Old June 26, 2001, 12:49   #1
Jonny Quest
Settler

Local Time: 11:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Need Help Limiting Technologies in Scenario
I searched the board for a few hours last night but couldn't find the answer to my question. If one of you could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm creating a Rise of Rome scenario that spans several hundre turns. I want to limit the technology to ancient techs because it kind of spoils the feel of the scenario when you're ending it with by assaulting Alexandria with tanks and marines.

I tried editing the middle techs with impossible pre-reqs to make them unresearchable (like making superconductor a pre-req for feudalism) but this caused the application to crash.

I tried editing out the techs by removing their references entirely. This seemed to work but then the huts on the map start giving out late game techs like miniturization and advanced flight and I start seeing aircraft carriers and bombers on the map by the fifth turn of the game.

Is there a simple way to chop the tech tree just short of invention, feudalism and university without making the game go out of whack?

Thanks for your help.
Old June 26, 2001, 12:56   #2
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 19:08
I presume you are not trying to redo the tree but just truncate it at a certain point. If any of the tribes cannot trace a path from nil to future tech, the game will crash. The solution is to make the prerequisite of future tech the last tech you want to include.

As for the huts, maybe it is safe to make the prerequisite of units you don't want to NO NO. It is faster to do this by editing the rules.txt physically.

As for the searching bit, you should use the search button and use a key word like CRASH. The trick is to search in the civ-creation forum, not the HS-Scenario League forum. If you did, you would have found some relevant threads including a thread titled

Tech restrictions in Scenbuilding?

Glad to have been of service.

Last edited by kobayashi; June 26, 2001 at 13:13.
Old June 26, 2001, 18:13   #3
Eternal
King

Local Time: 06:08
Yes I don't know if it's true for all versions, but you can't make a tech a prereq if that tech can only be acquired by the tech it is a prereq for.

What I would do first is change the tech paradigm (either in rules.txt or scenario parameters) to make research take longer, so that you won't get max tech halfway through the scen.

Try changing the middle tech's prereqs to "Plu, nil".
Since Plumbing is already set to "no, no", if that doesn't work you must be using an earlier version to me (I use MGE 2.31 I think). And I'm not sure what to do then, because I haven't made scenarios using the earlier version in a long time .