Old June 17, 2001, 06:17   #1
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 20:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ 3 will be like no other civ game
Here is some amazing information i found that proves civ 3 will be unique and much more exciting than any other call to power or civ game.

It seems that now you will be able to build more than one improvment in your cities, this will be awsome as you can increase happiness, econamy, food and science as much as you want. Also buildings give out more effects if they are kept in the city for a long time, it also seems like they will wear down.

This looks like it will make civ 3 much more fun and exciting, i hope they keep these ideas.
Old June 17, 2001, 06:22   #2
Ralf
King

Local Time: 11:54
Re: Civ 3 will be like no other civ game
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex 14
Here is some amazing information i found that proves civ 3 will be unique and much more exciting than any other call to power or civ game.
Where did you found that piece of information? Please, always include a link to the source.

Last edited by Ralf; June 17, 2001 at 07:07.
Old June 17, 2001, 06:28   #3
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

what do you mean more than one improvement in city ??? isnt this the cae with civ 2 already...
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old June 17, 2001, 06:43   #4
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 12:54
I think he means that we can build more than one building at a time. Alternate he means that we can build for example two libraries, so we get double of the effect created of one. I'm just guessing.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old June 17, 2001, 06:46   #5
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
what do you mean more than one improvement in city ??? isnt this the cae with civ 2 already...
More then one library (or whatever) in one and the same city, i presume. IF its true, its probably dependent on city-size. So it aint meaningful to build 2 city-improvements of the same kind, in any old city. Compare with Civ-2 aqueducts and sewer-systems. They only become meaningful to build in order to go past a certain max city-size. However, as long as theres no link to the original source-material, we really cant evaluate this info much further.

Last edited by Ralf; June 17, 2001 at 06:51.
Old June 17, 2001, 06:57   #6
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

this could be quite useful , i would like to see that included, lot sof times i thought 2 temples would be great, would mena i wouldnt have to build a wonder ...
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old June 17, 2001, 17:26   #7
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Give me the source to this information now...
...or I’ll...
...be without knowledge whenever this is true
Old June 17, 2001, 18:44   #8
TechWins
King

Local Time: 03:54
I don't see how this is going to make the game so much better. It really might be a pain of having to build the same thing twice. You alread had to build barracks more than once, does that really make the game more exciting? Plus where did you read this information at? You might have read too much into a certain statement. I think it said something like you can build a colliseum and a stadium.
Old June 17, 2001, 18:49   #9
TechWins
King

Alex14, Caesar's exact words were "Veni, Vidi, Veci." Which does translate into I came, I saw, I conquered like you wrote.
Old June 18, 2001, 12:33   #10
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 16:24
oae

whats the source?
Old June 18, 2001, 12:36   #11
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:54
Source, source, source, source!
Old June 18, 2001, 12:48   #12
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 18:54
There! Up in the sky, it's a bird! It's a plane! No!! It's Civ III!!!!!!!

WHEeeeeeeee!!!

sorry, just had to let out my exam anxiety
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old June 18, 2001, 13:01   #13
Grumbold
Emperor

....and the same source has confirmed that you will be able to quell riots by going in person to the unhappy city and give a speech in the central square. Their reaction will depend on your leaders speech. No. Really.
Old June 18, 2001, 13:06   #14
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 18:54
"....and the same source has confirmed that you will be able to quell riots by going in person to the unhappy city and give a speech in the central square. Their reaction will depend on your leaders speech. No. Really."

you're playing with me, aren't you?
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old June 18, 2001, 13:36   #15
KrazyHorse
Deity

I think maybe Alex 14's confusing the suggestion that some people had concerning multiple improvements with a fait accompli.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 18, 2001, 15:46   #16
b&i_c
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:54
Well I think it would be awesome if you could build more than one of an improvement. It really sucks when you've built all the improvements possible but you still have unhappy people/drones.
Old June 18, 2001, 16:15   #17
TechWins
King

I think I read that too Grumbold. Didn't it also say that you could personally talk to each unit and tell him what you wanted him to do?
Old June 18, 2001, 17:21   #18
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by b&i_c
It really sucks when you've built all the improvements possible but you still have unhappy people/drones.
Are you asking for "a walk in the park"? Why is this a problem?

If your city/ empire is too overcrowded/ large, and/or your foreign politicts dont match your government-type; why shouldnt there be problems that cannot be combated with city-inprovements alone? Perhaps you must raise the luxury-rates, or do something else also.

You shouldnt be able to city-improvement-adding your way out of ALL kinds of problems. Your reply summarizes exactly why I am somewhat sceptical about the multiple-CI idea (if its really have been implemented, that is). They must tweak the idea much more carefully then you suggest - ALL CI:s should definitely not be multiple buildable. I would be very disappointed if all domestic empire-problems could be solved that easily. It can easily become inflationary.

At a certain overgrown city/ empire-size nothing should help anymore, against disruptive economical/ domestical problems, leading to civil wars/ indipendence-declerations and whatnot.
Old June 18, 2001, 18:10   #19
Geoff the Medio
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of Technology
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:54
Quote:
I don't see how this is going to make the game so much better. It really might be a pain of having to build the same thing twice.
If you could build multiple instances of happiness improvements, it would somewhat lessen the extreme importanace of happiness wonders.

Also, having never played a multiplayer civ2 game, I can't be sure, but I assume this would reduce the (assumed) extreme importance of certain wonders in MP games...

It'd also help prevent cities from running out of things to build

and it does make sense... why would a city of 100000 have only 1 temple?

and in situations where cultural wars are being waged alongside conventional ones... if a conquering race held a city long enough, then built a temple in it, they could begin "converting" the populace to their own culture... perhaps without having to destroy the original temple and either a) enraging the populace or b) simply losing its happiness benefit... (those are different... I hope I conveyed why)

... could be interesting? (likely wishful thinking though...)
Old June 19, 2001, 01:56   #20
Alex 14
Prince

I might be wrong, but:

1) It's logical (as Geoff the Medio meantioned)
2) It's a possitive and obvious upgrade
3) I found a thread saying this somewhere
4) A picture proves this (again i forgot where)

Anyway, overall i believe there is about 90% chance of multiple buildings - and maybee not for all of them (eg. city walls).

Quote:
Caesar's exact words were "Veni, Vidi, Veci." Which does translate into I came, I saw, I conquered like you wrote.
Thanks, i didn't know that.
Old June 19, 2001, 02:34   #21
Theben
Deity

In other words:

You're speculating;
and you have no proof.

Thanks.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old June 19, 2001, 03:52   #22
Alex 14
Prince

http://apolyton.net/civ3/images/view...ev_33689_f.jpg

Does that help?
Old June 19, 2001, 04:28   #23
LaRusso
King

Hm, one is granary, well I am not sure what the other one is....Advanced Aluminium Granary? ICBM? Damn...
Old June 19, 2001, 05:54   #24
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Hey, will it may be a good idea to allow multiples of some kind of improvements, or different levels of some kinds of improvements. Granaries seem fine, although some drone quelling ideas sound awkward. However, maintenance for the extra facilities should be higher, to balance things out...

Hey, I noticed the Pentagon on that screenshot! I wonder what that does? Obviously a wonder of some description...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 19, 2001, 09:49   #25
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 10:54
I would have thought all that screenshot did was show off the fact that different eras have different basic buildings... Remember that in Civ2, old buildings lost their function at the start of a new era and you had to rebuild your barracks, your granary... In Civ3, some of these old buildings will continually produce culture points for you, and are thus retained on the city view screen. It's not really building more than one building of each type...
Old June 19, 2001, 10:24   #26
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
I think I read that too Grumbold. Didn't it also say that you could personally talk to each unit and tell him what you wanted him to do?
Shh. That bit isn't confirmed yet because it is waiting on the revolutionary new TeeTech engine being crafted for SimGolf. If they can get it to accept "take the 4 iron and whack it straight down the fairway, allowing for the wind, aiming to slice slightly to take it round onto the green" then they have great hopes that "advance cautiously to Thermopylae and begin destroying the farmlands, fortifying if approached by enemy cavalry" will be possible. Unfortunately they are all hung up about getting the air/dimple/spin modelling right for the golf ball so the golfer interaction bit isn't getting enough attention at the moment. It may arrive too late to make it into Civ III.
Old June 19, 2001, 11:06   #27
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 05:54
i never built barracks until late in the game. i got military techs too quickly.

and i never built graneries, simply because i never needed them.

damn cities grow like weeds as it is.

but i think snappy has this one down
Old June 19, 2001, 11:28   #28
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Well I never used to build granaries either, I just used to make sure I snatched the pyramids. BTW I have forgotten what the pyramids did in Civ1? Can anyone remember?

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 19, 2001, 12:35   #29
KrazyHorse
Deity

Provst Harrison: The Pyramids in Civ I performed the same task that the Statue of Liberty did in Civ II. Wow. I'm talking about Civ II in the past tense.

Alex 14: Take a good, long look at the screenshot. They're both granaries, sure, but doesn't one of them look like it's falling apart or at least slightly obsolete? This screenshot's been discussed before, and I agree with the conclusion that buildings other than barracks will become obsolete and will require construction of a replacement. What, in your opinion, could the effect of multiple granaries be? There's no way they could allow it to halve the growth requirements again; such an effect would allow you to build a size 20 city from scratch in no time.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 19, 2001, 13:40   #30
TechWins
King

I only built granaries once and they all seemed to operate fine at the end of the game. Considering my cities would grow up to the 30's by the 1800's and still continue to grow.

Quote:
Thanks, i didn't know that.
I don't like your sarcastic remark.

I'd also have to agree with you Theben.

Quote:
It may arrive too late to make it into Civ III.
We can only hope Grumbold.