Old July 7, 2001, 00:18   #31
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 12:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
THEY JUST UPDATED THE SITE! CHECK IT OUT!

Come quickly now!
http://www.firaxis.com/civ3/

Tee-hee-hee just pullin' your chains.
Like that'll happen.
Old July 7, 2001, 06:33   #32
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:20
Quote:
THEY JUST UPDATED THE SITE! CHECK IT OUT!
Most people aren't fond of losers. So you should stop acting like one. It's not funny to trick people like that. I actually thought you were serous. As soon as I saw what you wrote, I immediately clicked on your link not bothering to read the rest of your post. That's allright, though.
Old July 7, 2001, 06:40   #33
Juggernaut
Prince

Local Time: 13:20
maybe we should be a little careful with the word "loser" here. i mean, we're discussing a game that doesn't even exist yet, probably 6 months before it does.
Old July 7, 2001, 06:58   #34
TechWins
King

Quote:
maybe we should be a little careful with the word "loser" here. i mean, we're discussing a game that doesn't even exist yet, probably 6 months before it does.
Yeah, that's true. It doesn't matter, though, I was just joking.
Old July 8, 2001, 01:22   #35
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:20
Well, if it means anything, I didn't check out the site before reading the whole post because...well...one sort of had to know it was a joke.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 8, 2001, 03:38   #36
TechWins
King

Quote:
Well, if it means anything, I didn't check out the site before reading the whole post because...well...one sort of had to know it was a joke.
I kind of figured that it might be a joke. Then I thought what if, so I skipped the rest of the post. It's not the first time somebody has done something like this.
Old July 8, 2001, 15:46   #37
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 06:20
firaxis isnt updating the site because they are busy developing the game.

personally i'd rather have a low bug count than frequesnt updates.

(although i still believe the game is finished and firaxis is so obsessed the cd never made it gold yet)
Old July 9, 2001, 02:27   #38
TechWins
King

Quote:
personally i'd rather have a low bug count than frequesnt updates.
Yes, we all would but I seriously don't having somebody like Dan making updates will affect the progress of the game programming, play testing, fixing bugs, etc...

Actually the only person that updating the site would take away from play testing is Dan. I won't feel too bad if Dan would have to spend a couple hours away from playing Civ3 to update the site.
Old July 9, 2001, 02:31   #39
KrazyHorse
Deity

This really isn't an "either or" situation. Making a brief site update every week is something I could do in the time I usually spend on coffee breaks (which is substantial, to be fair), and I'm hardly a wizard. It's inexcusable to leave us this long without any information.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 9, 2001, 05:27   #40
LaRusso
King

true, but we can celebrate an anniversary of sorts (um, more like a montlyersary or something.....)
in 2 days it's 2 months since the last update!
Old July 9, 2001, 05:28   #41
Kurgan
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:20
Does anybody think that the delay could be because they are working in a HUGE update with a lot of mini-tutorials, downloads,etc?
Old July 9, 2001, 05:35   #42
LaRusso
King

nope
Old July 9, 2001, 05:37   #43
Kurgan
Chieftain

O.K. just a wishful thought
Old July 9, 2001, 07:11   #44
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 12:20
Well they HAVE updated the site since 11 May ... to stick the E3 links and badges on the front page. So it can't have been a virus that wiped all knowledge of web development out of the team. Perhaps Dan was ordered not to do anything else until he finds five enthusiastic E3 previews of Civ-3 to link to the site and he's still searching for a fifth one
Old July 9, 2001, 09:12   #45
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 05:20
is any one else as pissed about there not being an update in 2 manths as me? they had all the damn news in the world for us earlier in the summer. there would be like 2 news updates in the civ 3 section a day! now the last piece of "news" was some load of crap about yin giving sid meir the idea for sim golf. i don't think that matters anyhow, it seems like the game was really made by the sim people (is it still maxis?)

my point is, why all the news before, further away from the release date than we are now and no news whatsoever now that we're getting closer. it doesn't even make good bussiness sense. there should have been less before and a lot more now, it just makes more sense.

and also, the news about map sizes and the game running on win2000 doesn't really float my boat either
Old July 9, 2001, 09:22   #46
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

It's not that they not only don't give us any update on the game,
they don't tell us anything about when the next update will be.

They could login overhere easily, and tell us: we're busy, no update for the next 3 weeks. Or 'in 3 days we'll post a major update'

or whatever.

but, there's nothing.

CyberShy
Old July 9, 2001, 09:29   #47
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by d_dudy
is any one else as pissed about there not being an update in 2 manths as me? they had all the damn news in the world for us earlier in the summer. there would be like 2 news updates in the civ 3 section a day! now the last piece of "news" was some load of crap about yin giving sid meir the idea for sim golf. i don't think that matters anyhow, it seems like the game was really made by the sim people (is it still maxis?)
hey
hold your horses - it is not apolyton's fault that there is no update. guys here try to make news out of anything. it's firaxis' lazyness.....

by the way, as i understand, it will run on win 95, win 86 AND 2000...
Old July 9, 2001, 17:38   #48
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 06:20
Re: Dan Mahaga and the power of silence...
Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
How can Dan ignore so many bait we throw at him?
We mentioned him, quote him, pray him, insult him, ignore him...

God, how strong is his mind, how good his training of spirit... voice are he's answering a call from Lucas to act as a master Jedi into next Star War movie.

Still wondering why he's short of time for updating Civ III site?

Best regards, Dan.

The reason there has been no site update is because we are working on rolling out a new, official website that will support the launch of the game and act as the official website from here on out.

As for the many polite inquiries as to my job duties, we all wear many hats at Firaxis, and right now we are working on TWO products, which means that everyone is doing everything they can to assist in that effort, myself included. We know you want some updates and we are working to make that happen.

As always, we appreciate your continued support and wish you the best.

Dan
Firaxis Games, Inc.
Old July 9, 2001, 17:46   #49
Mahdimael
Prince

Thanks, Dan. I'm sure this will come to be a great surprise to all of those out there who thought you just go to the Firaxis offices in the morning and proceed to play poker in your underwear while smoking giant Cuban cigars all day.
Old July 9, 2001, 19:12   #50
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

How to put as little as needed information in an answer

Thanks anyway for an answer !
I prefer it indeed to wait for a good big official site instead of an update to the current one.

Can you give us an indication about how long it will take before the new official site will be available ?

(possible - as little as needed info - answers:
- soon
- this millenium
- between now and the release of civ III
- someday
- not today)
Old July 9, 2001, 21:11   #51
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Sorry. Doesn't change the facts, Dan: How long does it take to post a note on the website "We are horribly busy working on the official roll-out of the production site."? A minute? Two? Oh, and we need to actually delete some stuff about monthly updates, so this would push it up to a solid 3 minutes?

As for working on two projects: Cry me a river. That minute (maybe three?) could be spared if you had been working on 10 projects.

Care to give us another answer?

Old July 9, 2001, 21:16   #52
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

By the way, I hope Apolyton is taking note of how this is being handled: Dan is not stepping up and admitting that the site (he) has failed to keep basic promises, but instead is telling us how busy he is. Wait until we need things patched...you'll see the same attitude: "We understand YOU think the game needs to be patched, but we are quite busy working on other things. If we are up for it, we might get around to some of these requests when the moment best suits our schedules."

Amazing. How did the guy have a top fan site with this attitude?

This also goes to my other point that Firaxis' running two projects at once is potentially the biggest mistake they will ever make. Sure, they could have two major hits on their hands, and that's what I hope happens. But look: They are so busy with two projects that the excuse for not getting basic stuff done (i.e. Website) is: "Well, we have TWO projects going, you know?"

Sorry, but when your "Web Wizard" is supposedly so busy that he can't even update a line of HTML and, what's worse, nobody there even seems to care...then you can see that staff is being pulled in all kinds of (wrong) directions.

"Web Wizard Job Description:

1. Develop and maintain Firaxis' Web site in such a manner as to generate sustained and growing increased interest in and sales of Firaxis' games.

2. In the event two games are being developed at once, completely disregard clause #1, make weak excuses to the public, and do whatever the hell we ask you to do."

I suppose that IS a possibility...

Last edited by yin26; July 9, 2001 at 21:59.
Old July 9, 2001, 22:40   #53
joseph1944

I took a verbal judo class two years ago and we were told never to say "calm down" to anyone while they are stress. So Yin how are doing? Is there anything you would like to talk about? The last punch you threw was a little below the belt. We are dealing with people who are trying to give us something we all want. Do I want update? You bet. I would be happy if they gave us an update every week, but that is not going to happen. Dan is reading the board this moment, 7:37 pacific. So be happy the game is coming. Soon I hope.

Old July 9, 2001, 22:44   #54
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

LOL! Joseph: Things are fine, thanks. I have a bit of a cold (not a bit, quite an annoying one). Other than that, I have only a few pet peeves in life. Deflecting responsibility happens to be one of them, however. Repeat offenders set me off on sight.

You are right, however. I need not dwell (as far as this particular "official reply" goes) on the obvious errors. Thanks for the reminder.

Old July 10, 2001, 01:20   #55
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Sorry. Doesn't change the facts, Dan: How long does it take to post a note on the website "We are horribly busy working on the official roll-out of the production site."? A minute? Two?
the fact that they may wanted to keep it a "surprise" and now it was kind of ruined after your endless rants doesnt pass from you mind of course.....
Old July 10, 2001, 02:28   #56
bigfree1

I think Yin has a valid point, being "busy" is not a valid excuse for not updating the site (Suprise or not!) We are all busy with something, yet we find time for the things that are important enough to us or in which others dictate that we have the responsibility to do it. Either way, Dan should stop the lame excuses and admit to not following through on his percieved commitments to the fans of Civ3, for without us, there would be no Civ3!

I am really mad about this, this is not a joke. I feel we are being treated as though we only deserve what Dan feels we need and not what we want. We are not juvenilles, we are adults who deserve more respect in this regard than Dan has offered.

Do you think we are just like children whom you can keep waiting until YOU feel it's time to answer our questions? If we were not the customer, we would have no right to expect more from you, but since we are, I feel you are indebted to us and are fully responsible to answer to us, less you lose many loyal fans whom you've worked hard in the past to embrace. If that is something that does not bother Firaxis, then what I'm saying should fall on deaf ears, otherwise you should do as expected or the unexpected may happen to you!

Old July 10, 2001, 02:28   #57
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
Where can I find the most up-to-date information, on Civilization III? Right here at http://www.firaxis.com/civ3. We hope to launch a full-fledged product site in the spring/summer timeframe. If you'd like the most up-to-date info emailed to you join the Civ3 mailing list.
Markos:

I don't blame you for not having read that part since it was tacked on the tacky website long ago. I, however, read it. What would be a surprise, of course, is the Web Wizard actually keeping to the 'timeframe.'

By the way: "Surprise"! Ha ha ha ha ha...you said it.

Old July 10, 2001, 02:31   #58
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

bigfree1:

Amen, brother! Now let's find a place to duck before the zombies catch our scent...

Old July 10, 2001, 02:36   #59
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Markos:

By the way, if you and Mr. Quick had been running this site with the same cavalier attitude, Poly wouldn't have lasted a month. Surely you agree. Now, the question is: Should an official site be run with the same love of the game(s) as an official site? Perhaps not. A fan site is, after all, a fan site. But should an official site be updated for various mis/changed/new information at least once a week? Twice a month? Especially when people are pointing out errors on your page?

C'mon, Markos. This one is easy to answer...

Last edited by yin26; July 10, 2001 at 02:41.
Old July 10, 2001, 02:48   #60
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
By the way, if you and Mr. Quick had been running this site with the same cavalier attitude, Poly wouldn't have lasted a month. Surely you agree. Now, the question is: Should an official site be run with the same love of the game(s) as an official site? Perhaps not. A fan site is, after all, a fan site. But should an official site be updated for various mis/changed/new information at least once a week? Twice a month? Especially when people are pointing out errors on your page?

C'mon, Markos. This one is easy to answer...
if i have learned one thing over the years about the people who have worked on civ games(from both firaxis and activision) is actually two things

1) they really care about their work
2) they cant always say everything they would like to say