Old June 20, 2001, 13:57   #1
TVA22
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Nukes in Civ3?
Does anyone have any info on how nukes will work in civ3, I mean, they were never much to worry about in civ2, and in the CtP games, they were the same, in CtP2, there was a cool "auto-targeting" feature, which allowed a cold-war like standoff, but it was still near impossibe to really threaten a civilzation's existance with nukes.
Old June 20, 2001, 15:52   #2
Supreme Master
Settler

Nukes!!!They have Nukes on this game. GOOD!!!I love nukes.
I think there should be like terrorists that can threaten u by putting nukes in your cities and saying they will set it off if u don’t declare war on other civ/s, and u should be able to hire terrorists to do this but if the civ that u r doing it to finds out its u they will.... I don’t know, do something nasty to u. and something else they had I SMAC was when u used a planet buster (nuke) all the other factions declared war on u if they still used the UN charter, I think that could make it interesting or maybe not. Also the people in your civ might get annoyed if u use a nuke (like those people who want nuclear disarmament.)

PS. if there’s something like that already in civII sorry haven’t got any civ games only SMAC.
Old June 20, 2001, 18:02   #3
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

No, Firaxis has said nothing about how nuclear warfare will be implemented in civ3.

I wrote and submitted a column@apolotyn a while ago, it will probably be here in the next couple weeks, read it, it is my complete idea for nukes in civ3.

All I have to say is...Firaxis, if you are going to make nuclear war as crappy as it was in civ2, dont even bother with it, I can do without it...I'll just use a thousand tanks to get at my enemies.
Old June 20, 2001, 18:05   #4
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:58
Yeah, it would be nice to have a better system for nuclear warfare. You should target cities and if attacked you fire back...but I think I have made some suggestions regarding nukes in the past.

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 20, 2001, 18:17   #5
ancient
Prince

Local Time: 05:58
i think that should be implemented with the formation of treatys.
For instance you and a couple of other civs could make a pact about nuklear arms wether it be anti nuclear missile pacts or an alliance against missile usage. so you can have something like a Warsaw vs nato thing going on..
Old June 20, 2001, 18:45   #6
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Er, they have in fact said quite a bit about nukes.

Quote:
So, too, can nuclear weapons, which are set to play a bigger role in Civ III than they did in previous versions. "There are two types of nuclear weapon," says Briggs. "We have ICBMs that can hit anything on the map and tactical nukes which can be put on submarines and launched as cruise missiles. If you think that you can have a war and launch tactical nukes without it escalating to anything more serious you can try it, but it's a challenge in the game just to survive that whole era.

"The nuclear war part of the game should be (and this is something that we're working on) something that you come to and pass through. In Civ II it's sort of the end point. When you get nukes, everybody gets nukes and the game is pretty much over. In this game, if you're the first person to get them then you will have an opportunity to benefit, but once everybody else gets them it's unlikely that you can use them and have a successful game."
From the PC Gameplay preview.
Old June 20, 2001, 18:50   #7
Supreme Master
Settler

nice one Snapcase
Old June 20, 2001, 19:39   #8
MORON
Prince

Local Time: 18:58
Thanks Snapcase.

So will there be MAD like CTP or a anyway of limiting nuclear production though treaties.
Old June 21, 2001, 02:08   #9
TechWins
King

Local Time: 03:58
There were a lot of threads about nukes and MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) about a few weeks ago. A lof of good ideas in them, you should look at them if you haven't already.
Old June 21, 2001, 14:49   #10
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

Snapcase,

I would not trust those gaming magazine previews, some guy posted a message about one that said there would be only 7 civs per game in civ3...and as you know, it was only a rumor, so if I were you, dont go near those magazines, all they do is promote ideas of what they THINK will be in the game, not what WILL be in the game.

And about your quote from good ol' Briggs, where did you get it??? I have closely followed the developement of civ3 since I registered (October 2000 I think), and I have not seen anything on nuclear warfare. I am not challenging you, I just want to know where you got it, so I can look it up.
Old June 21, 2001, 16:08   #11
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

I generally only post stuff directly from the developers- like this Briggs quote. It appeared in the PC Gameplay Magazine preview in April, reproduced last month on the Gamespot UK website (http://www.gamespot.co.uk). Go to "PC -> previews" and scroll down to Civ3.
Old June 21, 2001, 20:16   #12
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

Thanks Snapcase,

I looked it up, and read it...I think that is the one preview that I have not seen/read yet.