of history which was the official name of the Roman Empire after the reign of Caracalla in the 3rd century AD.
Today's Romania would better be named Dacia.
Using the false word 'Byzanium' is really Raping History. All historical documents reffer to Romania or the Roman Empire. you can find out more Here about the Raping of Roman history.
Check this site out for a comprehensive look at the decline and fall of the Roman Empire/Romania.
Or click on this image for a snippet of Roman History...

Yes, the "Romanian's" are rascist towards the Magyar minority in Transylvania, they like to stereotype them.

Cluj did not feel like a Magyar name, thanks for telling me the correct name. Now tell me how I can rename a barbarian city without the game crashing!
Wonder what Kolozsvár's name was when it was under Bulgar, Avar, Gepid, Roman and Dacian rule respectively?

Last edited by Masis; June 17, 2001 at 16:33.
Old June 17, 2001, 16:18   #13
Masis
Warlord

New Look
Done.
It may also be added that the Magyars got to the Pannonian plain and Transylvania due to invitation by the Roman Empire to attack the Bulgar Khanate which at that time occupied Transylvania around 895AD. The Pannonian plain was part of the Czech kingdom of Great Moravia.
The Romans brought their ships to the Danube to transport the Magyars across into the Pannonian plain. However the Bulgars had the Pechenegs (Patzinaks), who dwelt around the sea of Azov and north Black Sea coastal regions, as their allies and called on them to counter-attack the Magyars which resulted in the Magyars being unable to return to their Steppe homeland (modern Ukraine) and forced them to permanently settle in the Pannonian plain* and Transylvania. It was not really a loss as the Carpathian mountains provided excellent defense from the east. *They destroyed the Czech kingdom of Great Moravia, forcing its remnant the Duchy of Bohemia to seek German protection.
Reading books on the Armenian Diaspora and the Gypsies I learned of some 'Romanian' attitudes towards it's minorities, the attacks on Armenian priests, Catholic priests, other preachers and the lack of rights Gypsies (Romani=real Romans) have which allows for their homes to be burnt down, no wonder they were forced to become nomadic.
It seems that every culture has foreign origins, it is all down to how a culture behaves towards its citizens and its neighbours that decides whether it is rightous or not.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	screenshotnorth.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	525  

Last edited by Masis; June 30, 2001 at 18:56.
Old June 22, 2001, 13:40   #14
Masis
Warlord

City Window
Here is a shot of the City Window for Nea Roma, notice the Mandylion* that now proudly resides in the capitol...
*The Mandylion was said to be a contempory portrait of Jesus Christ, an image sent by Him to king Agbar of Edessa-Agbar was ill and sought the help of Jesus. Yet Christ wrote a letter as well to Agbar easing him in his worries by telling him 'Your Faith has cured you'. The messenger brought back the image where it resided in Edessa until the city was recaptured by the Romans in 1035 by general Iorgos Maniakes and sent to the capitol in triumph.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	window.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	605  
Old June 22, 2001, 18:16   #15
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Superb work, Masis!!!
Old June 29, 2001, 13:46   #16
Masis
Warlord

THE OBJECTIVE
Well, an objective to aim at if you play the Romans is to create the frontiers of the Empire as it was at the time of Basil II's death in 1025AD.
If playing the Iberians you will want to annex Abasgia to create the kingdom of Georgia.
If playing the Armenians you will want to defend your reborn realm.
If playing the Fatimids you will want to destroy all infedels and heretics.
If playing the Buyids fend of the Fatimid heretics, annex Azerbaijan, the Emirate of Diyarbakir (Place of Copper), Emirate of Mosul, Emirate of Arran and the Emirate of Shirvan. Watch the booty you get for each captured Emir!
If playing Germans you will want to annex the Lombards and independent cities of Neapolis and Salerno in the south and the French realm in the west any other move is up to you.
The Bulgars? Well try and take Nea Roma (called Tsargrad by the Bulgars) and sweep up all Roman towns in the Balkans...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	romania.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	707  

Last edited by Masis; June 30, 2001 at 19:18.
Old June 29, 2001, 16:08   #17
Masis
Warlord

Many Thanks
Quote:
Originally posted by Prometeus
Superb work, Masis!!!
Many thanks Prometheus, though this is only the first version. What do you think could be added to it?
Old June 30, 2001, 19:05   #18
Masis
Warlord

Help!
You may well utter as you seek to play the Romans at Basilios level only to find some of your cities rising up in revolt when you were hoping for a glorious campaign against Bulgaria and the Muslims. The game was designed for play at Basilios level and with some rapid building of churches (fairly cheap) and garrisoning of those cities (Made easy with the Paved Roads terrain, which is why the Romans built them in the first place to tackle these problems). Once this is done you can concentrate on driving the Bulgars out of the Balkans and the Muslims from the eastern Themes.
Old July 1, 2001, 15:57   #19
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

A special unit...
...what can be added to this scen... Maybe a special unit: dunno, the Tzar simeon as a special unit for bulgarians... Pandolfo Capodiferro as a special unit for Lombards... there are endless possibilities about special units. Too bad i haven't finished my "Gök blue" scen yet...
Old July 1, 2001, 16:18   #20
Masis
Warlord

Re: A special unit...
Quote:
...what can be added to this scen... Maybe a special unit: dunno, the Tzar simeon as a special unit for bulgarians... Pandolfo Capodiferro as a special unit for Lombards... there are endless possibilities about special units. Too bad i haven't finished my "Gök blue" scen yet...
Have you played the Age of Basilius scenario? If you had you would know that a unique unit is used for the Bulgar Tsar, and a unique unit Lombard Duke is garisoned in he south of Italy. What did you think of the units I have made so far for the Age of Osman scenario?
Old July 2, 2001, 03:33   #21
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

I downloaded it shortly after I went back home from the hospital. Haven't played it yet...

Perhaps I expressed in a bad way. I was meaning another special unit. after all, these great persons were a more thought match for Bizantyne Empire.

Great units for your Osman scen. A suggestion for you: do a journey to www.elisena.com or www.aitnamodel.com ( or it was www.aitnamodels.com ? Can't remeber very well now... ). There are a lot of turkish and arab units...
Old July 3, 2001, 16:36   #22
Masis
Warlord

Considerations
Quote:
I downloaded it shortly after I went back home from the hospital. Haven't played it yet...

Perhaps I expressed in a bad way. I was meaning another special unit. after all, these great persons were a more thought match for Bizantyne Empire.

Great units for your Osman scen. A suggestion for you: do a journey to www.elisena.com or www.aitnamodel.com ( or it was www.aitnamodels.com ? Can't remeber very well now... ). There are a lot of turkish and arab units...
Dear me, I hope your visit to hospital was not for anything serious?

Less important matters now (yes!) I have never been to those sites, I will now though, thanks Prometeus!

Last edited by Masis; July 4, 2001 at 19:25.
Old July 4, 2001, 04:46   #23
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

I explained it to Fiera in my HS Spanish League poll, Masis...

Anyway, check out your Osman Age thread also - and look at Aitna link page, there are sites with several bizantine-venetian-turkish miniatures you can use as model for your units.