Old June 29, 2001, 13:43   #1
Juggler
Prince

Local Time: 12:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Rules.txt
OK, I've just created a very simple 2 hour scenario (my first one). I've also edited and changed some things in the Rules.txt file and saved this file in my scenario folder. But when I start playing my new scenario there are no changes which I've made to the Rules file (the scenario still applies to the old Rules.txt file). What do I have to do?

And how can you put a Title.gif picture with the text when you begin the scenario (I'm talking about the text which explains what the scenario is all about)?
Old June 29, 2001, 14:04   #2
Eternal
King

Local Time: 06:12
Well, if you used the in-game Rules/Events/Icon Editor (If yyou're using FW or MGE) that would explain it, since it then saves that stuff in the .sav / .scn files. If you made changes after you saved it using changes made in the Rules Editors, you won't be able to get them.

At least, that's how I recall it, MY scenario was totally obliterated by those in-game editors. (Though the killing blow was struck when I ran delevent and it apparently drastically deformed my map)
Old June 29, 2001, 18:32   #3
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

What, exactly, did you edit in Rules.txt?

Did you "save as scenario?"

Are you using MGE/FW or simply an old version of Civ2?

If you can answer these questions for me, I can probably provide some help.

Exile
"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.
Old June 30, 2001, 08:26   #4
Juggler
Prince

I'm using FW version of Civ2 (not MGE) and yes, I did "save as scenario".
And in the Rules.txt I changed the names of some leaders to see if they would be changed in the game but it didn't work.

What should I do?
Old June 30, 2001, 08:53   #5
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

In my experience . . .
If you want to change the names of the leaders you must do so from the "Cheat" menu -->edit King-->pick a player(whichever)-->edit name. Doing it this way will work, but to "cement" this into place, you must "save as scenario." When I save as scenario, a little window appears. At the bottom of the window is a blank where you can write in a text title. Alternatively, you can simply click on the name of the scenario in that window, without writing anything in the text blank, and it will ask you if you really want to replace etc. If you do it this way, it retains the name of the scenario and incorporates your changes.

I use MGE, but the FW editors are much the same. Here is a rule that I use. If you use the "Cheat" menu to make changes (to terrain on a scenario map, money, forced governments, scenario parameters, etc.), in order to save the changes, you must hit the "save as scenario" when you are done. If you use the "Editor" menu, the changes you make to units, terrain, events, advances, and cities will be saved if you simply quit out of the program after you are done. I don't know why this works, I just know that it does.

Someone tried to explain it to me once, but failed to make it clear. Perhaps someone else can explain why this works the way that it does. (Jeszenka? BeBro? Gothmog? Hendrik? Tecumseh?)

Exile
"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.
Old June 30, 2001, 09:42   #6
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Re: In my experience . . .
Quote:
I use MGE, but the FW editors are much the same. Here is a rule that I use. If you use the "Cheat" menu to make changes (to terrain on a scenario map, money, forced governments, scenario parameters, etc.), in order to save the changes, you must hit the "save as scenario" when you are done. If you use the "Editor" menu, the changes you make to units, terrain, events, advances, and cities will be saved if you simply quit out of the program after you are done. I don't know why this works, I just know that it does.
Ok I can offer both a correction and an explanation to this:

First Changes made whit the Editors are changes made to the graphics/text files, these changes are not saved upon quiting but rather when you hit the "OK" button in the editor.
The changes will be carried out imidietly in the text files and saving wont be necesary.
In the begining there where no editors, they are just tools to manipulate the text files (something most people used to do manually which still might be needed since the editors wont allow you to change everything you can change, plus some things the editors do can seriously desytoy hours of work, I once wrote a long text about the defenstration in Prague in an event for a 30 years war scenario i was working on, only to discover that if you use the editors to write events all text will be deleted after you use an empty line ).
Changes done whit the cheatmenu are stored in the savefile itself and thus you need to save after doing changes whit that menu.
Had they done the game in "one piece" from the begining all this stuff would probably have been in the same menu.

Returning to the original question you need to change the names of leaders and civs in the cheatmenu once you have a scenario file.

Anything else?
Old June 30, 2001, 10:35   #7
Juggler
Prince

OK, thanks for all the help Eternal, Exile, Henrik, I needed it.
If I have any more problems I'll write, the most important thing is that I now know what I'm doing.