Old July 3, 2001, 12:53   #1
Annorax
Settler

Local Time: 06:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
City production/food/commerce
Does anybody know how food/prod/commerce numbers are generated for a city? Since now we don't have control over the individual workers it's kind of a mystery. If I put tile improvements all around a size 1 city, how much of those will actually benefit the city? Are all the tiles worked for a size 1 city, or only one? Thanks
Old July 3, 2001, 14:11   #2
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:17
Well, there have been many discussions about this topic in the past, esp. in the early days, when the game was just released. This thread is one example. I'm not sure if it's the most complete thread but it's the most recent one and the only one that I actively participated in myself and (thus) the only one that comes to mind right now. Of course, if this doesn't answer (all) your questions, feel free to ask for more explanations...
Old July 4, 2001, 13:07   #3
Annorax
Settler

Local Time: 06:17
I just went through that thread you mentionned. Excellent stuff! That's exactly what I needed, a rough explanation of what's goin' on and how the tile improvements affect city outputs. I'm disappointed to see that trade only affects gold though. I find that pretty dumb but anyway. In my current game I'm conquerring the world quite easily but I just reached my max number of cities. That kinda killed my momentum. I'm still at least 7-8 techs away from a new govt and I wanted to speed up the process by increasing trade. But it seems that it's not a good idea. I'll build Nature Preserves everywhere instead...

Another question: what's the max city size one can reach? I was looking at the score page in the game, and there are a few lines dedicated to number of cities of a particular size: x <300 000, 300 000 < x < 1 000 000, 1 000 000 < x < 5 000 000, x > 5 000 000. A city of 5 million would mean 500 workers!!! To me that seems ridiculous. Has anyone been able to go that far?

Thanks again for the explanations.