View Poll Results: Do Websites Influence Your Gaming Purchases?
OFTEN: If a website doesn't sell me on a game and/or let me get my questions answered, I won't buy it. Period. 8 17.39%
SOMETIMES: A great or horrible website can affect me, but mostly it's not such a big deal. 19 41.30%
RARELY: I don't much follow the hype or care if a company interacts with the public. 7 15.22%
NEVER: I play a game, not a website. 12 26.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 6, 2001, 15:37   #31
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I would buy the game if the website was no good... but the reviews were.

It helps if the website gives the game support after its release- I bought Total Annihilation just because of the game support- and when the support ended, I stopped playing it.

Additional material on the official site merely contributes to the fun of the game.
Old July 8, 2001, 01:09   #32
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:16
I share a similar view: Solid website support can extend the shelf-life of a game far beyond the company's investment in Webmaster time.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 9, 2001, 10:20   #33
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:16
Kind of depends where you are aiming at . I already knew apolyton site from civ2 and CTP. And in the middle of this semester i bougth CTP2, wich i really did not like it at first: bad AI and lots of bugs . I played only two times and then became one of the civ3 enthusiastics like you guys. But Last month, I discovered a mod made by the Apolyton CTP2's community and now i cant stop playing it. So i conclude that if it wasnt for Apolyton i would never play CTP2 again and never recommed it. So my vote is that the Website is very important to the gamer. And sometimes as impotarnt as the game
-Jean Rostand
Old July 9, 2001, 10:29   #34
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:16
Although i dont think it affects the game selling . Just affects the way the player plays and for how long he does it.

In the other hand, affecting these two things it helps the selling of expansions and like i mentioned before the player can reccomend it to others, also helping sellings.
-Jean Rostand
Old July 9, 2001, 21:21   #35
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:16
Yes, the Web bites both ways. A good presence can do an awful lot of good (assuming a good game to begin with). But a bad presence can do an awful lot of bad EVEN IF the game is good. Which leads us to the Firaxis Website again...

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.