Local Date: October 31, 2010
What will you do first if civIII is released
You also forget: "Looking out for scenarios"
Old July 5, 2001, 17:14   #2
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 06:19
Obviously, buy it...then play a single player game on Deity with the largest map and most players I can get.

Then I'd look for the first good World War 2 or Age of Imperialism scenario I could find.
Old July 5, 2001, 17:23   #3
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:19
I would play it for 10 hours... then make some scenarios... then look for internet custom units... play for 10 hours... design for 5 hours... Go to Sleep
Old July 5, 2001, 18:25   #4
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 12:19
Im gonna play on the large world map with as many civs as possible. Not as much for the winning, just for discovering the new stuff
Old July 5, 2001, 19:23   #5
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:19
Set aside the next 48 hours of my life to dedicate that time to playing Civ3. I can't wait to play that game. It's going to be so awesome. At least it better be awesome.
Old July 5, 2001, 22:21   #6
ContradictioN

yah, the first game is always the best

I will be playing a very simple game, start right from the beginning, easiest level, medium amount of civs, and hopefully begin on an island, and play the game extremely slow.

The ONLY thing I really hope for though, is that I don't get annoyed with anything, as soon as I get annoyed with one thing, I will feel disappointed. And I hate that

Old July 5, 2001, 22:30   #7
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:19
I'll momentarily stop whatever good game I am playing (Tropico?) and read the first reviews. No doubt they will be glowing. SMAC got a 98% from Gamespot (their highest score ever?), which is a travesty. So after reading about how much they love all the fluff but of course didn't REALLY play the game, I'll sit back and wait for the first bug reports to show up (could take up to an hour).

Now, those bug reports will have a great deal of meaning to me. If, for example, regular missiles have infinite range, I'll decide right then and there NEVER to play Civ 3. That particular one is a personal issue for me.

I'll also listen to people very carefully as they discuss the AI. If the AI can't really handle all the cool and neat stuff, I'll decide right then and there NEVER to play Civ 3 since Civ 3 MP has almost no appeal to me whatsoever.

Finally, I'll be watching Firaxis like a hawk. They'll make their usual appearances here for a few weeks to stoke the euphoria, but I'll be watching the actual OUTPUT from Firaxis in those crucial early days. I'll be particularly interested in how quickly and with how much sincerity they take up the community's first bug reports and feature requests.

And if past events are any judge, it won't be pretty.

Oh, and bonus activity: The very first "It's not our code but your system" comment from Firaxis will cause me not only to NOT buy Civ 3 but also anything from Firaxis ever again. Not a threat or anything. Just the time will have come to let the dead horse be dead forever.

So, there you have it. That's what I'll be doing in short bursts as I go back to playing a game (from a company) that already earned my time and respect.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 5, 2001, 23:36   #8
ContradictioN

That's very positive of you yin

And in your quote, I remember you saying that, was that 99? boy time has flown so quickly, whose the dumbass who gave time wings anyway?

Old July 6, 2001, 00:10   #9
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

First off, rush out and get it..

Then install, and play a short game on Chieftan, just to see the new stuff in the game... play it through, and then play on Prince/King for a true test of the game .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 6, 2001, 00:22   #10
TechWins
King

Ah, Yin26 you're being a little bit too negative. Can't you just be slightly optimistic? Your concerns may be somewhat right. I just have a question did any of the Civ games (I'm only talking about Civ1 and Civ2) let you down? If you can answer yes, then I would do what you're doing, if I were you. Since I only played Civ2, it diffently passed my expectations, I will be calling game stores constantly around the projected release date asking if the game is in yet. Civ2 is without a doubt the best game I've ever played and hopefully not the best I'll ever play. I hope the best game I ever play will be Civ3. I fairly confident that Civ3 will be a better game than Civ2, maybe not the dream game all of us hoped for, but it will still be fun. I'm not intending anything by this but why do you post in the Civ3 forum if you don't have any intention of buying the game? It just baffles me for somebody who has as many posts about Civ3 as you do to not buy Civ3.
Old July 6, 2001, 00:58   #11
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

TechWins:

A good question. Yes, SMAC and the entire way it was handled post-release was a horrible experience for me as a gamer, and I have seen nothing change on the PR side. I fully understand, of course, most people let various things slide and enjoyed the game for what it is. Gettysburg was outstanding, so no complaints there. Civ 2 wasn't a "Firaxis Production," and the guy who programmed it left...and Sid is busy watching tiny golfers play on tiny little hills next to tiny fountains.

It's safe to say that I'm not AGAINST Civ3. I'm against the kind of PR that was behind SMAC and that seems even worse this time around. And by PR, I mean how patches and so forth are handled in addition to just the general "Please the customer" stuff. But if the feedback here is good from the people I trust most, then I'll happily buy the game if all the other lights are green, so to speak.

For me, it's not a money issue but an avoiding frustration issue. And a lackluster, poorly supported Civ 3 would send me through the roof. I hope, of course, that won't happen.

Old July 6, 2001, 01:23   #12
ContradictioN

I'm sure you will buy the game just to experience it on your behalf, no matter what anyone else says. Everyones experience with games is different enough to make the 'try it out' worth a go.

Old July 6, 2001, 04:01   #13
TechWins
King

Quote:
For me, it's not a money issue but an avoiding frustration issue. And a lackluster, poorly supported Civ 3 would send me through the roof. I hope, of course, that won't happen.
That's pretty much the same case for me. When I bought AoE: The Age of Kings I was so mad because I only got about a week (if even that long) of playing out of that game before I got bored with the game. It's not really that the money I'm concerned with. It's the fact that I wasted money on a game that I don't even like. Basically a matter of principle.
Old July 6, 2001, 04:55   #14
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:19
I'll wait for a review on Game Domain, which may take some time since it's a UK website.

Maybe I'll just wait for reviews to appear on 'Poly, much closer to home

Yin,

At least some of us think that SMAC is great. Also I found that Tropico has almost no replay value at all, at least to me. Two strikes against PopTop so far.
Old July 6, 2001, 05:02   #15
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Yeah, I know some of you guys really liked SMAC. As for Tropico, I think it just matches my current life-situation: I'm so busy at home that I can't really get into anything serious for long periods of time. Tropico lets me tweak all kinds of things in little doses, walk away, come back, etc. It has great replay value from that perspective, but it certainly isn't an edge-of-your seat game.

Old July 6, 2001, 05:10   #16
TechWins
King

My thoughts about SMAC are that I thought it was a good game, diffently not great, but I'm not into that sci-fi stuff. So after the first time I beat it (also the first time I played it) I never played it again. If you're big into sci-fi stuff I think it would be a more interesting game.

So Tropico is basically a Sim City type of game, right? I'm thinking about buying it but I'm reluctant to buy any game right now because I haven't liked my past two games I bought, The Sims (became more work than fun while playing the game after awhile) and AoE: The Age of Kings (that game just flat out sucked).
Old July 6, 2001, 05:17   #17
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:19
Like many games I found Tropico has details in the wrong places. If it's more SimCity like I'd like it better, but now there are silly restrictions such as construction workers and teamsters. What's more, AFAIK construction workers generally go directly to the construction sites without going to the office so even these details are wrong.

It's sort of fun for the first few games, but the novelty worn out quickly.
Old July 6, 2001, 05:31   #18
TechWins
King

Thanks for the input, Urban Ranger. I like to here the bad reviews more than the good reviews. That way I'll get the real picture behind the game.

I guess for all you people who will be looking for reviews about Civ3 here before you buy the game, I'll be one of the people giving the reviews because I'm going to buy Civ3 the day that it comes out. There's only one other game I do that with, Madden Football games. Every year I buy the new Madden game on it's first day of release.
Old July 7, 2001, 02:59   #19
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 21:19
The first thing I'd do is buy a new PC so I can run the thing.
Old July 7, 2001, 05:54   #20
TechWins
King

Quote:
The first thing I'd do is buy a new PC so I can run the thing.
What's your pc power right now?
Old July 7, 2001, 06:09   #21
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 12:19
My reaction will depend on when it ships. If it comes out early (pre-christmas) I will be more suspicious than if it hits the shelves next year. What game is currently running on the PC will also factor. If I'm still having a great time with one of the half-dozen seemingly awesome titles on the way then I will be able to resist the call longer. If I'm bored then I'll no doubt ignore my own good intentions of waiting for the initial euphoric reception to wear off and some real comments to start coming in from Apolytoners. Instead I'll buy the darn thing on day one and be one of the euphoric voices hoping that the come-down will be gentle and slight.
Old July 7, 2001, 07:56   #22
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 11:19
Well since I live in Ireland we'll probably get the game several days after the UK release which will probably be 1-2 weeks after the US release so I'll be able to see the reviews. The only thing that could stop me buying the game would be massive bug reports i.e bugs that obviously cant be fully fixed in just a patch or mod.
And Jeff Briggs was it(?) said that they hoped to release the game this fall. If they have it finished and have it playtested enough then would be fine they've had 4 years or more to make it.
Old July 7, 2001, 20:26   #23
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 21:19
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins

What's your pc power right now?
PII 233mhz, 192 meg ram, 2 meg video card.

For the moment I can play more recent games on my brother's 450, but next year I won't be able to. By then I should be up for a new pc anyway, methinks. Civ 3 is a good excuse to make the step up.
Old July 7, 2001, 20:35   #24
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 06:19
the game is being delivered to my house on rush overnight airmail top security presidential courier. so when i get it i'll
[list=1][*]supress orgasm[*]call up my friends[*]tell them to go out and get it[*]start a chieftan game whie theyre out, LARGE world map, play as my fav civ, ROME.[*]play and learn every tidbit i can until my friends get back[*]start a new multiplayer chieftan game, large world map again. play as rome again. know some good city spots i explored last game :P.[*]continue supressing orgasm[*]check the advisors menu for that Crouching Tiger girl.[*]If (Advisor.Foriegn=="Croutching Tiger Girl") { orgasm(); }[*]wash up.[/list=1]
Old July 7, 2001, 21:23   #25
TechWins
King

Uberkrux, we really don't need to hear about your sexual fantasies. I'm sure you're not the only one, though.