Old June 19, 2001, 19:48   #1
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 03:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Turns of Forum Wars Match #3
Note that this is a SMAC game

Players in turn order:

Blarney (CGN) - bbarbeau@home.com
JSchwab (ACOL) - jschwab@uswest.net
Flo (Poly) - wienerf@alfred.edu
Gusto (CGN) - Gusto@civgaming.net)
Hobbes (ACOL) - jcrocombe@dingoblue.net.au
Dilithium Dad (Poly) - pre@po.cwru.edu

Complete rules can be found here.

2102 has been sent to Blarney

Good luck all

G.

Last edited by Googlie; June 19, 2001 at 20:40.
Old June 20, 2001, 12:58   #2
Flo
Warlord

Local Time: 05:57
2102 sent to Gustos presumably defunct account 12 hours ago. Is there an alternative email adress known to anyone ?
Blarney, do you want to sub for a few turns if Gusto is unavailable for now ?
Old June 22, 2001, 18:09   #3
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 05:57
2103 to Blarney, with a back up copy to our CMN Googlie
Old June 22, 2001, 21:35   #4
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Could you (if you didn't) send to:

linfrew@aol.com

I'm on the road this week and accessing everything thru aol.

Thanx

G.
Old June 22, 2001, 23:22   #5
Googlie
Emperor

!!! PROBLEM !!!

I loaded the save that DiliDad sent me and played thru the six turns (actually played about 5 years worth).

Blarney's start site with his HQ is visible to all factions, an area of 3 x 3 tiles. Founding subsequent bases doesn't reveal any more of the map, always the 3 x 3 grid.

Now it will be moot after fifty or sixty years, but right now is a disadvantage for Blarney and Gusto (as everyone else knows where to go - or avoid going - to find him)

Given that we have played just 1 turn, (and DD didn't, 'cos he couldn't find the password, so just exited and sent it on), I suggest a restart.

Thoughts?

(and apologies - I don't recall that being visible when I playtested the ten or so turns before finalizing it)

G.
Old June 23, 2001, 12:06   #6
Blarney
Settler

Local Time: 10:57
I did send googlie an email on this issue, with my thoughts, as follows:

I have run into this problem before when setting up games, and found that it may be due to running through the factions at a particular landing site, when adding additional units or changing the unit's faction designation. For instance, if you start a scenario set-up from a random start, and think it is better to have the Spartan landing site as a Gaian landing site, it will remember that the Spartans were at that site and provide them with the map location. Also, when you are placing units, and designating their factions, if you mistakingly create a Spartan colony pod on a Gaian base, and then change it to Gaian to correct it, the Spartans may have that point remembered on their map.

Also, it would only take 1 faction to have that in their map memory to pass it on to their partner when they exchanged maps, so may be due to that rather than originally having everyone seeing Blarney's landing site.

Now when I set up scenario's, I always start from a map and place the factions manually, and am very careful with making sure that other factions never have a unit attached to that base site. I don't know if this is the problem, I just deduced that it may be what the cause was, but it hasn't happened in any of my maps since.

This one also has the particular problem of having same faction players, so don't know how that works -- I don't even know how to set that up, so googlie, if you give me a how-to it would be appreciated.

If anyone can corroborate my findings, it would be appreciated.

But yes, we should restart the game. Why couldn't DD find the password? Clue: Mine was in an email!!!!
Old June 23, 2001, 19:26   #7
Googlie
Emperor

As was DD's (but I have sent him another with what will still be his password in the restart)

Not quite sure yet why the map reveal happened. I, too, always place the factions, and never let the 'puter do that, but I did place 2 Gaian factions by error rather than a Gaian and a Greenie, so you are prolly right - the system remembered that the Greenies were Gaians so showed them to the Gaians, who exchanged maps with their pactmates, etc.

(And that's prolly why I couldn't replicate it, as I never bothered exchanging maps in the test as I knew where everyone was)

Anyway, I'm working on a restart, but am currently (till Friday) on a business trip with just my laptop, but I hope to get something out this weekend.

G.
Old June 30, 2001, 20:08   #8
Googlie
Emperor

Game restarted !!

Same turn order, same passwords, different map, different faction colors.

FW3 - 2102 has been sent to Blarney

Concensus seems to be that due to faster loading, posts should be made to:

http://www.planetacol.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000376.html

Good luck all

G.