Old July 6, 2001, 01:31   #1
ContradictioN

Animation Movement with the units - somethings ugly!
tiny wee rant

I noticed in one of the videos of Civ3, that when the unit ran from one tile to a tile 2-3 tiles away, the unit would stop for half a second on each tile on the way.

Can you make it so that it runs or moves smoothly from one terrain to the other without making any quick stops? Looks weird

Last edited by ; July 6, 2001 at 18:02.

Old July 6, 2001, 01:59   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Good point. You should be able to toggle:

1. Units stop momentarily at each square? Y/N
2. Units "warp" to each location (no in-transit movement shown)? Y/N
3. Units are NOT animated? Y/N

etc...

I hate anything that slows the game down and only looks good the first 30 minutes anyway.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 6, 2001, 04:53   #3
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:20
I hope that everything runs just as smoothly as Civ2 did.
Old July 6, 2001, 05:26   #4
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 12:20
Re: Animation Movement with the units - somethings ugly!
Quote:
Originally posted by ContradictioN
tiny wee rant

I noticed in one of the videos of Civ3, that when the unit ran from one tile to a tile 2-3 tiles away, the unit would stop for half a second on each tile on the way.
Hmmm, I wonder if it's an intentional stop or a side effect of computer checking for units and terrain revealed in new position, computing "line of sight" for moving unit.

If so, Firaxis can still make it an option, with a little change to Yin26 proposal:
1. Upgrade to Pentium 4 or Athlon 1.4GHz, 256MB RAM? Y/N

2. Units "warp" to each location (no in-transit movement shown)? Y/N
3. Units are NOT animated? Y/N
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old July 6, 2001, 15:02   #5
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:20
If they have different speed toggles, in addition to what yin suggested, like Heroes of Might and Magic III has, the game might be quickly adjusted.

Example:

Your Movement
-
Slow
Average
Fast
Jump (Unit just appears where moved)

Enemy Movement
-
Slow
Average
Fast
Do not show
Old July 6, 2001, 15:11   #6
splangy
Prince

Local Time: 06:20
maybe they NEED TO FINISH THEY GAME!!
Old July 6, 2001, 15:37   #7
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:20
VERY important :

There was a small detail in CTP2 and in SMAC that caused me to HATE CTP2 and drastically reduced the amount of time I played SMAC.

When a unit gets a goto order with the mouse, in Civ2 you can see how it moves from a tile to tile, but it all goes very fast. So it shows how the unit moves, and I like it, but it also takes very short period of time.
But in both SMAC and CTP2 the unit stops on every square, waits there and then moves to the next square. So when you have lots of units to move in one turn, the game becomes a long, tedious nightmare. Because to move a single unit to a distanse of 10 squares takes many seconds, comparing to maximum 2 seconds in Civ2.
Old July 6, 2001, 17:54   #8
ContradictioN

splangy:

Eli:

Old July 6, 2001, 18:09   #9
ContradictioN

Splangy, I roll my eyes, because I know they still have to finish the game, I just want to make sure that they are aware of how annoying that little problem is, because I want to make sure that Civ3 doesn't have any or too many annoying bits in it that disappoint people. CtP 1/2 could have been good, but there were just too many little problems (like the movement). The little things can also put you off the rest of the game. I just want to make sure Firaxis realises this one problem.

infact, I think that if CtP hadn't had this problem, I would have liked it and played it a lot, lot more.

It did get so annoying, that I turned off the animations, but after a while I didn't like that either, I prefered to have animations, but that annoyed me soon afterwards again too. I couldn't win!